Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2778120 times)

CSW

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #6360 on: May 13, 2011, 08:17:29 AM »
Anyone else getting just a little bit tired of hearing Tom saying that he gets no respect or that no one's buying what he's selling?

Tom, you have an amazing show, with 11 years history of top notch work, and a big and rabid fan base. It's a show that comics (and seemingly writing staff) love.  That is all pretty special. I wouldn't worry about anybody that doesn't get it. In fact I would say fuck them, they are the ones missing out and their life is the worse for it. I'd love to have a show as successful as you do. And honestly, it makes me feel like my fan-dom (and presumably that of others) isn't good enough for you. (Which it probably isn't as i'm some nameless, faceless dude on the internet but still....at least pretend it is maybe)

I'm sure that saying this will single me out for some "it's part of the shtick" or "who are you to question Tom" type responses but frankly I'd rather say this and get those than be quiet.
"You know it's like, if you had a choice between 4 slobs dressed as lumberjacks and 4 shirtless good looking guys in tight black jeans and high-top leather sneakers, who would you choose?"

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6361 on: May 13, 2011, 12:37:00 PM »
Eh.  It's part of the shtick.  And even if he's getting some, he deserves more.

BUT, moving right along, the worst moment of this or any other show I've heard was the "old movies stink and should all be written off" bit. Thumbs down.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

cas-vik

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6362 on: May 13, 2011, 01:20:37 PM »
BUT, moving right along, the worst moment of this or any other show I've heard was the "old movies stink and should all be written off" bit. Thumbs down.

Part of the shtick.

Best Part: Hitler was a hippie.  The idea of Hitler doing lights for Quicksilver Messenger Service had me rolling.  I couldn't stop picturing an elderly Hitler with the tiny mustache (aka The Chaplin) in a dashiki behind a light board.

Lawrence Orbach

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6363 on: May 15, 2011, 02:31:07 PM »
The Bonnaventure HEAVE-HO was hilarious (sorry Bonnaventure). Tom trying to roll with his Sloan questions:

"I dunno...ask em' what's it like to play live...heave-ho...this guy...using me as leverage"

Johnny Sprockets

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #6364 on: May 15, 2011, 06:22:09 PM »
Cool school.... 92.... your gonna get stabbed.

I have been singing it all weekend.  Its kind of catchy 

put_it_away

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6365 on: May 16, 2011, 03:49:37 PM »

Steve in North Hollywood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6366 on: May 16, 2011, 04:08:54 PM »
This is Elvis - TCB Karate

Wow!  Is that Bill Superfoot Wallace in the stars and stripes gi? 

Karate... Don't make me laugh.
"I was in the shower and it occurred to me why the Hendersons named their guest "Harry."  That movie has layers!" ~ Jack Doneghy, 30 Rock.

YearRoundSteve

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #6367 on: May 18, 2011, 12:08:52 AM »
-"we'll bring you your cheddar biscuits in a Flash when I'm the night manager!" - John Wesley Shipp (according to Tom)
-"can we finally end the nightmare that is Sbarro? it's like the anti-pizza. Hate pizza? you'll like Sbarro!"
-"c'mon then!" - all british audiences at all british shows (according to Tom. its true though, i hear this constantly in live recordings in england)
- "don't care. crickets." - Gene Simmons (according to Jon Wurster)
-"i hate Santana. So much" - Tom
-"she was in CHUD 2: That's Italia" - Tom

another one for the history books
When I was a kid I wanted to grow up to be a Ghostbuster or a shark. True story

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6368 on: May 18, 2011, 08:19:16 AM »

Followed a few minutes later by a reference to A Face in the Crowd. I wouldn't get too upset about it. No old movies will die at Tom's hands.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Steeley Chris

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #6369 on: May 18, 2011, 10:07:37 AM »
This is Elvis - TCB Karate

Wow!  Is that Bill Superfoot Wallace in the stars and stripes gi? 

Karate... Don't make me laugh.

I like how "The King's" first move is to kick his opponent in the crotch - while wearing cowboy boots.
He looks like that video of that fat kid "fighting" with a light saber. Very graceful, fluid moves.
"Dad gets mad."

mahgeetah

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6370 on: May 18, 2011, 10:08:40 AM »
"I would like to meet the King of Rock n' Roll."
"Tyler The Creator?"
"Who? No, Little Richard."
"The guy from the margarine commercials?"
I'm in my late 50's.

paul

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6371 on: May 18, 2011, 10:48:40 AM »
"hey, let's go to sbarro!"

Greggulator

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #6372 on: May 18, 2011, 01:44:15 PM »
I loved the discussion of I-95 rest areas. The last time I was at Maryland House, I too was weirded out by the Phillips Seafood stand -- especially at how busy it was! Fast food crab cakes and road travel are not a good idea.

Other fave rest areas:
Molly Pitcher, NJ Turnpike (has a Cinnabon, conveniently located halfway between NYC and Philly)
Richard Stockton, NJ Turnpike (it's just a few miles past Molly Pitcher which tends to get busy)
Cheesequake, Garden State Parkway (Located right over the Raritan River Bridge -- a demarcation line of sorts between North/Central Jersey and the Shore and a perfect spot to grab a bite to eat after going to Asbury/Seaside/Point Pleasant)
Westborough, Mass Pike (Has a Boston Market, located right after where I-84 meets up with the Mass Pike)

The Gene Simmons call was ridiculous, as is all of Tom's bitterness towards teenagers (both in and out of Odd Future).
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

JBillington

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6373 on: May 18, 2011, 04:21:35 PM »
I really like the first Gravediggaz album. It's one of my favourite hip-hop LPs. It's way, way better than any of the Odd Future junk I've heard. The most recent thing I heard by Tyler sounded like bad Tricky.

(Yes, I know Tricky did an EP with Gravediggaz)

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6374 on: May 18, 2011, 05:37:59 PM »

"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009