Author Topic: Favorite NBA players?  (Read 12106 times)

jbissell

• Space Champion!
Favorite NBA players?
« on: August 21, 2008, 03:26:15 PM »
Tom,

I know you are a big NBA fan and I was just wondering who some of your favorite players are.  Apologies in advance if this has been answered before, but I didn't find anything in a search.

senorcorazon

• Space Champion!
Re: Favorite NBA players?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 05:02:04 PM »
Tom and Mehmet Okur are old friends. There are some good conversations on the archives between them.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 07:29:51 PM »
Tom and Mehmet Okur are old friends. There are some good conversations on the archives between them.

Yeah, I heard one of those a few months ago.

kray

• Policemans heel
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 01:49:23 AM »
are we talking only current NBA players? or the classics? or both?

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 09:39:39 AM »
are we talking only current NBA players? or the classics? or both?

I was thinking some of both.

kray

• Policemans heel
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 09:36:20 PM »
gosh, now that the show isn't happening tonight, i'll play around here a bit.

current players:
lebron
s marion
danny granger

past:
reggie (duh)
doctor j
bird
george mcginnis
mj

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 09:47:55 PM »
RIP Kevin Duckworth.  Best Show-related: Tom talks to a chef who prepared food for the Portland Trailblazers. 

Quote from: recap
Tom’s ready for some good DuckworthTales, but John reveals that he just prepared the food at Merlo’s house and had it sent to the airport for the flights. Tom’s not pleased with this twist. John did chat with Duckworth’s nutritionist, who would fax him acceptable recipes. The rest of the team loved the dry tuna sandwiches, but these were off-limits to Duck, who tended to go for pasta with marinara sauce. Tom wonders about the eating habits of Damon Stoudamire, but he was "before [sic] my time". John assembled sandwiches for the P.J. Carlesimo-era Blazers (1994-1997), featuring the likes of Clyde Drexler, Terry Porter, and Uncle Cliffie. Since the show, I did some digging around and found out that Jerome Kersey used to eat an entire roasted pig before home games during the 1995 season. Arvydas Sabonis would only eat homeland dishes like kugelis (potato pudding) and borscht. Chris Dudley? Mainly Twizzlers.
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 04:43:54 PM »
I didn't even see anything on ESPN.com or CnnSI about Duckworth. I heard about it but if they made mention of it, I must have missed it.

I don't think Lebron is that great to watch. He's a lot like KG and Duncan to me- they always puts up the numbers but most of the time it's methodical and you don't realize the numbers they put up until you look at the stat sheet at the end of the game. But, I won't dispute that they are among the greatest players in the game since they get it done every night.

Kobe and Nash are my favorite players to watch. I always liked watching Shaq in his prime too.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 06:09:39 PM »
Last season Chris Paul became one of my favorites, especially when he's battling Deron Williams.  I'm also pretty excited to see Derrick Rose this year (and hoping he's better than Beasley).

Gilly, I kinda agree with you re: Lebron but everytime I watch him play, he always makes one or two plays that are just spectacular.

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 11:13:36 PM »
My guess: Stephon Marbury
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 01:43:17 AM »
TRUCK PARTY!!!!

ben

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 03:16:27 AM »
chris paul
(why was jason kidd even on the nba team?  chris paul blows that kid away)
Sounds like someone was working as a conduit for nature's natural vengeance.  Just like Jesus.  And some of the others.

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 02:58:21 PM »
Jason Kidd was on the team because they've been trying to build some consistency on the US team. I'm sure we've seen the end of his Olympic run. They won because of guys like that in my opinion - actually build a TEAM, rather than just a collection of players.

As for my favorite NBA players, I like tons of players; a lot of the guys on the Olympic squad and a lot of the foreign players. I am not a fan of most anyone who has worn a Knicks uniform in the last six years or anyone wearing a Celtics uniform these days.

John Starks is still my all-time favorite player. The guy was the epitome of a slob working hard to get where he belonged.

Tom.

chrisfoll577

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 10:15:39 AM »
I am not a fan of... anyone wearing a Celtics uniform these days.

Not even these guys?

I think I remember hearing you say that you had an odd run-in with Paul Pierce and Antoine Walker in a limousine.  Did you ever share the rest of that story? If not, us NBA fan FOTs would love to hear it.

Amplituden

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 10:51:59 PM »
Rasheed Wallace

A poor man's Bronson Pinchot.