Author Topic: MAD MEN  (Read 20285 times)

erika

• Space Champion!
Re: MAD MEN
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2008, 03:58:24 PM »
Hey, whaddya want from an ad agency in Manhattan? I'm sure not much has changed in 40 years...
from the land of pleasant living

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2008, 04:11:13 PM »
The ironic "humor" bugs me. Every time a character makes an attempt at humor, it's most likely sexist or racist (and, of course, it's not funny). It feels very forced to me. This may be the most humorless show I've ever seen (and after John from Cincinnati, that's saying something!).
See God, Kai

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2008, 04:13:44 PM »
cooper is funny.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2008, 04:18:39 PM »
The ironic "humor" bugs me. Every time a character makes an attempt at humor, it's most likely sexist or racist (and, of course, it's not funny). It feels very forced to me. This may be the most humorless show I've ever seen (and after John from Cincinnati, that's saying something!).

I find the humor has gotten less winking and more subtle as the series has progressed.  You may not care for it but the show is far from humorless.   In fact, any more non-sequiter gags like the Mozart zipper and they really will start drifting into Twin Peaks territory. 

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2008, 04:19:36 PM »
I forgot when Pete described a fight with his wife as a "donnybrook." That was a riot! I almost fell off my chair!
See God, Kai

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2008, 04:28:22 PM »
I find the humor has gotten less winking and more subtle as the series has progressed.  You may not care for it but the show is far from humorless.   In fact, any more non-sequiter gags like the Mozart zipper and they really will start drifting into Twin Peaks territory. 

I'll give you the Mozart zipper, Chris. That really stood out against the norm.

Also, didn't Bobbie and Don's car crash smack of Tony and Adriana's similarly inconvenient car accident?
See God, Kai

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2008, 04:35:48 PM »

I'll give you the Mozart zipper, Chris. That really stood out against the norm.

Also, didn't Bobbie and Don's car crash smack of Tony and Adriana's similarly inconvenient car accident?

Yes, it did.   I don't care for Bobbie.  She seems like a rehash of Tony Soprano's mistresses.   She's been a catalyst for interesting scenes with other characters though. 

And I find there's usually a funny Pete moment in every episode. 

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2008, 04:39:27 PM »
I think they're slowly trying to show what Betty and Don's substance abuse is doing to them... The more Betty drinks, the shorter her temper gets, and Don is slipping up more and more lately...

There were also the references to Don's daughter's growing relationship with alcohol. Making the drinks, getting drunk at the office, etc.
from the land of pleasant living

AllisonLeGnome

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2008, 02:02:27 AM »
I really like the show but I do feel like there are a few too many "Haha! Look at how different things were and how stupid people were back then!" moments. They're needed to some extent to set the period but they're unnecessarily overemphasized.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2008, 06:30:31 AM »
I really like the show but I do feel like there are a few too many "Haha! Look at how different things were and how stupid people were back then!" moments. They're needed to some extent to set the period but they're unnecessarily overemphasized.

There were a lot of those (too many, I think) in the first couple of episodes but it seems like they've backed off as the show has found its own footing.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Nicksy

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2008, 04:30:20 AM »

That is blasphemy! They are both highly polished shows with 'darkness under the surface' but Mad Men is just a Soap Opera; Twin Peaks blows it out of the water in every regard.

I find the humor has gotten less winking and more subtle as the series has progressed.  You may not care for it but the show is far from humorless.   In fact, any more non-sequiter gags like the Mozart zipper and they really will start drifting into Twin Peaks territory. 
hey what's up

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2008, 08:58:16 AM »
I find the humor has gotten less winking and more subtle as the series has progressed.  You may not care for it but the show is far from humorless.   In fact, any more non-sequiter gags like the Mozart zipper and they really will start drifting into Twin Peaks territory. 

That is blasphemy! They are both highly polished shows with 'darkness under the surface' but Mad Men is just a Soap Opera; Twin Peaks blows it out of the water in every regard.

The blogger quoted on page 2 originally made the Twin Peaks comparison, but I don't actually think the two shows are alike except for that one joke I mentioned.   Nor does TP blow MM out of the water.  Mad Men is hitting its stride this year while Twin Peaks' second season was mostly a free fall, except for the episodes where its sole creative visionary was at the helm (which are some of the greatest episodes ever made). 

Meanwhile, I submit Mad Men Illustrated for consideration. 

colonel panic

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2008, 12:14:21 PM »
Thanks for the illustration link!

The above scene was so creepy. But now the kid is becoming likable so I'm all thrown off. I'm only at episode 2 of season 2 so maybe he does more awesome creepy stuff later on.

I like the show. But, as a sidebar, I'm attracted to the advertising aspect of it, too. The ad campaigns are real so that's cool as I'm a comm major.

But I'm really hoping Cooper actually introduces Draper to Ayn Rand. I got giddy when Cooper said he was going to do that.

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2008, 12:55:22 PM »
For the record, I have enjoyed a couple scenes in the last couple episodes: Jimmy Barrett calling Draper "garbage" and the priest rocking out at the end of last week's episode. I still think it's overrated, but those scenes were special.
See God, Kai

Nicksy

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2008, 07:51:36 PM »
There's definitely a few really incredible scenes, but they are bookended by long stretches of boring boring soap drama. Except for Joan Holloway.
hey what's up