Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2778971 times)

andrew in philadelphia

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #510 on: October 24, 2008, 08:05:47 PM »
I feel like the show is starting to make me hate my own city with the constant portrayal of it as the worst place on earth.

i'm always the first to rush to defend of my hometown when outsiders are ragging on it, but in all fairness, most of the criticism heaped on philadelphia is right on the money.

except for tom's racist cabbie. that guy was a total creep and couldn't have been more wrong.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #511 on: October 24, 2008, 08:56:29 PM »
My wife and I are still laffing about Tom hanging up on the big bowl of mashed potatoes guy.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Cotton

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #512 on: October 24, 2008, 11:20:31 PM »
i'm always the first to rush to defend of my hometown when outsiders are ragging on it, but in all fairness, most of the criticism heaped on philadelphia is right on the money.

except for tom's racist cabbie. that guy was a total creep and couldn't have been more wrong.

I dunno, I don't think it's any better or worse than most cities. I certainly don't think it's as racist on uncouth as people seem to think it is (the suburbs, however, are debatable with the racism). I even saw someone help a guy in a Rams jersey up at the Eagles home opener this year, which surprised me. I dunno, after living in Southern California, I prefer the occasional rudeness to the utter self-absorption out there.

breadharrity

• Policemans heel
« Reply #513 on: October 25, 2008, 12:23:57 AM »
So I'm assuming most listeners also checked out the new Best Week Ever or will at one the many reruns over the weekend, but wow, I can't believe PFT did a routine with Kevin Smith. I gotta give it to Paul because he did pretty well not rolling his eyes during the obvious bit. I'm not sure if they discussed the king of Creeps during on Tuesday's show, but he always seems to come up anyway. I salute you PFT!

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #514 on: October 25, 2008, 01:10:21 AM »
The triumphant return of LAHRRY DA PERV!
  • sending a shout out to Paul F. Tompkins, who he loved on a "memorable" "one episode type of deal" on King of the Hill
  • trying to vote for Mayor (with PFT cracking up in the background)
  • coming out as both AP HOF Mike's Colin Powell and William Ayers: "If Michael wudn't runnin', Lahrry da Perv's hat would be right in dere. But since Michael's runnin', I can't do dat to Michael. I jus' gotta tell everybody to vote for Michael dere."
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

Steve in North Hollywood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #515 on: October 25, 2008, 06:05:10 AM »
Samir, you had the sleeper line of the night with "why I ought-ta." That cracked me up.

Wow, I barely heard him say that and I've tried* to listen to the episode almost 5 times now.

I also enjoyed when Samir said "What?  What?  I've got to lie in a fridge?  What, what?" while imagining Harrison Ford's reaction to his first read of the script for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Dud.

*Because people have a bad habbit of coming into my office and screaming when I'm trying to do my work quietly ... so that I can hear Best Show
"I was in the shower and it occurred to me why the Hendersons named their guest "Harry."  That movie has layers!" ~ Jack Doneghy, 30 Rock.

samir

• Space Champion!
« Reply #516 on: October 25, 2008, 08:58:22 AM »
fudge toilets. 

that makes much more sense than chocolate toilets.  and funnier too.

I'm listening to Prank Patrol on the podcast, and even Grandma Phyllis mentions fudge.
Hopefully, Laurie will, too, on her show that's about to start.
"Son, there's a thin line between crazed and rabid"

theyellowchair

« Reply #517 on: October 25, 2008, 11:00:50 AM »
Rick and Bradford Coleman present:

My Brother Left.

Taking place in the old days where people played banjos and sang gospel songs.

Steve in North Hollywood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #518 on: October 27, 2008, 08:20:12 AM »
A Best Moment:

"I wanna vote for da Mayor race." ~ Larry the Perv.

"You wanna vote for the Mayor Race." (said like a parent who is disappointed with their child's verbal development)
   ~ Tom "The Kid" Scharpling.
"I was in the shower and it occurred to me why the Hendersons named their guest "Harry."  That movie has layers!" ~ Jack Doneghy, 30 Rock.

emma

« Reply #519 on: October 27, 2008, 11:02:47 AM »
I know I am going to regret typing this phrase, but I really like Larry the Perv.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #520 on: October 27, 2008, 12:11:31 PM »
I know I am going to regret typing this phrase, but I really like Larry the Perv.

Larry's call was very endearing.

(But that doesn't mean I'm going to serve as a character witness for him).
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

around the bend

• Policemans heel
« Reply #521 on: October 27, 2008, 12:21:12 PM »
does anyone recall the solo artist coming out with the really self indulgent double cd that would be equal parts terrible and fascinating?  I tried remembering but couldn't do it.  It wasn't Scott Weiland, was it?

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #522 on: October 27, 2008, 12:46:54 PM »
Yes it was.
from the land of pleasant living

The H-Man

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #523 on: October 27, 2008, 02:48:38 PM »
Not to suck-up to Tom's protege or nuthin', but, the H-Man's facebook updates are the stuff of legend.

thank you fyodor. much appreciated.

-The H-Man

H-Man: just a humble request, but next time you're coming to the studio, could you ask Tom to bring along the sound effects box? Now that you're getting the hang of GOMPing, I would love to hear you turn some callers into ghosts.

We shall see.

-The H-Man
"...Roddy's brother Buddy, he's got a buddy, that works at the 5 and dime, who's Uncle Ron runs a recording studio.  Rod shows up with his six-stringed friend, and a head full of tunes.  Laid down some tracks, and the tape burned like Rock n' Roll fire..."   -Gas Station Dogs

Steve in North Hollywood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #524 on: October 27, 2008, 09:10:00 PM »
does anyone recall the solo artist coming out with the really self indulgent double cd that would be equal parts terrible and fascinating?  I tried remembering but couldn't do it.  It wasn't Scott Weiland, was it?

It was Scott Weiland, actually.  He was staying at my hotel while he wrote that thing*.  He'd call me every night around 12:30 asking for more pens.  I'm told he tips well.

*My life has gotten weeeeeeeiiiiirrrrrrrd.