Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2794970 times)

mostlymeat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #10260 on: August 15, 2013, 05:05:03 PM »
I can imagine a documentary featuring Joe Perry and Steven Tyler at a soundboard bringing up things buried deep in the mix and explaining the inspiration for these joy and life nullifying touches.

This documentary exists, and is one of the finest documents of rock and roll ever made. It's called "The Making of Pump" and show the whole process of creating some of the worst rock music ever.

I highly recommend watching the whole thing. Find a quiet time and sit down and watch the whole 2 hours. You won't regret it.

Aerosmith: The Making of Pump on Vimeo

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10261 on: August 15, 2013, 05:16:48 PM »
I can imagine a documentary featuring Joe Perry and Steven Tyler at a soundboard bringing up things buried deep in the mix and explaining the inspiration for these joy and life nullifying touches.

This documentary exists, and is one of the finest documents of rock and roll ever made. It's called "The Making of Pump" and show the whole process of creating some of the worst rock music ever.

I highly recommend watching the whole thing. Find a quiet time and sit down and watch the whole 2 hours. You won't regret it.

Woah. If you can imagine it, the Internet has done it. I am going to check this one out for sure. Thanks!

mostlymeat

« Reply #10262 on: August 15, 2013, 05:28:00 PM »

Woah. If you can imagine it, the Internet has done it. I am going to check this one out for sure. Thanks!

The most interesting character is John "Svengali" Kolodner, who looks like what Rick Rubin became, and performs much of the same function as Rubin does today - he shows up and says "yes" or "no".

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10263 on: August 15, 2013, 08:57:55 PM »
I'd add Bob Marley to the suck list, or at least Bob Marley post-original Wailers.  _Legend_ is the reason I thought I hated reggae, and still can't appreciate what's called "the good stuff" by Lee Perry, King Tubby, etc.

Agreed that Marley began sucking rapidly once he went on his own--and even faster after he got shot, which may of may not be coincidence--but I do think Catch a Fire is one of the greatest reggae albums, in fact just a great album period.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Carver

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10264 on: August 16, 2013, 06:07:47 AM »
Also god the caller to that right wing radio show was disturbing.

It sounded like Kid Jersey. I liked at the end when he corrected the host about cockroaches not being animals.

Maybe the best abrupt change in tone ever.  The guy is rampaging willy-nilly over all logic and decency, yet on the subject of cockroach classification, all of a sudden it's "Good sir that is simply ridiculous".

Sashamak

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10265 on: August 16, 2013, 10:13:27 AM »

erg79

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10266 on: August 16, 2013, 10:42:24 AM »

placeholder

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10267 on: August 16, 2013, 10:44:42 AM »
I wholeheartedly agree with the "Aerosmith sucks" guy.

Steven Tyler's singing and his entire schtick are so grating and awful that he ruins the otherwise-decent early records for me.  The later stuff is completely irredeemable, of course.

There's a scene in The Decline of Western Civilization II that neatly sums up why I hate Steven Tyler:

Penelope Spheeris asks Steven Tyler and Joe Perry some question about something-or-other.  Joe Perry uses his words to answer the question.  After that, Steven Tyler just says "YEOW!"

Why open your mouth if you're just going to make a stupid noise?
"I came into the room/You didn't know I was The Creature."

weirdo magnet

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10268 on: August 16, 2013, 11:14:46 AM »
My first exposure to Aerosmith was either the RUN DMC video, or "Dude Looks Like A Lady". For people my age or younger, Aerosmith's career has been unbearable. Their terrible run over the last 30 years has far eclisped any of the decent bar rock they were making in the 70s. It's hard to listen to their early material without imagining that withered old witch-face holwing away into his mic stand.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10269 on: August 16, 2013, 11:20:30 AM »
Why open your mouth if you're just going to make a stupid noise?

This is, I think, the number one question facing the world today.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

gravy boat

« Reply #10270 on: August 16, 2013, 12:28:27 PM »
My first exposure to Aerosmith was either the RUN DMC video, or "Dude Looks Like A Lady". For people my age or younger, Aerosmith's career has been unbearable. Their terrible run over the last 30 years has far eclisped any of the decent bar rock they were making in the 70s. It's hard to listen to their early material without imagining that withered old witch-face holwing away into his mic stand.

Agree 100% with this. I've never given their early stuff any listen.

AllSussedOut

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10271 on: August 16, 2013, 01:07:03 PM »

ColbyCheese

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10272 on: August 16, 2013, 02:24:00 PM »
I joined the board just to say how much "Rodney 'Not Macho Man' Sorvage" made me laugh.

erg79

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10273 on: August 16, 2013, 06:56:24 PM »
I joined the board just to say how much "Rodney 'Not Macho Man' Sorvage" made me laugh.

The barely suppressed laughter after that was a highlight.

Crusherkc

« Reply #10274 on: August 16, 2013, 09:32:18 PM »

The barely suppressed laughter after that was a highlight.

Tom was choked up, not laughing, you insensitive bastards!

RIP Randall Savage...we hardly knew ye.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!