Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2777746 times)

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #195 on: September 13, 2008, 11:54:45 AM »
About the whole 'metal is for children' thing -- isn't Tom a big comic book fan (and not the grown-up kind, either)? Don't mean to pick on him, but you know... glass houses and all.

I'm not sure where I picked up that idea; maybe I'm confusing his tastes with all those 'Comedians of Comedy' guys. Someone wanna set me straight?

Yeah, yeah.  Not to give you a hard time or anything, but is anyone actually listening to the show (or enjoying any comedy) because they want a coherent, internally consistent philosophical worldview?  "Metal is for children" is funny.  No one is saying anybody has to stop listening to metal (which actually terrified me as a child, incidentally).
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

crumbum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #196 on: September 13, 2008, 12:20:33 PM »
About the whole 'metal is for children' thing -- isn't Tom a big comic book fan (and not the grown-up kind, either)? Don't mean to pick on him, but you know... glass houses and all.

I'm not sure where I picked up that idea; maybe I'm confusing his tastes with all those 'Comedians of Comedy' guys. Someone wanna set me straight?

Yeah, yeah.  Not to give you a hard time or anything, but is anyone actually listening to the show (or enjoying any comedy) because they want a coherent, internally consistent philosophical worldview?  "Metal is for children" is funny.  No one is saying anybody has to stop listening to metal (which actually terrified me as a child, incidentally).

Point taken. I did get a kick out of the Metallica rant, and mostly agreed with it. The parallel with other 'kid's stuff' just occurred to me later on and I wasn't sure if I was correct about the comics thing. More curious than anything else.

As for other favourite moments this (and last) week, I'm totally on board with 'heave ho' (no pun intended). I hope he sticks with it.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #197 on: September 13, 2008, 12:22:02 PM »
Oh, OK. To answer your question, Tom has talked about comics on the show fairly often.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #198 on: September 13, 2008, 12:30:23 PM »

Punk rock is not exactly known for its emotional maturity either, and we all know from the music segments that it's a favorite genre.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

crumbum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #199 on: September 13, 2008, 01:02:54 PM »

Punk rock is not exactly known for its emotional maturity either, and we all know from the music segments that it's a favorite genre.

Where would we be without kid's stuff?

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #200 on: September 13, 2008, 01:59:03 PM »
What a hilarious show.  The Kid Rock stuff was fantastic.

Man, I had no idea Tom was trying to talk to me about Davy Jones.  I wasn't listening live and just assumed I should choogle on out of there so he could get on with his bit.  It makes me want to call again and just laff at Tom's jokes, but it's going to be a while before I can listen live again and it's hard to get what's going on without context.

Dave, I'm sorry I didn't adequately credit you for the Tom/Dogmo birthday idea, but if it's any consolation, Tom scolded me for it!!

No worries, it was supposed to turn into a high-concept joke about being plagiarized by a famous playwright, but right away I lost the thread and it turned into that doofusy racism thing. I was bad all around this week, I think I am on a self-imposed ban, unless I have a brilliant response to a topic in the next couple of weeks.

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #201 on: September 13, 2008, 02:04:28 PM »
Yeah, the Best USO Show on WFMU was definitely my favorite part. 

"Hellooooo Troops".  I could hardly breathe I was laughing so hard.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #202 on: September 13, 2008, 02:08:31 PM »
The troops getting James'd might've been my favorite.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

erechoveraker

« Reply #203 on: September 13, 2008, 02:12:52 PM »
I keep laughing about the "Brian Hussein" thing, especially every time I now see that cable commercial.

TheShamblers

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #204 on: September 13, 2008, 10:37:26 PM »
The last "heave ho" of the show.  It was so casual.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #205 on: September 14, 2008, 12:33:59 AM »
The last "heave ho" of the show.  It was so casual.

Yes, that was great.  I loved the afterthought-ness of it.  Ditto on the troops getting James'ed, especially their subsequent bafflement.

Dave, you can't even imagine how extensive my plagiarism of your jokes is.  Luckily, they're just plays, so no one will ever see them.

n8 on

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #206 on: September 14, 2008, 03:29:26 AM »
Pat from jersey city eliciting a slight guffaw (seemingly in spite of himself) from tom with his anecdote about being punched in the face on the PATH train by a mr. t-looking guy.  "He looked kinda like Mr. T...Except, like, less muscular...Without a mohawk."  I'm not sure why, but this got me for some reason.

crumbum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #207 on: September 14, 2008, 12:38:57 PM »
Tom as Seth Rogan -- he really nailed the phlegmy quality.

moonshake

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #208 on: September 15, 2008, 10:12:23 AM »
I love how early on in the show Tom would start the clock well after a caller had started speaking, just so that he could say "Stop the clock!"
"You want me to recognize you and I won't. I won't acknowledge you! I deny you. So you keep begging and begging. The door is slammed on you. I want nothing to do with you. You will die unrecognized by me."
-Tom Scharpling

lemke

• Policemans heel
« Reply #209 on: September 16, 2008, 12:06:51 AM »
I love how early on in the show Tom would start the clock well after a caller had started speaking, just so that he could say "Stop the clock!"

YES!
"Animals Tour" -  :-\