Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2777680 times)

Big Plastic Head

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #10290 on: August 21, 2013, 02:01:49 PM »
Tom talking about flipping off the abortion clinic protester every day made me SO happy. Please, please make a video Instagram of you doing this, Tom.

Related:

Supersucker Drive By Blues (13 of 24)
Congratulations. You are now a mouse cursor inside a graphics program that the client can control by speaking, emailing and instant messaging.

Big Plastic Head

« Reply #10291 on: August 21, 2013, 03:01:14 PM »
Andy Kindler saying he had the first three seasons of BREAKING BAD on BluRay but he hasn't watched them yet because he was waiting for the price of BluRay players to come down.
Congratulations. You are now a mouse cursor inside a graphics program that the client can control by speaking, emailing and instant messaging.

ColbyCheese

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10292 on: August 21, 2013, 03:04:57 PM »
"I... did... not... get... the....... MEMMMOOOOOO."

ben

« Reply #10293 on: August 21, 2013, 04:14:37 PM »
The addition of "Hi I'm Dennis" to the mix
Sounds like someone was working as a conduit for nature's natural vengeance.  Just like Jesus.  And some of the others.

citizenlewis

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10294 on: August 21, 2013, 04:14:54 PM »
Someone please put this week's sound collage in a time capsule and preserve it for the rest of time
Can anyone identify all the clips from Tommy Teardrop?
"Hi, I'm Dennis", "my podcast is my podcast", "the movie got accepted at Sundance" etc.

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10295 on: August 21, 2013, 05:06:22 PM »
Someone please put this week's sound collage in a time capsule and preserve it for the rest of time
Can anyone identify all the clips from Tommy Teardrop?
"Hi, I'm Dennis", "my podcast is my podcast", "the movie got accepted at Sundance" etc.

I just started a new thread, with that specifically being the aim.  If it's not there yet, and you know it, feel free to add it to the mix!

-Zach

Crusherkc

« Reply #10296 on: August 21, 2013, 07:02:42 PM »
Steve from North Hollywood had a great call about being in Sharknado.  I almost had a fit when a "Zach from Richmond" called in.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

Steve in North Hollywood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10297 on: August 21, 2013, 08:45:37 PM »
Steve from North Hollywood had a great call about being in Sharknado.  I almost had a fit when a "Zach from Richmond" called in.

Thanks, Crusher!
"I was in the shower and it occurred to me why the Hendersons named their guest "Harry."  That movie has layers!" ~ Jack Doneghy, 30 Rock.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10298 on: August 21, 2013, 09:13:05 PM »

That WAS a great call.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10299 on: August 22, 2013, 04:26:47 PM »
I'm late on this one, but my submission for things that have always actually sucked is Mel Brooks. After his recent bout of publicity, I was inspired to have another look at Young Frankenstein. Besides the production design, it is awful. It moves at a snail's pace, the jokes are incredibly corny, and most of the gags are telegraphed from a mile away. And he's always been awful - the 2000-year-old Man? Joyless.

Even as a kid, I could tell Spaceballs was idiotic. It's as though he makes kids movies, but they're too bawdy and tasteless for kids.

The Producers is the only exception to this that I am aware of! It's pretty funny.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10300 on: August 22, 2013, 05:27:23 PM »
I'm not ready to put him in the "always actually sucked" category, but it's true that the last time I watched Young Frankenstein, it pretty much amazed me how poorly it's aged. I kind of think Blazing Saddles might hold up better, but I'm not gonna bet much on it.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

crapawolf

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10301 on: August 22, 2013, 05:50:29 PM »
the star wars racism thing had to be said and was one of the best things ever...

also, the sound collages are art. i've worked in a couple galleries, and what tom does here rivals, if not trumps, a lot of what i've seen/heard. this last weeks was good, and took things to another dimension, but the previous weeks collage was almost complete perfection. it really put together so many despondent elements into a completely coherent, incoherent whole that was somehow uniform and concise. the mark of a true artistic genius.

Austin From Chicago

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10302 on: August 22, 2013, 07:02:36 PM »
the star wars racism thing had to be said and was one of the best things ever...

also, the sound collages are art. i've worked in a couple galleries, and what tom does here rivals, if not trumps, a lot of what i've seen/heard. this last weeks was good, and took things to another dimension, but the previous weeks collage was almost complete perfection. it really put together so many despondent elements into a completely coherent, incoherent whole that was somehow uniform and concise. the mark of a true artistic genius.

Yeah, Tom's collages are definitely in league with the best of Negativland's "Over the Edge" and People Like Us. If he decides to take the Best Show in that direction  I'd follow along gladly. It's incredible listening.

Anyhow, one thing I'd love for Tom to sample in his next Piggie TearPen collage is Pauly Shore's "Obama Got Osama" rap - but not the "produced" version in this video, but the weird, cringe-y a capella version he did on Maron's WTF a few months ago.

Obama Got Osama
LN5OG

wood and iron

« Reply #10303 on: August 22, 2013, 07:13:43 PM »
Has anyone mentioned Chris Morris's Jam/Blue Jam? It was a radio show that turned into a TV show that Tom's MegaMix reminds me of. It was ambient and strange and very similar.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10304 on: August 22, 2013, 08:32:21 PM »
You know what cracked me up? Dean Norris saying "I brought you flowers, my dear."