Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2778343 times)

Kris K

Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #6585 on: June 22, 2011, 05:53:40 PM »
"Couple of bad, weird, aggressive apples. Weird, angry apples…"

Jason from Huntsville, AL

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #6586 on: June 23, 2011, 12:37:52 AM »
Sound collage of Tom cutting people off.

Coco: "They're not all locked up."

Also, I always enjoy hearing Sarah from Brooklyn's calls.
"A Man Can Make a Dog Break Its Gaze." - Tom

Spike

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6587 on: June 23, 2011, 12:32:58 PM »
Sarah Smile from Brooklyn? I wonder if she knows Mary Anne from Brooklyn?
CHILDREN UNDER AGE 25 SHOULD NEVER BE SEEN NOR HEARD.

JBillington

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6588 on: June 23, 2011, 01:04:45 PM »
Anyone driving behind me must have noticed my car veering wildly when Tom did the 'Shuuuuuutttt Uuuuuuuuuuuupppppp!' anecdote.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6589 on: June 23, 2011, 09:17:38 PM »
Well, I'm just getting very silly alone in my studio here but I laughed really hard at the "Tinkerbell never came back" sequence
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

CSW

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6590 on: June 24, 2011, 06:44:33 AM »
I enjoyed Tom's bit after the first caller failed, him hypothetically telling his grand kids about it. "Pop-pop called the Best Show in June 2011 and flamed out in the worst way."

That was gold. Especially as at the start that call seemed like it might have potential before going down the tubes.

Tipping:
Also, in countries other than the USA it is not unusual to not tip everybody, like the guy from NZ said. In the UK, food service and taxis is a yes, bellboys (who are rare anyway) and the like not so much. And Tom may be disappointed to hear it, but 10% is about the average. 15% is generous (and my baseline) and Tom's level of tipping would be almost unheard of. This is because (as the NZ guy said) people get paid a better wage here and tips are totally untaxed and hence more valuable (unlike the USA.) I don't believe this makes us, as a country, cheap. It's just the locally accepted way of things. That said, I will tip more than 15% for exceptional service and/or food quality.
"You know it's like, if you had a choice between 4 slobs dressed as lumberjacks and 4 shirtless good looking guys in tight black jeans and high-top leather sneakers, who would you choose?"

JBillington

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6591 on: June 24, 2011, 09:37:14 AM »
Yeah, tipping waiters and barstaff is generally considered more of a bonus in the UK, not part of what people are expected to live on. Barstaff normally get a couple of coins rather than a fixed percentage.

Apparently in China and Japan nobody tips at all, and they regard it very strange that people would pay more than the stated amount. Or so I have read. I've never been there.

If I was in the US, I'd tip everyone. I remember the delivery guy in 'I am Charlotte Simmons' begging for tips as that was all he got. I guess if you tip all the time, you automatically add the tip amount to the price.

CSW

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6592 on: June 24, 2011, 10:15:41 AM »

I just realised that you are probably the closest FOT to me, geographically! Huzzah! Lancashire FOTs unite!
"You know it's like, if you had a choice between 4 slobs dressed as lumberjacks and 4 shirtless good looking guys in tight black jeans and high-top leather sneakers, who would you choose?"

Senator Gothman (D-OR)

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6593 on: June 24, 2011, 04:01:13 PM »
Count Dracula Presents For Your Eyes Only

CSW

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6594 on: June 24, 2011, 04:24:03 PM »
"Did I just accuse that guy of representing Hannah-Barbara?"

JimmyNoodles

• Policemans heel
« Reply #6595 on: June 25, 2011, 08:31:06 AM »
Loved Tom's story of the belligerent lone adult at "Return of the Jedi". The idea of a theater full of unsupervised kids monotonically chanting "A long time ago in a Galaxy far far away" is hilarious to me.

Also, Jason talking about the adult getting nervous during the scene with the Ewoks, that was hilarious.

Litiot

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #6596 on: June 26, 2011, 02:59:46 AM »
pop-pop called the best show...

Rick in Salt Lake

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6597 on: June 27, 2011, 04:08:00 PM »
Well, I'm just getting very silly alone in my studio here but I laughed really hard at the "Tinkerbell never came back" sequence

It would have been wonderfull if Peter Pan had just looked at the audience and screamed  "you assholes didn't clap loudly enough! And now Tinkerbelle is DEAD! You're a bunch of bastards" then the curtain falls ending the play...
"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now. Only much, much better."

"This heaven gives me migraine."

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6598 on: June 28, 2011, 11:51:26 PM »
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6599 on: June 28, 2011, 11:59:23 PM »
Clark sounded alarmingly Ben Kharakh-like during tonight's call.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.