Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2778023 times)

Bull Shannon

• Policemans heel
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #12315 on: August 07, 2017, 11:58:04 AM »
I'd be genuinely curious to hear what the Cat fans think are some of her classic moments without looking them up. Even the most divisive regular has had at least a handful of memorable moments.

I'm not a "Cat fan" but I am baffled by the focused dislike on this forum. I have so many callers I enjoy who I wouldn't be able to pinpoint a "classic moment" from. I could say I like that one dude caller who keeps calling four times a show with nothing to talk about, but I bet you'd tell me that's four different dudes.

Just finishing up the Joe Mande episode and was listening rapt to the Miami mob web designer waiting for the grand e-cig for legs reveal. Just when I thought I had him pegged...

God, I'd take a Steven Universe fan calling in over some dude who lives and breathes Best Show to the extent they're a complete dud on-air any day.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12316 on: August 07, 2017, 01:20:10 PM »

I'm not a "Cat fan" but I am baffled by the focused dislike on this forum. I have so many callers I enjoy who I wouldn't be able to pinpoint a "classic moment" from. I could say I like that one dude caller who keeps calling four times a show with nothing to talk about, but I bet you'd tell me that's four different dudes.

Eh, it's just a couple of people.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Mr. Colin

• Policemans heel
« Reply #12317 on: August 07, 2017, 02:52:00 PM »
There are a couple of semi-regular callers who came in from the Steven Universe-verse who don't bring much but diversity and enthusiasm, but those aren't terrible things.  I feel no need to pick on any of them or call them out by name -- which, on second thought, might be why they aren't great radio, even if it would be shitty to dump them.

I think you may be painting people who were introduced to the Show via Steven Universe with a broad brush, but I otherwise agree with this.

Don't get me wrong -- we have gotten some terrific callers from the SU fandom, and not all of them are kids.  I'm not naming names because I don't want to pick on the enthusiastic-but-not-too-fascinating ones.

Flat1ander

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #12318 on: August 10, 2017, 11:04:11 AM »
What an incredible interview w/ James Murphy! You could tell James really wanted to be there and the chemistry between him and Tom was undeniable. I hope he comes back some time when he's less busy. A+ show all around with my favorite/funniest part being when Todd-o-phonic Todd called in to give James the business over a pilfered peanut butter pie from forever ago. Great stuff!

bdb318

• Policemans heel
« Reply #12319 on: August 10, 2017, 03:04:53 PM »
What an incredible interview w/ James Murphy! You could tell James really wanted to be there and the chemistry between him and Tom was undeniable. I hope he comes back some time when he's less busy. A+ show all around with my favorite/funniest part being when Todd-o-phonic Todd called in to give James the business over a pilfered peanut butter pie from forever ago. Great stuff!

I liked it when Tom mentioned "Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water" and James burst out laughing. That was funny.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12320 on: August 10, 2017, 06:56:11 PM »
What was the other band that guy said besides Sonic Youth that did something new with rock n roll in the past 30 years?

bdb318

• Policemans heel
« Reply #12321 on: August 10, 2017, 07:42:23 PM »
What was the other band that guy said besides Sonic Youth that did something new with rock n roll in the past 30 years?

Caroliner, I think.

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #12322 on: August 10, 2017, 10:17:32 PM »

Caroliner, I think.

It was. He specifically referenced their 1985 album, Rear End Hernia Puppet Show. Terrible caller, but it did create a nice Charles R. Martin (aka The Music Scholar) vibe, complete with some Limp Bizkit banter. It also prompted a nice retort from Tom about this caller flaunting his Nuf Sed cred, the independent label home to many Caroliner releases. Nuf Sed's best release is World of Pooh's Land of Thirst (1989), out of print, never issued on CD and currently on sale for $82.88 USD on discogs!
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

Mike Desert

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #12323 on: August 11, 2017, 03:55:13 PM »

Caroliner, I think.

Our drummer was in that band. Then again so was everyone
Another San Fransisco Toilet Person

JeffertonFromTX

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #12324 on: August 15, 2017, 08:09:41 PM »
I finally got caught up with the last few weeks of the show and holy crow, Tom and the crew have been on fire here lately. I especially love the return of Tom's high falutin "scholarly" voice that he's brought back to hammer the egg heads.
Wailin' the eff outta that vibraslap!

Carver

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #12325 on: August 16, 2017, 07:39:28 AM »

AllSussedOut

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #12326 on: August 16, 2017, 02:30:04 PM »
My God.

Mike Desert

Flat1ander

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #12328 on: August 17, 2017, 01:03:43 PM »
"Who cares? I haven't slept in 40 f*cking years."

Mike Desert

« Reply #12329 on: August 17, 2017, 07:58:15 PM »
Really been loving the love Jon has been giving to Bad News Bears in Breaking Training