Author Topic: Hey New People - Any Questions?  (Read 84787 times)

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Hey New People - Any Questions?
« on: August 26, 2008, 02:26:57 PM »
Let the more experienced FOTs guide you through the process of getting settled!

You ask the questions and they answer them.

And remember there are no stupid questions!*

Tom.

*There are a few stupid questions.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
Re: Hey New People - Any Questions?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 02:33:36 PM »
Puberty's Chaperogne 2.0!

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 12:11:23 AM »

*There are a few stupid questions.

Such as: who is buried in Grant's Tomb?  Now that would be a stupid question.

New FOTs can ask any question, and should receive a "honeymoon" period in which stupid questions can be asked without penalty. When the honeymoon's over, all bets are off.

crumbum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 08:52:49 AM »
I'll go first with a multi-part question.

In an interview with Tom I read online (it was conducted in 2003), he talks a bit about a guy named Andrew Earles and his contributions to the show. It sounds like this guy's role was something like Jon Wurster's, but in Andrew's case the characters were a little more blended in with the real callers. Looking at the more recent press I get the impression he's no longer involved, and I haven't reached back as beyond 2005 in the archives yet so I'm not sure what he really sounded like. But in recent shows I've never noticed any non-Wurster calls that truly seemed put on (except by the typical attention-seeking James types). My questions: What happened to Andrew? Where should I go first to hear some good examples of his stuff? Is JW now the only caller of his kind? If not, any tips on spotting the other 'fakes'?

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 10:02:13 AM »
Start with Earles's failedpilot.com blog. He writes about some of his Best Show calls there.

Can I refresh your drink? Try the dip!

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 10:21:03 AM »
You can also check out the Earles & Jensen 2CD prank phone call compilation on Matador to hear some more Andrew Earles. If you're looking for Best Show calls featuring Mr. Earles, look in the archives for shows containing calls by Kevin, The Party Doctor, and Skag Winesack.

Jon Benjamin is the other major caller of this type, but he hasn't called for a very long time either.

I'll probably go into the wee hours.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 10:26:43 AM »
Earle's best character in my opinion was either the Party Doctor or Skag Winesack. If you scan the archives you can find references to them. His voice is pretty recognizeable. A small cadre of other comedians has also contributed to the show over the years.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 10:28:35 AM »
well, my reply was totally redundant. Damn phone interface. I'd say "damn wap" but you'd think I was racist.

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 10:30:10 AM »
The best Earles call, by far, is this:

September 25, 2001: Tom Talks To An Angry Mr. Bungle Fan
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 10:48:33 AM »
I'm partial to the Depressed Office Worker series, myself.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 10:56:14 AM »
I believe Earle's last appearance was on Sept. 19, 2006, as Tom's neighbor and High Priest of the Church of Satan, Keith Kincaid. Bryce's call the next week with details on the COS's Fun Faire is indispensable. Dennis Lindsey, Tom's other neighbor, who called and gave Tom a hard time about his Halloween setup.  You can hear him on the October 24, 2006 show.

- - - - - -

Jon Benjamin did a lot of interviews as various characters early on. My personal favs are April 3 and 10, 2001, as Tonight Show producer Brad Lester (a great slow burn that really really pays off at the end) and Feb. 13, 2001, as Ron Garver, author of Upright Positions: Flying the Erotic Skies (which is hilarious throughout). May 21, 2002, to me, is classic Best Show, with Tom playing it totally straight while Horatio Sanz and Jon Benjamin frustrate Matt Walsh.

- - - - - -

Check out this interview with S&W on AST Radio by isos and our own Jouster, which addresses the "What happened to Andrew?" portion of your question.
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

Jonathan Steven

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 10:57:28 AM »
I believed PFT called up as NBA superstar Mehmet Okur on some occasions.

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 11:02:19 AM »
Earles and Benjamin don't call anymore.  Kevin was my favorite, and was actually the first "Is this real?" experience I had with the show.  H. Jon Benjamin's Smirnoff Ice District Manager is one of my favorite calls EVER.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 11:03:45 AM »
Earles and Benjamin don't call anymore.  Kevin was my favorite, and was actually the first "Is this real?" experience I had with the show.  H. Jon Benjamin's Smirnoff Ice District Manager is one of my favorite calls EVER.

Has anyone counted the number of times he says "Smirnoff Ice" during this call? I'm guessing low 3,000s.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 11:40:06 AM »
I believed PFT called up as NBA superstar Mehmet Okur on some occasions.

That's Jon Glaser, and now the list is complete as far as I know it.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!