Author Topic: Hey New People - Any Questions?  (Read 84790 times)

snailed

• Policemans heel
Re: Hey New People - Any Questions?
« Reply #105 on: March 09, 2009, 08:25:18 PM »
have there been any animated videos done to best show bits?

emma

« Reply #106 on: March 09, 2009, 10:17:17 PM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkiOlsRnmnc[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQH7mTUEhro&feature=related[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNceoTi6B2g&feature=related[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZItl3Z_0jek&feature=related[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN9BhuzQjeU&feature=related[/youtube]

These are just a couple - do a youtube search for "best show on wfmu" and you'll turn up a bunch of entries from the video/art contest.

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2009, 11:08:15 PM »
See also Petey's list of Video and Art Contest entries.
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

DoodleJump!

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #108 on: March 09, 2009, 11:19:20 PM »
Kibblesmith's puppet videos are my favorite! They are so goshdarn cute/funny!
Also, the vid of Scharpling, Oswalt, Gibbard, and Leo performing "Take a Chance on Me" is one of my all-time favorites. Classic!
"Enough with the bandana, already." -Trace Atkins to Donald Trump

Sara from Chicago

• Policemans heel
« Reply #109 on: March 27, 2009, 03:27:28 PM »
This is potentially a really stupid question, but here goes. My favorite non-celebrity caller is named (I think) Ben Kuroc (sp)? The one who speaks perfect English because it's his second language. I heard he was on the boards but I haven't seen a username that's really obviously him. Can anyone tell me if he is on here, and/or what his name is, etc?

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #110 on: March 27, 2009, 04:38:11 PM »
This is potentially a really stupid question, but here goes. My favorite non-celebrity caller is named (I think) Ben Kuroc (sp)? The one who speaks perfect English because it's his second language. I heard he was on the boards but I haven't seen a username that's really obviously him. Can anyone tell me if he is on here, and/or what his name is, etc?

I also am a fan of Ben Karak (sp?) 's perfect enunciation.  Guy needs his own radio show.  No idea if he hangs out here.

Jouster

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #111 on: March 28, 2009, 06:39:40 PM »
Ben Kharakh is Keith Whitener.  He also posts frequently at aspecialthing.com under the same name.

Regular Joe

• Space Champion!
« Reply #112 on: March 29, 2009, 01:10:12 PM »
Ben Kharakh is Keith Whitener.  He also posts frequently at aspecialthing.com under the same name.

Shocking reveal! The mask has been pulled from Ben Kharakh's face!

2Bucks

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #113 on: March 29, 2009, 10:30:03 PM »
Can somebody please let me know when the original "shop for a coffin" call was made.

Pastor Josh

« Reply #114 on: March 29, 2009, 11:07:14 PM »
I heard Tom say not too long ago that the show used to be mostly music and has evolved.  What was the general scope of how the show evolved?  I realize I could just listen to every episode, but I'm curious about the broad outline.   Did the show become more ocnversational as regulars began calling in, or did the show's becoming more conversational allow/inspire regular callers?  Have the fake calls been coming since the beginning?
Who I don't have chocolate?

AaronC

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #115 on: March 30, 2009, 12:01:21 AM »
I heard Tom say not too long ago that the show used to be mostly music and has evolved.  What was the general scope of how the show evolved?  I realize I could just listen to every episode, but I'm curious about the broad outline.   Did the show become more ocnversational as regulars began calling in, or did the show's becoming more conversational allow/inspire regular callers?  Have the fake calls been coming since the beginning?

I recommend this podcast for a history of the show:  http://astradio.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=231533

Sara from Chicago

• Policemans heel
« Reply #116 on: March 30, 2009, 11:23:48 AM »

Thank you!!

Pastor Josh

« Reply #117 on: March 30, 2009, 11:40:34 AM »

I recommend this podcast for a history of the show:  http://astradio.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=231533

I've heard that, and that might be where I'd heard him talk baout the show's evolution.  I give it anohter listen, though.  Thanks.
Who I don't have chocolate?

Jouster

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #118 on: March 30, 2009, 04:00:25 PM »
Tom was exaggerating, or at least stretching the timeline, when he said that, I think.  Tom did a music show on WFMU pre-Best Show, and the early Best Shows had a lot more music, but the call-ins were basically along the same lines.  Tom definitely got better as the years passed, but the early shows aren't so different than now - a little less topic-driven, maybe.

Alvaro from GM

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #119 on: April 09, 2009, 03:06:30 AM »
He only introduced the topics towards the end of 2004.  Before that it was almost always open phone Tuesdays.  The callers started out not respecting him at all and around 2005 I think he started getting more of a handle on things.  I haven't heard the 2006 and 2007 years yet though, so your guess is as good as mine in that.  I am still in the era where Spike calls in pranking Tom, and has only once called in for the topic (worst song = "J-Ho - Jenny from the Block").

If anything pre-topic it was more conversational, he seems to keep tighter reigns on the callers and @APMike probably helps a great deal.

The first episode has two conspicuously famous sounding sports fans and I believe that there were even one or two fake calls on the original all music show that Tom did, unless I'm mistaken and Rot, Rock, and Rule wasn't from that show.