Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2777949 times)

Austin From NC

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #6390 on: May 19, 2011, 02:57:02 PM »
On this topic..

So, I have a CD reissue of this album by Peter Wyngarde, self-titled, originally released in 1970. He was well known on UK TV as a super spy celebrity or "shag monster", and so he was offered to do whatever he wanted on his requisite solo album for which the label showered him with money.

About two or three tracks in is a song called "Rape". This song is likely one of the most universally offensive songs ever recorded and released.  If the clumsy grunting of the word "RRRRAPE!" isn't enough to turn you away at the start, all the various ethnic stereotypes that are permutated into each a "different type of rape" will certainly do it.  I think Wyngarde ends up insulting the entire world of civilization in about 2 minutes.

When people talk about Guilty Pleasures, the phrase is diluted into "stuff that I used to like a lot when I was younger, teehee".  True guilty pleasures are supposed to keep you up at night, making you wonder why liking the thing *should* haunt you for liking it.

This song "Rape" is my trophy guilty pleasure. The subject matter is obviously awful. But I love this song because the arrangements, production, playing, and shameless 'continentale' delivery is just mind blowing and fantastic.  The latter rarely excuses the former. But in this case it does.

This is all to say that I completely understand what Tom was just saying above about how we each have the freedom to determine where to draw The Line, and it's up to each of us to live with those consequences.  However, it's a perfect segue into a pet peeve of mine, which is the dilution of the phrase "Guilty Pleasure." And I think it definitely applies to the defenders of Odd Future, which most fans perhaps not realizing it.

It is so weird that this exists.
"Soylent Green is made of dudes!"

segerandpriest

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #6391 on: May 19, 2011, 03:13:31 PM »
2nd Big Chief reference in as many weeks!

mackro

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #6392 on: May 19, 2011, 05:03:22 PM »
Mackro, how is "Hippie and the Skinhead"?

MUCH MUCH much less offensive.. and very good, and funny.

CSW

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6393 on: May 20, 2011, 05:03:38 AM »
Great show. Happy to be put in my place by Tom. I gracefully accept that after 11 years I might be bummed out on not getting the appropriate respect. I guess I didn't think of it in that way. I will continue to listen though Tom, I'm not gonna turn off.

I'm sad to say that I have played the Donald Trump board game. A friend picked it up in a Toys R US bargain bin a few years ago for £3 (~$5). It's among, if not the absolute, worst board games I have ever played. And Trump isn't even on the Apprentice here, there's a whole separate UK version with a different guy. Go figure
"You know it's like, if you had a choice between 4 slobs dressed as lumberjacks and 4 shirtless good looking guys in tight black jeans and high-top leather sneakers, who would you choose?"

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #6394 on: May 20, 2011, 09:55:36 AM »
The fact the Odd Future is playing tonight at a church makes the impending apocalypse seem all the more likely.

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6395 on: May 20, 2011, 02:40:01 PM »
Does anyone remember when I posted Arthur Kade's blog on here at least a year ago to see if anyone else found it as fascinating as I did?  I believe the answer was no. 

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6396 on: May 20, 2011, 04:13:02 PM »
I only became aware of him when Tom started the back-and-forth with him on Twitter.

Senator Gothman (D-OR)

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6397 on: May 20, 2011, 06:52:53 PM »
Is that Peter Wyngarde the inspiration for that old X-Men villain??

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6398 on: May 20, 2011, 07:16:46 PM »
Is that Peter Wyngarde the inspiration for that old X-Men villain??

Mastermind
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.

Greggulator

« Reply #6399 on: May 21, 2011, 04:03:20 PM »
I only became aware of him when Tom started the back-and-forth with him on Twitter.

Arthur Kade's fairly infamous here in Philly. I became aware of him through this local hipster-ish blog Philebrity. And then there was an article on him in Philadelphia Magazine.

His blog is absolutely tremendous, as are his video interviews. He interviews people who are BARELY celebrities (reality TV cast-offs, MMA fighters) and makes such a big deal about it. It's so intriguing and delusional.  www.arthurkade.com

He also talks about Philly's "nightclub" scene. I've lived here on-and-off for 16 years and I've never even heard of these places.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6400 on: May 22, 2011, 12:22:28 AM »

Arthur Kade's fairly infamous here in Philly. I became aware of him through this local hipster-ish blog Philebrity. And then there was an article on him in Philadelphia Magazine.

His blog is absolutely tremendous, as are his video interviews. He interviews people who are BARELY celebrities (reality TV cast-offs, MMA fighters) and makes such a big deal about it. It's so intriguing and delusional.  www.arthurkade.com

He also talks about Philly's "nightclub" scene. I've lived here on-and-off for 16 years and I've never even heard of these places.

What I find most fascinating is the comments section. The level of vitriol that this nobody trying so hard to fake it until he makes it draws out of people is something to behold. 

paul from sacramento

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #6401 on: May 22, 2011, 04:39:18 AM »
I thought the criticism of Arthur Kade went a little too far. I mean, he can't help it that he sounds like a lispier, more douchey Dane Cook and looks like a scummy Mike Damone from "Fast Times at Ridgemont High." I love that he is obsessed with fame but all his youtube videos have like 200 views on them. If you can't get famous on the website where all it takes to get people to watch your videos is tagging them with sex adjectives you are in truly uncharismatic.

I first became aware of Arthur Kade awhile ago and his videos have just about the same amount of views as they did several months ago by the way. Tom you gotta get this guy on your show. Catch phrases equal ratings you know.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6402 on: May 22, 2011, 07:53:45 AM »
Just think of the ensuing explosion of Best Show listeners.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6403 on: May 22, 2011, 07:31:00 PM »
It would be somewhat reminiscent of the Sanjaya interview. And thanks Greggulator, I will check out the blog.

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6404 on: May 22, 2011, 09:00:22 PM »
I shouldn't have called him a nobody. That's a dumb thing to call someone.