Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2794958 times)

erg79

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #10905 on: January 22, 2015, 02:50:25 PM »
I hope that two car horns becomes a recurring thing.

rhelly

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10906 on: January 22, 2015, 03:46:50 PM »
If you wanted to hear Skynyrd's "Simple Man" but worse, this is for you:

Shinedown - Simple Man (Video)

ShiftlessRastus

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10907 on: January 22, 2015, 11:12:10 PM »
"Judge-y little worm" was a real jewel in the episode crown.

Mr. Colin

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10908 on: January 23, 2015, 02:21:05 PM »
I was trying to figure out what Jon's list of bands reminded me of, because it was ringing more than just comedy bells, and then tonight I starting catching up on episodes of FOT (and FODolenz) Andrew Sandoval's awesome Come to the Sunshine podcast, and he starts by listing what bands will appear on that episode, and launches into a litany of impossibly obscure 60s bands with ridiculous names, and it made me giggle.

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10909 on: January 23, 2015, 03:23:52 PM »
Does anyone have a jpeg of the handwritten list of bands that Wurster was circulating?

rpm1200

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10910 on: January 23, 2015, 04:28:53 PM »
The archive of Faceless Man's Myspace page: https://web.archive.org/web/20081118201555/http://www.myspace.com/facelessman2008
Hope their CD comes out soon.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10911 on: January 23, 2015, 05:12:07 PM »

I cant believe Tom had never heard Simple Man, Lynyrd Skynyrd is like a right of passage for teenage boys here in the south. Did anybody see that bootleg that surfaced earlier this week of Neil Young doing Sweet Home Alabama in the 70's with the Stray Gators?

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10912 on: January 23, 2015, 05:13:06 PM »
Does worn refer to his vocal cords?

agent_jimmy

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10913 on: January 23, 2015, 05:22:06 PM »
i'm also a fan of "guns and rose".

mostlymeat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #10914 on: January 23, 2015, 07:31:05 PM »

I cant believe Tom had never heard Simple Man, Lynyrd Skynyrd is like a right of passage for teenage boys here in the south. Did anybody see that bootleg that surfaced earlier this week of Neil Young doing Sweet Home Alabama in the 70's with the Stray Gators?

"Simple Man" has a strange story....it was never a hit in it's day, rather it was resurrected by classic rock radio something like 10 years ago....

Weird, right? Also  that song sucks.

Gregg Almann disses Skynrd pretty hard in his autobio, it's great. "Yeah, we were hippies and they were rednecks" or thereabouts. He loved Marshall Tucker Band though! MTB RULES!!!! 

-AG

amc19

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10915 on: January 24, 2015, 12:52:40 AM »
Could Mit Hamine have been responsible for 'Worn'?
It's not, but It definitely crossed my mind when Tom first played it.

Mycleach

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10916 on: January 24, 2015, 04:49:25 PM »
The archive of Faceless Man's Myspace page: https://web.archive.org/web/20081118201555/http://www.myspace.com/facelessman2008
Hope their CD comes out soon.

More on Faceless Man and their legendary Myspace presence....
http://terminal-boredom.com/forums/index.php?topic=12067.0

The Gentleman Gh0st

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10917 on: January 25, 2015, 12:08:17 AM »
How Mordecai was directed by Less Anderson  :D
"If peeves were pets I was an animal hoarder at this thing"

bachwards

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10918 on: January 25, 2015, 02:14:54 AM »
Learning that I-Ron followed up his reggae incarnation with a prog band.

mackro

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #10919 on: February 04, 2015, 01:53:03 PM »
I LOVED last night's show!  If this is what the Best Show is turning into, this is going to be a great year.  It had all the ingredients of a classic FMU-era Best Show.

BEST:

- Long Island City, Queens call... the brief "mute" moment, especially.

- SPIKE!

- Gregg vs. Tim... Very reminiscent of previous calls by Tim & Eric, although Gregg's deadpan optimism was sooo dry and amazing.  I expected him to be funny, and his ability to not flinch at all throughout the whole call was even funnier than expected. It probably helps if you've been following Gregg Turkington's various outlets.

- Darren: I love the Newbridge calls where Tom finds out he's left out of the most amazing event ever right in Newbridge, but especially as the key narrative.

And this was the first show with an ad.  I agree it was painless.  Maybe it would have been a little jarring to new listeners, but Tom has done very similar when he's had guests on the phone or in the studio on WFMU, where Tom goes out of his way to plug certain things for guests e.g. Todd Barry.  The ad was basically just that, but without the company on the phone or in studio, that's all.  I'm really happy Tom didn't break character at all throughout it either.  It's actually reminiscent of old radio ad spots where the DJ recites the ad, except relatively unscripted here.

Also, I'm looking forward to THE HALF-HOUR OF POWER.  That final stretch of quick unscreened calls in the finale is one of my favorite parts of the Best Show, so if the plan for the HALF-HOUR OF POWER is basically an extended version of that, it will be truly awesome.

"WORST" in quotes:
- not really "worst" at all if it's a cost-saving measure, but having to play music from the Free Music Archive and announcing that. Nothing wrong with the Free Music Archive at all, but it felt that Tom was constrained on the Music portion of last night's show.  That said, I understand that if it's a publishing fees issue, they are punishingly expensive, having been in college radio before.  I just really hope the BC'ing falls under Fair Use, so it can continue, and at least live out its full life.  Also, if this means that small labels can work directly with Tom on something, maybe this will blossom into something unique too.  (I did see the tweet calling out for "Cool Labels" to make contact.)

- oh, and I guess we won't have calls about the Jeff Bridges meditation album, for obvious reasons.

SO happy with last night's show overall.