Author Topic: MAD MEN  (Read 20284 times)

Spike

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
MAD MEN
« on: August 01, 2008, 12:44:05 PM »
I never watched this MAD MEN, even though I like the time period it is set in. I watch quality programs like THE GUIDING LIGHT and AS THE WORLD TURNS. 
CHILDREN UNDER AGE 25 SHOULD NEVER BE SEEN NOR HEARD.

erika

• Space Champion!
Re: MAD MEN
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 01:23:49 PM »
oh Spike.
from the land of pleasant living

Days of Se7en

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 06:59:26 PM »
Personally I'd like to see a character modeled after Spike show up on Mad Men, maybe as one of Midge's beatnik friends.  Don Draper could have a relationship with this character much like Tom has with Spike.
Don't worry, I'm not actually a fan of the film Se7en.  I just think that numerical spelling is hilarious.

chrisfoll577

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 10:19:51 PM »
Spike's gradually quickening ascent to 50 posts is frightening me.

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 01:40:26 PM »
Spike, it's pretty much your era, right?  Wasn't it set in the tail end of the doo-wop era?

Which reminds me, how is doo-wop not considered an ethnic slur?

gastronongrata

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 12:36:28 AM »
I also, have never seen the show. Well, I watched five minutes of it and had to shut it off. I used to be a copywriter in advertising and that period of the business is the reason I got into it, lots of drinking, good creative got sold and all that. But when you get down to it, the advertising industry is much different these days and the good old days I'm sure that are portrayed in that show would entice me too much. I am weak.

Phantom Hugger

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 01:34:48 AM »
Every time I go to the 'video' store Mad Men is out, maybe Spike can do a season recap so I can tell if it's worth it.

I'm beginning to think, now that Wire, Rome,  Deadwood, Sopranos is over people are just scrambling to fill the void.

Spike?

derkins

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 02:06:14 AM »
this show rules.  nuff said

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 02:52:43 AM »
Every time I go to the 'video' store Mad Men is out, maybe Spike can do a season recap so I can tell if it's worth it.

I'm beginning to think that now that Wire, Rome,  Deadwood, Sopranos is over people are just scrambling to fill the void.
Spike?

Let's start a petition to have Spike doing a commentary track on the Mad Men DVDs ... You never know, stranger things have happened.

(Actually, I'm not sure if anything that strange has ever happened).
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

namethebats

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 06:37:40 PM »
I support any show that can pull off a moment like this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjINQVu0NRc[/youtube]

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 06:46:45 PM »
What about these moments?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Me9V37FPNe8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Me9V37FPNe8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Stan

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 10:31:48 PM »

I'm beginning to think, now that Wire, Rome,  Deadwood, Sopranos is over people are just scrambling to fill the void.

Spike?

You can watch every episode here:

http://so.tudou.com/isearch.do?kw=mad+men&cid=&time=&sort=&high=0&display=album&page=3

Or use this link if you can't read Mandarin:

http://search.surfthechannel.com/page/search.html?str_stand=mad+men&pagein=1&skin=3&show=television&button=Go%21
                                 "This must be where buffcoat left his pants."

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 09:46:55 PM »
I'm finally watching season 1 on DVD. Good lord is this the most depressing TV show I've EVER seen. I'm not a person who needs things to be happy (I like Hubert Selby Jr books, OK?), but I'm watching these episodes, looking for anything resembling even a crumb of happiness in any of these characters' lives. Nothing but abject doom.

I'm not necessarily saying I don't like it. It's just exhausting to watch.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 11:03:05 PM »
i just finished season 1

i'm really loving this show.

but i have to agree with MOS it can be really fucking bleak at times
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.

Jennifer

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 11:29:44 PM »
I'm finally watching season 1 on DVD. Good lord is this the most depressing TV show I've EVER seen. I'm not a person who needs things to be happy (I like Hubert Selby Jr books, OK?), but I'm watching these episodes, looking for anything resembling even a crumb of happiness in any of these characters' lives. Nothing but abject doom.

I'm not necessarily saying I don't like it. It's just exhausting to watch.

Hmmm...first I heard a lot of good things about this show, but lately I've been hearing the opposite. I just asked my friend if she had seen it and she quit a few episodes in because "it was really misogynistic." And my aunt can't watch it because it makes her want to start smoking again.

I just got the first disc, so we'll see how it goes. I used to be a copywriter many years ago and "abject doom" pretty much sums up my time at the agency. So maybe I can relate.