Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2777882 times)

TrapNeuterReturn

• Achilles bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #10275 on: August 16, 2013, 09:59:03 PM »
Toxic Twins:

Mr. Spacely

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10276 on: August 17, 2013, 02:34:29 PM »
I'm a week behind, but man, Tom's apologia for Andrew Dice Clay is so good. I've always enjoyed Dice -- ironically, "ronically," sneeringly -- but Tom perfectly encapsulates why Dice is now actually, kinda-sorta-maybe a... comic genius.

Distantly, Tom's Dice talk reminds me of the alt-comedy world's wholesale re-appraisal, embrace, and ultimate canonization of Weird Al over these last dozen years. Not sure if Dice will ever get there, but at the end of the day, he has - and does - make me laugh.
If I tried, I could probably make at least six figures for shaking my moneymaker.

I'm on Twitter @asmuniz

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10277 on: August 17, 2013, 05:22:22 PM »
A friend of mine wants to try the Best Show...what episode would you recommend? Sorry, I couldn't readily find an existing thread. Thanks!

justinmh05

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10278 on: August 17, 2013, 07:11:36 PM »
#AndrewWhoClay

amiright??

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10279 on: August 18, 2013, 02:52:29 PM »
Chris Hardwick as Walter White is perfect.

Also, Rodney "Not So Macho Man" Sorbage.

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10280 on: August 19, 2013, 10:03:46 AM »
A friend of mine wants to try the Best Show...what episode would you recommend? Sorry, I couldn't readily find an existing thread. Thanks!

Sorry, folks, I found my old query when I wasn't high...anyway, I thought I would repost this amazing answer I got from Austin from Chicago...

'm of the opinion that the Best Show started great and just got better as it rolled along. However, in retrospect, for a newcomer some of the shows of the first couple of years can be slower-paced and possessed of an unsure identity, as Tom used to play a lot more music (some of the really early 2000-2001 shows, when TBSOWFMU was only two hours long, can be more music than talking). On the other hand, you really don't want to miss the "origin stories" of some of the Wurster characters that are located here. Philly Boy Roy, in his first few appearances on TBSOWFU, had a much different accent and cadence to his voice, for instance. Also, the incomprehension of many of the unsuspecting listener/callers is fascinating to behold - it's easy to get used to the parameters of the show as it exists right now and not realize that the first years, when the audience was mostly local and used to WFMU as *music* station, Tom was truly fighting an uphill battle in getting a show this radically different from all previous radio call-in shows heard and understood. In that light, the first couple years approach a prankish dada theater aspect at times. The Best Show certainly has a much more "underground"/samizdat kind of feel during the first couple of years, particularly whenever Jon Benjamin appeared (solo, or with Jon Glaser); what Tom and co. were doing here was pretty daring, when you consider the context.

As the show progresses, regular callers come, stay for a while, go, reappear; if you're not an Officer Tom fan, skip over the 2002-2006 period. (But why wouldn't you be? He and Tom had a great, easy rapport). Likewise, if you're not a Petey fan (Now THAT I can understand), you may want to skip around some more. This era is where, I think, Tom really comes into his own as a talker/conversationalist/monologuist/raconteur. One of my favorites from this era is the 100 Best Movie Quotes show (June 28, 2005: Tom Starts To Assemble A List Of The Top 100 Movie Quotes To Counter The Dopey AFI Quotes List. Everybody Calls In! Philly Boy Roy Drops In. And NBA Star Mehmet Okur Calls In To Discuss His Love Of Surfing.), because of the rapid-fire patter between Tom and the callers. One other thing that this show (and many others of the period) does is solidify a certain aesthetic around The Best Show and in particular around Tom's own sensibilities; when Tom dispatches many of the callers' quotes as too pedestrian or a bad fit for the list, what emerges is a full picture of Tom's own tastes and preferences (The humor of "Caddyshack," for instance), which heretofore inform the Shows to a much higher degree. The Newbridge mythology gets superthick during this era too. (It's also clear that more listeners are finally catching on that not everything on TBSOWFMU is what it appears to be.)

With the move to a podcasted Best Show in 2006, the show gains incredible popularity and hits a plateau of incomparable excellence for the next few years. "Celebrities" begin to appear on the show more and more, 2008 Mayubenatorial Race routines get truly crazed, Tom and Jon hone their dialogues to fine a fine diamond-y luster, etc. Pretty much every show from 2006-2010 is a "W," in my book. Particularly good shows during this period include 4-22-08, 7-21-09, 6-03-08, 11-24-09, 6-15-10. But essentially it's all of a piece, a piece of such high quality that every show is worth a listen.

A little past halfway through 2010, Tom takes a break, obviously fatigued by the effort he's put into creating something this monumental over the last ten years. Surrounding that break, however, are several shows that are exceedingly dark and personal affairs, full of soul-searching, sadness, anger, etc. Frankly, they're painful to listen to. Since then though, TBSOWFMU has come back hard, each show professional and polished. I pine for the return of some of the early Wurster characters like Zachary Brimstead or the rockers in POUT, but whenever Jon appears, it's a triumph. Also, Mike has emerged as a major player in the Best Show saga, becoming Tom's muse and foil. Gary the Squirrel's ascendance is also something to celebrate. The Four Loko episodes are fantastic, as are the 5-19-12 and 8-14-12 shows. But again, the same old story is that it's all of a single piece - the Best Show, as a totality, rises from the cultural landscape like an earthwork. (The iceberg goes *incredibly* deep.) Individual shows may be gems, but I agree with others that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts - go back and listen to the show from the beginning to catch the continuity of everything: the unfinished jokes that resolve themselves in later episodes, the self-references, and the evolution of a community.

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #10281 on: August 19, 2013, 07:21:01 PM »
Who wrote this show breakdown? It is incredibly touching and on point and it makes me proud of what The Best Show has grown into!

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10282 on: August 19, 2013, 07:53:47 PM »
Isn't that amazing, Tom? No idea who Austin from Chicago is, he wrote it in response to my "favorite Best Shows" thread...
http://friendsoftom.com/forum/index.php/topic,9109.0.html

Austin From Chicago

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10283 on: August 19, 2013, 10:34:14 PM »
Isn't that amazing, Tom? No idea who Austin from Chicago is, he wrote it in response to my "favorite Best Shows" thread...
http://friendsoftom.com/forum/index.php/topic,9109.0.html

Wow! Uh....That was me. I am humbled by your compliment, Tom. I wrote that hurriedly and I think it's kinda sloppily written. Thanks very much. And thanks for giving us such a wonderful body of work to talk about.

Somebody better write a book about Tom and The Best Show soon or I'll be forced to!  >:(
LN5OG

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10284 on: August 20, 2013, 08:53:48 AM »
[ I wrote that hurriedly and I think it's kinda sloppily written.

Tighten it up, Austin.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

TrapNeuterReturn

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10285 on: August 20, 2013, 11:15:49 PM »
Austin from Chronic Seizure?

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10286 on: August 21, 2013, 01:22:17 AM »
"Jawa."
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

Sashamak

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10287 on: August 21, 2013, 11:47:18 AM »
"Well then he can borrow my SLICKER!"

JesseFromVegas

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10288 on: August 21, 2013, 01:25:48 PM »
Someone please put this week's sound collage in a time capsule and preserve it for the rest of time

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10289 on: August 21, 2013, 01:33:42 PM »
Someone please put this week's sound collage in a time capsule and preserve it for the rest of time

It's basically approaching Revolution #9 in its intricacy and spookiness...