Author Topic: WELCOME NEW PEOPLE!  (Read 290938 times)

fromaway

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: WELCOME NEW PEOPLE!
« Reply #390 on: July 19, 2009, 11:14:48 PM »
Hey everybody, my name is Jenny, from Portland, ME, and I recently started listening to The Best Show. I haven't been inspired to call in yet, but I think that first call is on the horizon. I also started a twitter account and the name on that is jennyfromaway. It's been a pretty big day for me. I want to say, also, that I love that this forum has spellcheck.
she sleeps now

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #391 on: July 19, 2009, 11:52:46 PM »
Hi Jenny! You may or may not find your stay here enjoyable.  :-\
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

Pastor Josh

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #392 on: July 20, 2009, 12:36:33 AM »
Hey, Jenny.  Just started following you on Twitter.  Don't disappoint me.  My time is valuable.
Who I don't have chocolate?

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #393 on: July 20, 2009, 06:20:14 AM »
Hi Jenny, not following you yet, but I await the spillover buzz you generate in Pastor Josh (psssst, he's really a pastor, so don't quote Nietzsche or anything.)

fromaway

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #394 on: July 20, 2009, 10:27:24 AM »
Hey TRG, I think it's gonna be an alright ride.

Pastor Josh, disappointing is one of my superpowers but it will be only the best in quality disappointment. You can expect a lot of Guided By Voices references, some salty beach complaints and other such grump fodder.

Dave from Knoxville, Thanks for the tip. I would never quote Nietzsche. Neverino, even.

I'm going to do my best to make everything great!
she sleeps now

JustNicole

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #395 on: July 20, 2009, 12:33:20 PM »
Hi, everyone.  This is Friend of Tom Nicole from Virginia.  I wrote the lyrics to "I'm Into Trees" on the FOT Musical! page.  I have been putting in two years of hard work completing my bachelor's degree, and spending one year working in Kentucky.  I'm in Virginia for the summer, but I'm not a summer dreg.  I got hung up on the when I called the show too late a couple of weeks ago, so I'm hoping that will be my penance for my absence.  I would like to reacquaint myself with the FOT Board and its fine members. 
Doing it Mentos style.

Pastor Josh

« Reply #396 on: July 20, 2009, 12:58:25 PM »

Pastor Josh, disappointing is one of my superpowers but it will be only the best in quality disappointment. You can expect a lot of Guided By Voices references, some salty beach complaints and other such grump fodder.

Dave from Knoxville, Thanks for the tip. I would never quote Nietzsche. Neverino, even.

You know, that might be the first time anyone's actually acknowledged I'm a pastor on the board.  Yes, please, no Nietzsche.  I'm much more of a Foucault enthusiast.

Reeleyes

« Reply #397 on: July 20, 2009, 04:29:53 PM »

GBV talk is much appreciated. I'm too new to the forum to give you any real advice except that don't use misleading thread titles and don't offer to do an impression of Tom for him unless you're prepared to actually do it.
You look like a really healthy Arthy Lang.

Pastor Josh

« Reply #398 on: July 20, 2009, 04:47:55 PM »

GBV talk is much appreciated. I'm too new to the forum to give you any real advice except that don't use misleading thread titles and don't offer to do an impression of Tom for him unless you're prepared to actually do it.

I'm just starting ot get into GBV after Tom's "Bulldog Skin" marathon in tribute to Dogmo. Can I consider you two my tutors?

fromaway

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #399 on: July 20, 2009, 05:21:36 PM »
I made a personal "best of gbv" mix for my friend a few months ago. I would be into trading that for another personal "best of" mix of almost any band. Almost. I'll post the tracklist when I can.
she sleeps now

Reeleyes

« Reply #400 on: July 20, 2009, 08:40:35 PM »
PJ, I always recommend Human Amusements at an Hourly Rate which is their version of a best of. There's a few songs on my list that aren't on there but the rest of my list is. I'll agree with the newbie on her trilogy, Bee Thousand is probably my fav of those and I'll say Mag Earwig even though it's the produced one that all the superfans hate, it's good. In my opinion though go to the record store, close your eyes, put your hand in the GBV bin and grab one, the worst case senario is theat you won't get the best one but there's no "bad" ones.

Pastor Josh

« Reply #401 on: July 20, 2009, 10:59:15 PM »
PJ, I always recommend Human Amusements at an Hourly Rate which is their version of a best of. There's a few songs on my list that aren't on there but the rest of my list is. I'll agree with the newbie on her trilogy, Bee Thousand is probably my fav of those and I'll say Mag Earwig even though it's the produced one that all the superfans hate, it's good. In my opinion though go to the record store, close your eyes, put your hand in the GBV bin and grab one, the worst case senario is theat you won't get the best one but there's no "bad" ones.

Human Amusements is the one I have, mainly because it was the one my record store had in stock.  I love it, but I hate only having a "best of".  It's like when the henchman on the Venture Brothers said Changes was his favorite Bowie album.  Thanks for the advice.

Reeleyes

« Reply #402 on: July 21, 2009, 12:01:14 AM »

Human Amusements is the one I have, mainly because it was the one my record store had in stock.  I love it, but I hate only having a "best of".  It's like when the henchman on the Venture Brothers said Changes was his favorite Bowie album.  Thanks for the advice.

OK so there are two versions of Human Amusements, the original which came with the box set and starts with Captain's Dead and the independently released one that starts with A Salty Salute, both have the same tracks but in a slightly different order. If I'm not mistaken, the original is in chronilogical order so it's pretty easy to pick out the era that your into most. I got into the Doug Gilliard era first (I am a Tree, Bulldog Skin, etc.) but now I'm way into the earlier stuff with Tobin Sprout although the Gilliard and Gilliard/Polard stuff is still my favorite of the side project stuff. I'm realizing as I write this that I'm giving you way more info than you need at this point but GBV is one of those subjects that I can easily nerd out on properly. Dive in PJ, you won't hit the bottom for a while.

Pastor Josh

« Reply #403 on: July 21, 2009, 12:17:19 AM »

OK so there are two versions of Human Amusements, the original which came with the box set and starts with Captain's Dead and the independently released one that starts with A Salty Salute, both have the same tracks but in a slightly different order. If I'm not mistaken, the original is in chronilogical order so it's pretty easy to pick out the era that your into most. I got into the Doug Gilliard era first (I am a Tree, Bulldog Skin, etc.) but now I'm way into the earlier stuff with Tobin Sprout although the Gilliard and Gilliard/Polard stuff is still my favorite of the side project stuff. I'm realizing as I write this that I'm giving you way more info than you need at this point but GBV is one of those subjects that I can easily nerd out on properly. Dive in PJ, you won't hit the bottom for a while.

Wow.  I feel I should reward you with a similar lesson in contemporary Christian pop music. 

It pretty much all sucks.  Lesson over.

Seriously, thanks.  I've really enjoyed what I've heard so far.  I heard one of their members on  Second Delay recently, which I enjoyed, even though he closed with a medly of theme songs and didn't include TBS.  I'll pick up some regular albums soon.  Jenny, do you agree with Reeleyes?  Although I must say that Reeleyes has eanred my trust.  If you defame him, I'll speak to God about it.

Jouster

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #404 on: July 21, 2009, 03:24:21 AM »
I'll say Mag Earwig Do the Collapse even though it's the produced one that all the superfans hate

Fixed.

(Who doesn't love Mag Earwhig? DtC, on the other hand...)