36 (33.6%)
Pie
45 (42.1%)
Both
22 (20.6%)
Neither
4 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 101

Author Topic: Cake v. Pie  (Read 43105 times)

Susannah

Re: Cake v. Pie
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2008, 03:24:26 PM »
This is a good compromise for those of you who can't choose:

Kentucky Thoroughbred Pie

Ingredients:

Pie Crust:
2 1/2 cups   all-purpose   flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup butter, cut up
1/4 cup ice water, more or less
Filling:
1/2 cup butter, unsalted, melted
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
2 tablespoons Kentucky   Bourbon
Preparation:

Crust:
Mix all except water in food processor until crumbly.
Slowly add ice water until mixture just holds together.

Wrap in a flat circle in plastic wrap; Chill overnight.

Form into pie pan.

Filling:
Beat eggs with cooled butter. Add flour & sugar. Beat until mixed well. Gently fold in pecans, chocolate & bourbon. Add mixture to pie shell. Bake at 350° for about 30 minutes, or until set. Serve with fresh whipped cream.

Patrick

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2008, 05:00:41 PM »
bad pie is far better then bad cake...  bad cardboard tasting cake with super sweet icing, blah!!

i say pie, like apple or pumpkin or blueberry, warm with a scoop of ice-cream.  unbeatable. 

the exception to the rule has to of corse be flourless chocolate espresso tort, or moist carrot cake. 
you're gonna love hell, its a lot like Ohio.

Mr. Science

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2008, 07:45:35 PM »

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2008, 07:57:17 PM »
The pie voters?  A bunch of contrarians, says I!  Need to rock the boat...not go with the vox populi.

Ever heard of a birthday pie? A wedding pie?  No.  How does one celebrate the important events in life?

WITH CAKE. 

Case closed. Cake is objectively better.

"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2008, 07:57:56 PM »
(sorry, i'm okay now)
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

Regular Joe

• Space Champion!
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2008, 08:26:28 PM »
bad pie is far better then bad cake...  bad cardboard tasting cake with super sweet icing, blah!!

You've clearly never had a piece of bad pie! Pie can be inordinately worse than cake and I've had some horrible cake in my time, let me tell you. Even at its worst the cake was still more edible than a mincemeat pie, or a poorly executed apple pie.

Emily

• Space Champion!
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2008, 08:29:09 PM »
At the next FOT meetup, I'm bringing cake and pie & we'll see which one is eaten faster.

That will be the true test of which is better.

But telling you about this would skew the results, so you'll have to forget you ever read this post.

Carry on.

Laurie

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2008, 11:12:53 PM »

Coconut is the worst thing you can put on a cake! Don't put coconut on cake, guys! It's not cool!!!!!!

I hate the texture of coconut. I hate the taste (or lack thereof, really). I hate the fact that it sticks in your teeth no matter how hardcore you floss. HATE IT! Coconuts should be eradicated from the earth. Along with cilantro. SCORCHED EARTH.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2008, 11:15:26 PM »
I think liking or not liking cilantro is genetic. I know lots of people that hate it and thinks it tastes like soaps. Mmmm I love it though.

Phil

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2008, 11:26:50 PM »
I think liking or not liking cilantro is genetic. I know lots of people that hate it and thinks it tastes like soaps. Mmmm I love it though.

I just bought four bunches of cilantro today... no lie!

And... I love pie.

Goodbye.

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2008, 11:27:23 PM »
This is really interesting, Laurie.  Like you, I really don't care for coconut, and it's one of a very few foods I try to steer clear of entirely -- there are only about three others.  However, I think cilantro is one of the greatest edible things in this world.  

Genetics could be one explanation.  Food allergies could be another, but I doubt that you're allergic to cilantro; I'm not allergic to coconut.  Foods that I dislike usually stem from one bad experience early in life -- for example, I'm not a big fan of eggplant, although I will eat it.  This has got to be the result of having eaten a rancid eggplant when I was a little kid.  I swore it off until I was well into adulthood, and still tend to avoid it, although there's nothing I inherently dislike about eggplant that's prepared correctly.  I still don't like walnuts for the same reason, had some bad ones when I was a little kid.

Jimmy

• Policemans heel
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2008, 01:36:56 AM »
Is chocolate satin pie a pie or a cake? 

Mr. Science

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2008, 02:35:24 AM »
I'll admit it - coconut is a love it or hate it thing.

Sarah

« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2008, 07:52:00 AM »
No, it isn't.

colonel panic

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2008, 09:12:39 AM »

I hate the texture of coconut. I hate the taste (or lack thereof, really). I hate the fact that it sticks in your teeth no matter how hardcore you floss. HATE IT! Coconuts should be eradicated from the earth. Along with cilantro. SCORCHED EARTH.

I'm just glad somebody said it first.

I have no beef w/ cilantro.