Author Topic: Hey New People - Any Questions?  (Read 85008 times)

fonpr

• Space Champion!
Re: Hey New People - Any Questions?
« Reply #165 on: November 02, 2009, 11:08:53 PM »
I do recall a Wurster call where he was talking about a detective show with a character named 'Munch'.

I was actually thinking about that bit recently--doesn't anyone remember the show it appeared on?

also, I didn't see this answered elsewhere: I am under the impression the reason Tom can't discuss Monk or S&W CDs has to do with conflict of interest laws--like you can't promote your own products on your own radio show.

It has been discussed around here somewhere.  Discussed quite a bit actually.

Tom can't discuss Monk or S&W CDs has to do with conflict of interest laws--like you can't promote your own products on your own radio show.

WARM.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Jouster

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #166 on: November 04, 2009, 02:20:38 AM »
I do recall a Wurster call where he was talking about a detective show with a character named 'Munch'.

I was actually thinking about that bit recently--doesn't anyone remember the show it appeared on?

also, I didn't see this answered elsewhere: I am under the impression the reason Tom can't discuss Monk or S&W CDs has to do with conflict of interest laws--like you can't promote your own products on your own radio show.

See this thread: http://www.friendsoftom.com/forum/index.php/topic,4317.0.html

chuck from cedar rapids

• Policemans heel
« Reply #167 on: January 11, 2010, 10:22:15 PM »
Hey guys, this is actually my first post. I'm a new listener and I'm doing my best to devour all the Best Show related media I can find.

Here's my question: in an effort to track down all the Scharpling & Wurster CDs, I checked Tom's Wikipedia entry (specifically the discography section). Everything is available on iTunes except for these two items:

• At The Speed Of Sound (Stereolaffs, 2009)
  • Best Show Uncovered Vol. 1 (2010) (MP3 CD)

How do I get obtain these albums?

Thanks guys.

moonshake

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #168 on: January 12, 2010, 09:01:52 AM »
Hey guys, this is actually my first post. I'm a new listener and I'm doing my best to devour all the Best Show related media I can find.

Here's my question: in an effort to track down all the Scharpling & Wurster CDs, I checked Tom's Wikipedia entry (specifically the discography section). Everything is available on iTunes except for these two items:

Thanks guys.

Those are limited edition CDs that are available only by pledging money to Tom's show during WFMU's pledge-drive. It looks like you might still be able to get the 2010 MP3 CD by pledging here: https://www.wfmu.org/marathon/pledge.php

Not sure about the Speed of Sound CD. That was from the previous marathon.
"You want me to recognize you and I won't. I won't acknowledge you! I deny you. So you keep begging and begging. The door is slammed on you. I want nothing to do with you. You will die unrecognized by me."
-Tom Scharpling

chuck from cedar rapids

• Policemans heel
« Reply #169 on: January 12, 2010, 11:02:40 AM »

Thanks guys.

Those are limited edition CDs that are available only by pledging money to Tom's show during WFMU's pledge-drive. It looks like you might still be able to get the 2010 MP3 CD by pledging here: https://www.wfmu.org/marathon/pledge.php

Not sure about the Speed of Sound CD. That was from the previous marathon.

Thanks for the response! I actually donated two days ago so I'm looking forward to receiving the MP3 CD.

dbvader

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #170 on: January 24, 2010, 02:12:22 PM »
Is there a reason The Best Show is not on iTunes anymore?  The last update I received is from November and if I search the show, nothing comes up.  Probably a well trod topic, but a search didn't turn anything up.

Thanks

Rick

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #171 on: January 24, 2010, 03:11:42 PM »
Is there a reason The Best Show is not on iTunes anymore?  The last update I received is from November and if I search the show, nothing comes up.  Probably a well trod topic, but a search didn't turn anything up.

Thanks

Rick

Yeah, what is the problem?  I ran into the same thing.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

chuck from cedar rapids

• Policemans heel
« Reply #172 on: January 24, 2010, 03:39:39 PM »

Thanks

Rick

Yeah, what is the problem?  I ran into the same thing.

This is interesting. I'm able to find the Best Show on WFMU and Best Show Gems with the search string "best show on WFMU".

If you aren't subscribed, you may have to download each show individually. My suggestion: access the iTunes store, click on the "Podcasts" tab, and try to search again.

Alternatively, have you tried using the iTunes link at http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/BS?

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #173 on: January 25, 2010, 03:59:44 PM »
You know, there are several podcasts listed at the WFMU podcasts page that I can never get to come up in the iTunes podcast search. For instance, I can never find the WFMU Nardwuar podcast link (which is OK, because I get it through CITR, and I think I have done it for about as long as I can stand anyway.) I wonder if its machine specific. Let me try from here and get back to you.

Fullmetalsp1

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #174 on: November 25, 2012, 04:28:39 AM »
Hey guys

Really sorry to breath life into an old topic that I am sure regulars are sick of but I am interested in advice from someone who is more computer savvy than I.
I have tried all advice that I could find on downloading early episodes of the show using the streaming capture wizard on VLC, however, I cannot seem to get the stream past the 2:38 mark without it stopping for no apparent reason.
If anyone has worked out a method of capturing old episodes of the show that I NEED to get me through an incredibly tedious job, I would much appreciate your assistance.

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #175 on: November 25, 2012, 03:35:55 PM »
I hear you full metal. Except my problem is my newly installed Mountain Lion won't let me download real player so all the eps before like 2008 are unavailable to me. Hate it!

Purple Aki

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #176 on: December 11, 2012, 08:38:11 PM »
Is Spike and Larry Da Perv for real? Surely not, they must be at least partly putting on a character.

wood and iron

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #177 on: December 11, 2012, 09:07:30 PM »
Is Spike and Larry Da Perv for real? Surely not, they must be at least partly putting on a character.

My estimation: LDP is a well developed character (my favorite part is his email address name was Lawrence D. Pervison) and Spike is as real as real gets.

cameron

• Policemans heel
« Reply #178 on: March 30, 2013, 12:19:21 PM »
This is a great topic, super informative. I wish I could think of a question to ask

Lenny from New Orleans

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #179 on: April 07, 2013, 02:32:49 AM »
Hi folks, technical question, what app can I use to listen to the realmedia episodes from the archives on an iPad? I loaded the realplayer app but it won't play the episodes. Any suggestions?