Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2774252 times)

Steve in North Hollywood

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #750 on: December 01, 2008, 05:28:24 AM »
"Pushing Daisies, my favorite show on ABC, was cancelled. Goodbye old friend".

"Old FRIEND?!"

Along similar lines ... R.I.P. Monk  :'(
"I was in the shower and it occurred to me why the Hendersons named their guest "Harry."  That movie has layers!" ~ Jack Doneghy, 30 Rock.

Sarah

« Reply #751 on: December 01, 2008, 07:31:16 AM »
I'll miss Pushing Daisies.  It's flawed, but there's nothing else like it on TV.  It also gave me the chance to see PFT play a (very sanitized) geek.

I'll miss Monk, too.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #752 on: December 01, 2008, 10:07:46 AM »
It also gave me the chance to see PFT play a (very sanitized) geek.

Haven't you been getting your geek fix from Chuck?  I can't imagine anyone nerdier than that guy!

Sarah

« Reply #753 on: December 01, 2008, 11:02:09 AM »
I'm talking real geeks here, Mr. L.  Biting-the-heads-off-chickens geeks (or, in the case of PFT, a swallowing-and-then-regurgitating-mice geek).  That Chuck guy would never have the guts for that.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #754 on: December 01, 2008, 12:24:27 PM »
I'm talking real geeks here, Mr. L.  Biting-the-heads-off-chickens geeks (or, in the case of PFT, a swallowing-and-then-regurgitating-mice geek).  That Chuck guy would never have the guts for that.

"Lady, he was made for it." 

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #755 on: December 01, 2008, 02:51:16 PM »
When the caller asked John Hodgman what his "home set up" is.

I most enjoyed Tom's giggle after Frank asked that question.

This show is definitely in personal top 5.

gravy boat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #756 on: December 01, 2008, 04:08:23 PM »
I loved Tom losing it when he made the joke about the Better Business Bureau forcing Never Not Funny to change its name to Never Funny.

A fantastic show. Great guest.

elibraden

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #757 on: December 02, 2008, 01:55:03 AM »
I'm actually a huge fan of "Never Not Funny" (and, living 2 blocks from the UCB in L.A., a regular Pardo show-goer) ... I wonder if Tom's disdain for the show is done for humor?  Matt Belknap from "NNF" has always given Tom and Jon mad love/props/attention ...

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #758 on: December 02, 2008, 03:02:34 AM »
For some reason I always go for the advice sections.  Like when John Hodgman called Tom's second attempt at "Take your lumps" "wrathful".  Pretty damn funny, but then I always remember the advice/insights he has.  They sound cynical at first, but they're just so fucking true and awesome and not actually cynical at all, just true.  You get beat and get beat and get beat and whoever's left standing, maybe they get a prize.  Something like that, I'm paraphrasing.  I remember shit like that for years.  Hodgman's insight that you do the best stuff when you're doing it for fun and for free could not be more accurate either.

Pete Velcro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #759 on: December 02, 2008, 08:24:02 AM »
I'm actually a huge fan of "Never Not Funny" (and, living 2 blocks from the UCB in L.A., a regular Pardo show-goer) ... I wonder if Tom's disdain for the show is done for humor?  Matt Belknap from "NNF" has always given Tom and Jon mad love/props/attention ...

Tom wouldn't drop the name of the show over and over again if he wasn't a fan--even in a teasing way. Plus Pardo was on Monk. I think NNF has gotten better and better over the years. This season has been fantastic.

<<<<<

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #760 on: December 02, 2008, 08:21:46 PM »
Tom's insinuation that McCain would have committed suicide had he won made me snort as I attempted to stifle a laugh (at work).

erechoveraker

« Reply #761 on: December 02, 2008, 11:40:59 PM »
Dumping on the Crypt Keeper and the so-called comedy therein, awesome.

JamesU

• Policemans heel
« Reply #762 on: December 03, 2008, 01:39:44 AM »
I'm so glad that Fred from New Port Ritchie is becoming a regular caller. I wonder when he'll find the forums. I want to see threads with back and forths between Tor and NPR.

casualobserver

• Policemans heel
« Reply #763 on: December 03, 2008, 03:18:49 AM »
--

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #764 on: December 03, 2008, 03:48:59 AM »
Tom Scharpling, Country Music Superstar.

(Foghorn Leghorn voice) ... "How y'all doin'? I hope y'all are having a good, country time tonight".

Transcribing it here doesn't do it justice, but I just listened to Tom doing that voice five times in a row and couldn't stop laughing.

The "oh, family" calls were pretty great across the board. Also, Mike in Brooklyn sounds a lot like Skag Winesack.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009