Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2778392 times)

Martin

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2008, 07:39:06 PM »
I'm re-listening to Wurster's second call. It's amazing. One of my favorite kind of calls - the obscure namedropping and bizarre popcultural references, plus lots of nods to everybody listening who has some knowledge of previous calls and the Newbridgverse. Similar in style to "Club Pizzazz" and Matthew Tompkins' calls.

Pete Velcro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2008, 11:19:19 PM »
The pre-recorded top of the show GOMP might have been the best so far. For one thing, it wasn't even a GOMP. And I love how it faded out with Tom giggling like a little kid, acting it out loud to himself.   

dania

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2008, 12:06:30 AM »
When PFT asked if Tom put googly eyes on the ABBA box

Steve in North Hollywood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2008, 03:08:22 AM »
(posted this in the wrong thread earlier)

PFT's video store stories cracked me up, especially the one about the angry "Ballroom Dancing" customer.  Like Steve, I also liked the "Surfin' Bird" moment.

Worst part of the show...The Whitest Kids You Know caller who got unceremoniously GOMP'd.

Thanks, Jon from Maplewood.  I too was a bit thrown by the Whitest Kids You Know GOMP.  Did the kid swear and Tom had to dump it out?  Or does Tom just severely dislike the Whitest Kids? 
"I was in the shower and it occurred to me why the Hendersons named their guest "Harry."  That movie has layers!" ~ Jack Doneghy, 30 Rock.

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2008, 03:42:52 AM »
I thought Tom smelled a viral marketing strategy.

Pete Velcro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2008, 09:45:43 AM »
He's probably not that familiar with that particular comedy troop and thought he was hearing something vaguely racist.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2008, 10:01:12 AM »
I thought Tom smelled a viral marketing strategy.

That was my first thought as well.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

gravy boat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2008, 10:13:33 AM »
I enjoyed how much PFT was enjoying Tom's rapid-fire GOMPs towards the end of the show.

About 6 minutes from the end, the guy with the professional kidnapper's voice, gets frustrated with Tom interrupting his celebrity sighting story to riff on his voice.

Kidnapper: You want to hear this story?

A: No, I don't want to hear this story.
[Hang up]

Itslikeimsayin

• Policemans heel
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2008, 05:35:16 PM »
The whole show was great. I loved the line that went something like, "If they said 'Mamma Mia and its $1.5 million budget,' I'd say, 'What'd they do with that extra half a million?'"

Those two quick-hit Wurster calls were wonderful little bonuses. Not to pull back the curtain too far, but I wonder if things like the Randy from Tunnelbridge call was even planned beforehand.

AaronC

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2008, 07:11:18 PM »
I laughed at "Alexandra Jamieson, better known as Morgan Spurlock's Girlfriend" and then got swept up in PFT's eruption.  When Ramsey revealed that his second celebrity sighting was in fact Morgan Spurlock, I laughed so hard that I thought I would require hospitalization for internal injuries.

Exactly! 

jamesp

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2008, 07:33:37 PM »
From when I listened on Tuesday, I tuned in in time to hear the topic start with PFT in studio and I especially loved the Morgan Spurlock's girlfriend call and Wurster's call about seeing Madonna at MSG.

Speaking of this week's show, this story here reminded me of Tom talking about what a loser Ben Stein is:

http://mediamatters.org/items/200807240001?f=h_latest

Ben Stein should be somewhere on that talent list (best/worst) towards the bottom. Everything about that guy (being Nixon's speech-writer, the anti-evolution documentary, ClearEyes commercials, & that dumb game show) makes me despise him so much.

Itslikeimsayin

• Policemans heel
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2008, 08:51:38 PM »
Don't forget he gave us this, though:

"Bueller?

Bueller?"

Danny Bonaduce is much more despicable, imo. I can't stand that guy.

jamesp

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2008, 09:24:23 PM »
Don't forget he gave us this, though:

"Bueller?

Bueller?"

Danny Bonaduce is much more despicable, imo. I can't stand that guy.

I feel like Danny at least knows he's a creep, but he does steroids so it's tough to decide which is worse.

My biggest complaint about Bonaduce is that I heard his radio show one time and he has the worst voice imaginable for radio.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2008, 01:14:27 AM »

My biggest complaint about Bonaduce is that I heard his radio show one time and he has the worst voice imaginable for radio.

You don't find the voice of someone who sounds like they gargle glass shards every morning soothing?

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2008, 02:02:36 AM »
Batman confusion was pretty great.