Author Topic: Hey New People - Any Questions?  (Read 84786 times)

theyellowchair

Re: Hey New People - Any Questions?
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2008, 05:19:31 PM »
Where/how can I become familiar with the john cale/judge smails references?

snogrog

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2008, 08:14:02 PM »
Uhh Judge Smails is the character Ted Knight TOTALLY ruled as in Caddyshack.

John Cale on the other hand I'm not 100% sure on.

Hopefully that may help.
He's this soulless bastard from Siberia. I once saw him shove Fred Savage's face in a toilet.

theyellowchair

« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2008, 09:01:16 PM »
Uhh Judge Smails is the character Ted Knight TOTALLY ruled as in Caddyshack.

John Cale on the other hand I'm not 100% sure on.

Hopefully that may help.

thanks for the response! i know who both men are but i keep seeing subtle references to them and i'm guessing i missed an episode where either one or both were lampooned. wondering if anyone can direct me to the proper archive listing.

thanks again!

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2008, 09:24:26 PM »
There isn't really a specific reference to Smails - he's continually referenced/quoted. If you check out the first movie quotes show, I believe he lists some of his favorite Smails quotes, but that's certainly not the only mention.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

snogrog

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2008, 12:37:46 AM »
yeah the movie quotes episode is definitely where he makes the most smails references. I think something like 8 quotes are from Caddyshack or something and at least 4 are from Smails.

Also, thumbs up on the Scott Bakula pic.
He's this soulless bastard from Siberia. I once saw him shove Fred Savage's face in a toilet.

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2008, 04:53:33 AM »
Tom is very open about his love of Caddyshack, particularly Ted Knight's performance. I think it's just a general reference that he get's enjoyment out of.
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.

theyellowchair

« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2008, 10:29:45 AM »
Also, thumbs up on the Scott Bakula pic.

thanks snogrog, just paying homage to one of the scrappiest ficticious athletes of all time.

Bob from Toronto

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2008, 11:52:31 PM »
I have a question.

Why does Tom hate Tom Waits so much?

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2008, 07:57:06 AM »
On that note, what's the deal with the Mickey Dolenz beef?

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2008, 05:02:17 PM »

from Omar's recap of the March 25, 2006 episode:
A caller switches the topic (starts at 2:21) to The Monkees, having recently read The Monkees: The Day-By-Day Story of the 60s TV Pop Sensation. He thought Mickey Dolenz came off as cool in the book, but recalled a sour run-in that Tom had with him. Tom recounted the incident, which occured at a prestigious, star-studded event.

Tom spotted Dolenz standing by myself, so he approached him to tell him that he was a huge fan of
Head. Dolenz blew him off, responding with "Yeah, a lot of people say that", and turning away. The caller mentions that the book reveals the band members to be sour and bitter, citing Peter Tork as the most insufferable. Tom disputes that, opting for Davy Jones, and GOMPs the caller for bersmirching Tork and pushing him under the bus. Tom speculates that Dolenz's dismissal of The Kid led to the demise of morning show on WCBS-FM, and calls for Dolenz to apologize to The Best Show to reverse the kaybash put on him.
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2008, 08:34:22 PM »
Thanks, now it all makes sense.

Wow, now Mickey Dolenz gossip on TBSOWFMU.  Now I'll understand what's up....

from Omar's recap of the March 25, 2006 episode:
A caller switches the topic (starts at 2:21) to The Monkees, having recently read The Monkees: The Day-By-Day Story of the 60s TV Pop Sensation. He thought Mickey Dolenz came off as cool in the book, but recalled a sour run-in that Tom had with him. Tom recounted the incident, which occured at a prestigious, star-studded event.

Tom spotted Dolenz standing by myself, so he approached him to tell him that he was a huge fan of
Head. Dolenz blew him off, responding with "Yeah, a lot of people say that", and turning away. The caller mentions that the book reveals the band members to be sour and bitter, citing Peter Tork as the most insufferable. Tom disputes that, opting for Davy Jones, and GOMPs the caller for bersmirching Tork and pushing him under the bus. Tom speculates that Dolenz's dismissal of The Kid led to the demise of morning show on WCBS-FM, and calls for Dolenz to apologize to The Best Show to reverse the kaybash put on him.

akaJudge

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2008, 11:50:39 AM »
I have a question.

Is that true?  I've never heard Tom say anything about Tom, but I'm a fairly new listener.
Your vigor for life appalls me.

Lint Brush

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2008, 03:03:25 PM »
Hi there.  My question goes back to the New Regime show earlier this year.  At one point Tom got fed up and played a few minutes of some awful Beatles/not Beatles studio session to punish the listeners.  What the heck was that?

Also, if it's okay to discuss, does anyone have thoughts on converting archived shows to mp3s for later listening?  The Super program no longer works for me . . .

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2008, 03:21:12 PM »
I have a question.

Is that true?  I've never heard Tom say anything about Tom, but I'm a fairly new listener.

Check out this recap for some Tom-on-Tom action (ha):

http://www.recidivism.org/2006/12/way_down_in_the_hole.html

"We don't have Rain Dogs? Oh, that must mean they've never replaced the copy that I destroyed." -- Tom on the absence of the album in the WFMU library
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2008, 01:49:36 PM »
Hi there.  My question goes back to the New Regime show earlier this year.  At one point Tom got fed up and played a few minutes of some awful Beatles/not Beatles studio session to punish the listeners.  What the heck was that?

"you give me three bad minutes, i give you three bad minutes."