Author Topic: 'In the FOT Seat' FREE FOR ALL Clusterpost!  (Read 13206 times)

KickTheBobo

'In the FOT Seat' FREE FOR ALL Clusterpost!
« on: July 29, 2008, 04:04:35 PM »
Ok, that idea about featuring a random FOT to answer some questions about themselves has turned out to be a logistical nightmare. I'm gonna go ahead and throw this out there to the masses.

If anyone has a hankerin' to answer, these were the initial questions:

1. What is your real first and middle name (if any)?

2. Where were you born, geographically?

3. Where do you reside now (geographically)?

4. What is your current vocation/ job/ area of study?

5. Desert Island: ONE record

6. What is the most impressive thing in nature that you have ever seen in person?

7. What is the most impressive thing in the human-made world that you have ever seen in person?

8. Death Row Pizza: what style/toppings?

9. Tom calls you up and tells you that he will be at a cardboard symposium in your town and has a free day off. What will you guys do?

yesno

• Space Champion!
Re: 'In the FOT Seat' FREE FOR ALL Clusterpost!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 04:23:46 PM »

John David.

Point Pleasant, NJ.  Shore trash.

Right now right now, Arlington, VA, but really Boulder, CO.

Right now right now, summer associate at a law firm. Really a law student.  I mostly know telecom and "soft IP"(copyright and trademark).

My favorite all time record is "I Care Because You Do" by Aphex Twin, but I don't really need to hear it again.  So something long and complicated.  Probably Glenn Gould's version of the Well-Tempered Clavier.

6. What is the most impressive thing in nature that you have ever seen in person?

A moonless night sky full of stars.  Aka "the universe."

7. What is the most impressive thing in the human-made world that you have ever seen in person?

Midtown Manhattan.

Jersey style, plain cheese pizza with red pepper flakes.

9. Tom calls you up and tells you that he will be at a cardboard symposium in your town and has a free day off. What will you guys do?

Bouldering in Vedauwoo, Wyoming is fun.  Or drive up into Rocky Mountain National park.  I don't think someone from the east coast is going to be all that bowled over by the sights and sounds of Denver.

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 04:26:23 PM »
k. I'll bite.

Erika Suzanne

Baltimore, MD at Sinai Hospital

In three weeks I'll be living here, in Baltimore:
http://www.aboutwoodberry.com/webpages/aboutus.html

Next to these ginormous TV transmitters:

I am a website and email manager (mostly content, I'm not too quick with IT matters) for a company that publishes natural health newsletters and another company that sells nutritional supplements.

That's ridiculous. I could never choose. Maybe The Bends. Or Abbey Road

The Redwoods in Muir Woods

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlfKdbWwruY[/youtube]

(I hope that counts. If not then I would say the Art Nouveau Exhibit at the National Gallery.)

Thick crust (well done, almost burnt) with a little sauce and not too much cheese. Extra oregano.

First we would have brunch at the Golden West http://goldenwestcafe.com/, then we'd go to Atomic Books http://www.atomicbooks.com/ across the street. Maybe the record stores that are in that part of town too. Then we'd go catch a movie at the Charles Theater http://www.thecharles.com/ and maybe end up grabbing another bite to eat at the Yabba Pot http://www.theyabbapotcafe.com/theyabbapotcafe.html
from the land of pleasant living

Emerson

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 04:33:14 PM »
Emerson Penn. I also have a "III," because my dad and granddad were into themselves.

McDowell County, North Carolina, down the mountain from Asheville. A noted meth haven. I've also lived in Asheville; Athens, GA; Chicago; and...

Los Angeles. The city of angles. America's dream factory. Actually, I live in Glendale, within sight of a "Welcome to Los Angeles" sign. Don't tell anyone.

I write, for a living, which I have to remind myself every morning. I am also an aspiring comedian.

I'm completely alone, right? Probably Lee Hazelwood or something. I don't really need the Birthday Party if there aren't any a-holes.

Muir Woods, in Marin County, CA. The redwoods are poisonous to insects, so there aren't a lot of birds, and there isn't a lot of noise. It's the closest thing to a "spiritual" experience I can recall. I kissed a banana slug. People looked at me askance, but I have no regrets. I took care not to cover it's airhole.

Paris was as-advertised.

Hacksaw surprise. I am horrified of death, and will not go easily.

Bowling and Meat Loaf karaoke at All Star Lanes.
"You said it. I didn't."

ericluxury

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 05:35:47 PM »
Nobody appears to care about me enough to hate on me in Chinatown, so I doubt anyone cares about this for me..

Eric James Firth

San Francisco, CA, USA

Brooklyn, NY, USA

job is a mix of admin and graphic design at a pr firm, area of study is animation and motion graphics

Tough call. I imagine that I'll have stuff to do in the day time. Lying in bed at night my favorite record is 'In the Aeroplane Over the Sea'. I don't imagine that being in sand rather than a bed will change that I love this record in the dark while alone.

View from a small peak near the base of Mt. Annapurna in Nepal. It was very pretty.

The Taj Mahal has so far been the most impressive sight I've seen. However its surrounded by awfulness (not India, just that part of Agra...tourist trap India is the worst)

Not a huge pizza guy, but I'll go regular style pizza (thin but with a non-crispy crust). Pesto, chicken, sausage, kalamata olives, tomato slices and red onion.

It wouldn't be a very special symposium since it'd be so close to the cardboard factory, so either the Turkey's Nest or going to karaoke and having some drinks.

Son of Dorvid

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 05:44:45 PM »
1. What is your real first and middle name (if any)?  David John

2. Where were you born, geographically? Fairfax, VA

3. Where do you reside now (geographically)?  Arlington, VA

freelance videographer/editor, sometimes actor and open-mic comedyor.

5. Desert Island: ONE record -
Stereolab - Dots and Loops

6. What is the most impressive thing in nature that you have ever seen in person?  A gigantic meteor shower that went on for an hour. 

7. What is the most impressive thing in the human-made world that you have ever seen in person?  maybe the Gardiner Museum in Boston.

8. Death Row Pizza: what style/toppings?  Spinach, artichokes, eggplant, feta

Hirshhorn Museum, Prairie Dog exhibit at the National Zoo, vegan dinner at The Sunflower, a show at Fort Reno, drinks at the Galaxy Hut, open-mic night at the Cinema 'N' Drafthouse.
(I can provide the theremin, Tom!)

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 05:48:58 PM »
KTB, you've got to fill the sucker out.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 07:10:10 PM »
Bryan Patrick

In Ottawa, Ontario.

Kingston, Ontario

I manage a lab in the Psychology department at Queen's University. We do research in speech perception & production.

Blood on the Tracks, (Bobby Dylan). The intensity of my devotion for this record has waned a bit, but nothing else has replaced it yet.

The giant redwoods (Cathedral Grove) in British Columbia. It's like the forest moon of Endor!

The Pitt-Rivers museum in Oxford, UK. It's a crazy Victorian museum jammed to the rafters with stuff pillaged from all over the world.

Thin crust: gorgonzola, calabrese sausage, artichoke hearts.

A walk in the woods with our dogs (I'll assume that Dogmo is along for the ride), a nap (separate beds), then a backyard BBQ.

mokin

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 07:36:15 PM »
Matthew Brett. One guess at my last name.

Philadelphia, PA

Portland, OR.

Stay at home dad, part time dishwasher.

The Boy With the Arab Strap, Belle and Sebastian. Probably not the best B&S album, but it was my first. It brings back good memories.

I tend to remember experiences over sights when I'm travelling, so it's hard for me to think of a good one. Flying in a black hawk helicopter over Alaska because my friend had to be airlifted out of the bush to a hospital was pretty amazing.

One time I saw a Delorean at a car show that got me pretty excited.

NY style, with spinach.

I don't really want to meet Tom. I'm sure he's an awesome guy, but I doubt any good could come of it. Sort of a "don't meet your heroes" thing.

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 08:14:33 PM »
1. What is your real first and middle name (if any)? John Frederick

2. Where were you born, geographically? Minneapolis, MN

3. Where do you reside now (geographically)? Minneapolis, MN

4. What is your current vocation/ job/ area of study? Radio host

5. Desert Island: It's short so it's probably a bad choice... Rubber Soul

6. What is the most impressive thing in nature that you have ever seen in person? Probably just things I see when kayaking on the Mississippi near the headwaters. I've always liked the bluffs in Wisconsin as well.

7. What is the most impressive thing in the human-made world that you have ever seen in person? I haven't done much traveling so I'm really limited to what I've seen in person. I loved walking the streets of old Boston as touristy as they are.

8. Death Row Pizza: what style/toppings? As thin of crust as possible, ham, sausage, mushrooms, green peppers, tomatoes and jalapenos.

9. Tom calls you up and tells you that he will be at a cardboard symposium in your town and has a free day off. What will you guys do? Go to a Wolves game.

mokin

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 08:25:51 PM »
I'm disappointed that this didn't work out as originally planned. It would've been nice as a weekly feature.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 08:30:20 PM »
Guess I'll join in on the pile-on...

Jonathan Garrett

Chicago

Vernon Hills, IL (40 min N of Chicago)

I've been out of school for two years with a marketing degree but I'm a temp in the medical files division of a pharmaceutical company.

Fun House by The Stooges

Camping in Yellowstone was pretty great.

Mt. Rushmore is pretty crazy, especially when you see the making of video.

Canadian bacon and pineapple with an olive oil and garlic base.

There really isn't much to around me without venturing down to the city. Tom likes roller coasters right? We could go to the Six Flags Great America, that's by my house. After that we could have dinner at El Famous Burrito and then walk next door to Zanies comedy club to see Tom Wilson, Biff from Back to the Future. Or maybe a star of a daytime soap, one of them is usually there every weekend.

colonel panic

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 09:14:15 PM »
Todd David

Minot, ND

Fargo, ND

Video/Web producer/director (lot of /'s there)

Breeders: Pod. I know it's a weird one but I never tire of it.

the sky in the summer on the prairie. i get dizzy just thinking about it.

nanotechnology. i didn't actually see it but i' ve seen what it can do.

Red Savoy's in St. Paul (is that a style? greasy) . . . the works.

9. Tom calls you up and tells you that he will be at a cardboard symposium in your town and has a free day off. What will you guys do? farm tour and small town lunch. dinner at my place and then a punk rock show at the aquarium in the pm. but odds are that a local metal band would be playing (which isn't bad; just not all that entertaining) so we may just have to go to courtney's comedy club in moorhead.

joanna

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 01:11:11 AM »

hold on to your seats. joanna. i hate my middle name.

houston, tx.

portland, or.

to support my family: remote worker for an online company based out of austin.
what i wish made money: massage therapist, labor doula, and vegan cookbook author.

neutral milk hotel: in the aeroplane over the sea

impossible! can't be pinpointed!

the musee d'orsay in paris is pretty much one room of mind-exploding art after another.

oh easy. thick crust, pesto sauce, no cheese (or maybe teese), quality black olives, thinly sliced onions, mushrooms, whole basil leaves, whole cloves of garlic, artichokes.

hrmm. i don't even plan out the day when my best friend comes without getting her input first, and i've known her 15 years. we have some nice second-run theatres that serve good food and drinks; i think it would be fun to see a movie with tom. we have great veg food, too. i would definitely cook a meal. other than that, no clue.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 01:12:38 AM »
You mean I'm not going to get my own thread?

SCREW you! SCREW YOU ALL!!!

i like oatmeal