Author Topic: Hey New People - Any Questions?  (Read 84782 times)

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
Re: Hey New People - Any Questions?
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2008, 07:53:53 AM »
I'm only semi-new but I have a question- I've occasionally seen Julie Klausner (who I think is totally great) mentioned as having participated in the show in some way. When did that occur?

She was Skag Winesack's ex-wife on the April 25, 2006 show (no longer archived)

You can read about Klausner's great work as Cindy Winesack-Goldfarb here:

http://www.recidivism.org/2006/05/porcupine_pie.html
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

TheShamblers

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2008, 10:27:34 AM »
Why doesn't Tom play "Porcupine Pie" anymore?  Sometimes I feel like calling in and requesting a song just to hear him play that one instead.

AllisonLeGnome

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2008, 10:32:47 AM »
I'm only semi-new but I have a question- I've occasionally seen Julie Klausner (who I think is totally great) mentioned as having participated in the show in some way. When did that occur?

You can read about Klausner's great work as Cindy Winesack-Goldfarb here:

http://www.recidivism.org/2006/05/porcupine_pie.html

Thanks. It's the stuff from right before I started listening that throws me.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2008, 10:51:29 AM »
I'm partial to the Depressed Office Worker series, myself.

Absolutely - the guy who didn't wear a shirt to the office and just lunged at him to like he was going to hit him was so great.

Tanner Wildgrass, the real life inspiration for Patrick Swayzes' character in Roadhouse was my fav. 

In fact as great as the Gorch and Wildgrass are, maybe there's a whole untapped group of individuals out there who are the inspiration behind popular movie characters!

Plus, the repeated mentions of the blended/refrigerated Big Mac casserole.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2008, 10:53:05 AM »
Matt Walsh's calls are some of my favorite early moments in the show.  He was so very put upon each time he called.  Everyone was so cruel to him, including Tom!
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Spoony

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2008, 11:48:15 AM »
Why doesn't Tom play "Porcupine Pie" anymore?  Sometimes I feel like calling in a requesting a song just to hear him play that one instead.

It turned up a month ago. I don't have the exact date and I'm too tired to go through a months worth of episodes, but uh, yeah.

I am no help.

Days of Se7en

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2008, 12:47:53 PM »
Earles and Benjamin don't call anymore.  Kevin was my favorite, and was actually the first "Is this real?" experience I had with the show.  H. Jon Benjamin's Smirnoff Ice District Manager is one of my favorite calls EVER.

I remember listening to the Smirnoff Ice bit on a long car trip with my mom, and trying (unsuccessfully) to suppress my wild laughter so she wouldn't think I was insane (I had headphones on).
Don't worry, I'm not actually a fan of the film Se7en.  I just think that numerical spelling is hilarious.

Jouster

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2008, 01:18:19 PM »

No longer, no longer!  http://www.mediafire.com/?o7uaftysxc1 (Tornado Todd call removed)

Tim K in DC

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2008, 05:38:47 PM »
I think all Matt's characters were done with Jon Benjamin - Yankees fan, Rick Benson's father, Liquid Brooklyn, etc.

And the list is not complete without a mention of Sam Seder.

I thought that was Jon Glaser, not Matt Walsh, with H. Jon on the DJ Clue/Liquid Brooklyn appearance, no?
- Killing FOT threads dead since July 24, 2006 -

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2008, 06:25:03 PM »
Earle's best character in my opinion was either the Party Doctor or Skag Winesack. If you scan the archives you can find references to them. His voice is pretty recognizeable. A small cadre of other comedians has also contributed to the show over the years.

Dude, the best Earles phone call is Extreme Dad!!!  Got milk? Sega!! (Link found via the Best Show Vault).

No longer, no longer!  http://www.mediafire.com/?o7uaftysxc1 (Tornado Todd call removed)

Thank you, Jouster! Looking forward to hearing this ... I've never heard a woman call the show in character before (as far as I'm aware ... perhaps I've been fooled without knowing it). Thumbs up, Julie Klausner!
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Jouster

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2008, 06:47:22 PM »
I think all Matt's characters were done with Jon Benjamin - Yankees fan, Rick Benson's father, Liquid Brooklyn, etc.

And the list is not complete without a mention of Sam Seder.

I thought that was Jon Glaser, not Matt Walsh, with H. Jon on the DJ Clue/Liquid Brooklyn appearance, no?

No.  Glaser and Benjamin can be heard as Soundtracapella or as voiceover legend Kendrick Martin and his engineer Tony, among others.  DJ Clue and Liquid Brooklyn is Benjamin and Walsh.

John M.

• Policemans heel
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2008, 07:07:12 PM »
I've been trying to listen to the archive with Tanner Wildgrass, but it always just goes dead at 1:16:36. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone have this clip? Thanks.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2008, 07:31:06 PM »
I read an interview /w H Jon Benjamin where he said he always wanted to be serious but drifted into comedy.  His voice gets him 90% of the way there, the writing is just icing on the cake.  I loved his coach character from 'Home Movies'.

John M.

• Policemans heel
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2008, 09:34:18 PM »
Yeah, Benjamin kills it. I will never figure out why he hasn't starred in a movie about a loose cannon cop. After seeing him play the Bruce Willis impersonator on Human Giant, I think he'd be great in a comedic role like that.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2008, 10:45:40 PM »
Yeah, Benjamin kills it. I will never figure out why he hasn't starred in a movie about a loose cannon cop. After seeing him play the Bruce Willis impersonator on Human Giant, I think he'd be great in a comedic role like that.

That killed me as well.  I think it was the first time I'd ever seen him as opposed to just hearing his voice.