Author Topic: WELCOME NEW PEOPLE!  (Read 290875 times)

Mucho_Maas

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: WELCOME NEW PEOPLE!
« Reply #855 on: August 06, 2013, 12:13:36 PM »
I was inspired to start posting because I had a random encounter with a fan while riding my bike.

I was wearing the WFMU bag I got as a gift from my pledge and waiting at a stoplight. The guy on the bike that pulled up behind me asked if I listened to WFMU. The first time he said it was kind of mush-mouthed, not very unlike the laser-maker/former bass-player from Tremarche. It was also a little hard to hear and came from an unexpected source.

We connected on the second try. His dad, the guy said, was a huge fan (the guy looked to be in his twenties). Was his dad from New Jersey? Nope, no idea how he came upon it.

Our routes only converged for a couple of blocks, but before I had to turn the guy did mention that Jon Wurster was a "genius" who took the show to the "next level." (He might not have actually said "genius" but the sentiment was clearly there if the word was not.)

It was a nice interaction, for which I have to thank The Best Show. Thank you, Best Show. 

mostlymeat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #856 on: August 06, 2013, 04:57:30 PM »
I was inspired to start posting because I had a random encounter with a fan while riding my bike.

I was wearing the WFMU bag I got as a gift from my pledge and waiting at a stoplight. The guy on the bike that pulled up behind me asked if I listened to WFMU. The first time he said it was kind of mush-mouthed, not very unlike the laser-maker/former bass-player from Tremarche. It was also a little hard to hear and came from an unexpected source.

We connected on the second try. His dad, the guy said, was a huge fan (the guy looked to be in his twenties). Was his dad from New Jersey? Nope, no idea how he came upon it.

Our routes only converged for a couple of blocks, but before I had to turn the guy did mention that Jon Wurster was a "genius" who took the show to the "next level." (He might not have actually said "genius" but the sentiment was clearly there if the word was not.)

It was a nice interaction, for which I have to thank The Best Show. Thank you, Best Show. 

Hey that was my kid! He's 15 and has been listening since he was 8. He even called once or twice back in the day. His buddy Morris got way more into it and called a bunch of times but Tom finally gave him the business and scared him off.

My family all think that I'm obsessed with The Best Show just because I have the posters all over my walls and talk about the show constantly. WTF?

I super best-show stoked today because my band got asked to open for Kurt Braunholer in SF (on the 16th of Aug at the Verdi Club), I am hoping we can learn an extra special Gary the Squirrel set for the occasion. Hey AP Mike!

Mucho_Maas

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #857 on: August 08, 2013, 01:55:39 PM »
Hey that was my kid! He's 15 and has been listening since he was 8. He even called once or twice back in the day. His buddy Morris got way more into it and called a bunch of times but Tom finally gave him the business and scared him off.

My family all think that I'm obsessed with The Best Show just because I have the posters all over my walls and talk about the show constantly. WTF?

I super best-show stoked today because my band got asked to open for Kurt Braunholer in SF (on the 16th of Aug at the Verdi Club), I am hoping we can learn an extra special Gary the Squirrel set for the occasion. Hey AP Mike!

Ha! That's awesome. I guess I didn't get a very good look, bikes being not very conducive to that kind of thing. Or I might just be terrible at determining ages. But, yeah, he seemed cool and it was a pleasant and unexpected thing to have happen. You've raised your kid well! (From what I can tell from a 2 minute interaction.)

Congrats on getting that show with KB! What's your band? I'll try to check out the show...especially if there are some Gary the Squirrel covers, since KB clearly loves Gary so much.

mostlymeat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #858 on: August 08, 2013, 05:56:31 PM »

Ha! That's awesome. I guess I didn't get a very good look, bikes being not very conducive to that kind of thing. Or I might just be terrible at determining ages. But, yeah, he seemed cool and it was a pleasant and unexpected thing to have happen. You've raised your kid well! (From what I can tell from a 2 minute interaction.)

Congrats on getting that show with KB! What's your band? I'll try to check out the show...especially if there are some Gary the Squirrel covers, since KB clearly loves Gary so much.

Thanks! Parenting kind of sucks so it's rewarding when one of your kids turns out ok!

The band is called The Wrong Words, I'm going to try to call the show next week to plug it....if I don't lose my nerve!

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #859 on: August 19, 2013, 11:43:56 AM »
Hey there, Andy from Indianapolis here. Been listening to the show since last December. Been trying to go back and listen to the older episodes as well as the Gems podcast too. Really enjoying it. Used to have a job where I worked Tuesday nights, so I had to listen to the podcast, but now can listen live (at least until 11:30, when I leave for work). Keep up the good work and I'll hopefully have a chance to call in. I do actually have a Frankie Teardrop story to share, so I'll probably call with that soon.

Cool man we got some FOTs down here in Bloomington if you ever make it down this way.

It's true what he says.

DadHasADD

• Policemans heel
« Reply #860 on: September 05, 2013, 05:19:29 PM »
Hi All,

I am Chuck & and I live in Central Jersey. I am ashamed to admit that I only discovered the Best Show in the past few months, as I have lived in Jersey all of my 38 years. It didn't take me long to get hooked on the show, though. (I am actually listening right now to the episode where Mike is describing the concept of Pigpen to Tom & Tom first listens to the clip!) In addition to Best Show, I listen to a few podcasts on the Earwolf Network (I loved Tom's appearance on the Comedy Bang Bang podcast.) I'm a big fan of comedy, movies & music, though I have kind have lost my street cred in the latter two since I had kids. Glad to be aboard.

SweatedFob

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #861 on: October 30, 2013, 10:27:43 PM »
Hey guys. I've been listening to the Best Show for a couple of years, but I've never really been involved in the community, though I have watched it from afar. With the recent announcement of the ending of the show, I feel more compelled than ever to post here.

byort

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #862 on: November 20, 2013, 04:16:05 PM »
Hi, everybody! My name is Troy, and I'm from central Illinois. Been listening for about 4 1/2 years and thought I'd put an introductory comment out there since I've posted a couple of times elsewhere. The Best Show will be missed, and the highest compliment I can pay Tom is that he is one of the good ones. Thanks for all the laughs!

Blake

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #863 on: December 18, 2013, 03:03:09 PM »
Hello FOT. I'm Blake in Riverside, CA. I've been listening since at least 2008, card carrying since 2009, but have only started reaching out to the FOT community in a meaningful way since Tom announced the end of the show. Since then I've been active on twitter and now that the show's officially in the bag, I'm joining the forum that has always intimidated me.
The way I figure it, this is a place for Friends of Tom - and that means whatever he and Jon and Mike do next as well, right? FOT is FOT for life.

Chad from The Woodlands

• Policemans heel
« Reply #864 on: December 20, 2013, 08:53:42 AM »
Hello, I am Chad who lives in The Woodlands, Texas, originally from Knoxville.  I started listening to WFMU around 2005 and  I  quickly locked onto the Best Show.  I had a radio in Knoxville for several years and The Best Show was everything I wished my show could have been. I listened when I could, but was not a completist in anyway.  In 2011 I entered into a rough patch and started hitting the archives to help me get through the day. Still working on the archives, and I am not much a forum type of guy, but the end has made me realize I should have been a true completist.

McKuw

• Policemans heel
« Reply #865 on: January 31, 2014, 05:31:01 AM »
Hello gang! Maddern in (but not from) Manchester (UK), here. I've been listening to The Best Show since 2009 (Best Show Gems was my entry point) and thought it was time I joined in with the fun over here at Friends of Tom, partly to fill the void that the end of The Best Show has left in my life, but also in readiness for the CRUSHING which is to take place in 2014 (see Tom's Twitter bio). Anyway, in the meantime, I'm going through the archives, trying to catch up on everything I've missed. Are there any other Best Show fans out there in Manchester (UK)?

I AM PLEASED TO MEET YOU!

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #866 on: January 31, 2014, 09:06:47 AM »
I had a radio in Knoxville for several years.
Until Dave took it away?
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Chad from The Woodlands

• Policemans heel
« Reply #867 on: March 23, 2014, 12:13:57 PM »

novafot3000

• Policemans heel
« Reply #868 on: March 30, 2014, 06:50:37 PM »
Hi, I am a relative latecomer to The Best Show.  I found out about the show after pledging to support WFMU in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy.  I didn't want a turntable t-shirt so took a chance on the other one and I am glad I did because it led me to learn about the show.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #869 on: March 30, 2014, 09:03:59 PM »
Hi, I am a relative latecomer to The Best Show. 
That is an understatement.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."