Author Topic: Humorless Politics Thread  (Read 853880 times)

Kormodd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Humorless Politics Thread
« Reply #2475 on: November 14, 2013, 04:36:39 PM »
He might have overdone the gravitas of the apology with that football-patterned tie.
Ever do nothing and gain nothing from it?
Ever feel stupid and then know that you really are?
Ever think you're smart and then find out you aren't?
Ever play the fool and then find out that you're worse?

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2476 on: November 14, 2013, 04:40:42 PM »
He might have overdone the gravitas of the apology with that football-patterned tie.

Under the circumstances, he thought better of this one:

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2477 on: November 14, 2013, 04:57:28 PM »
Article by a guy who does a good Twitter parody account (I was momentarily taken in by the Fake Ford page, before I inspected it more closely).

http://o.canada.com/technology/mayor-rob-frod-true-identity/
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2478 on: November 14, 2013, 06:00:53 PM »
North Carolina's governor is a pale, pale echo of this. Mostly he lies in situations where there's no need to lie and can't understand why people are bothered by him lying.

I don't mean political by which he meant he talked to people *not* at the demonstration as he walked to his office.

Also, repeatedly referring to his resigning Secretary of Public Safety Kieran Shanahan as "Karen" and then "Sharon."

And during the campaign, doing a commercial where he called his dog "Mo" and then "Bo" in *the same video*.

I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Flood

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #2479 on: November 14, 2013, 09:42:29 PM »
Are we sure Rob Ford isn't from Newbridge?
FOTpediaAP Mike Day! – I feed you garbage!

Flood

• Achilles bursitis

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2481 on: November 15, 2013, 01:16:36 PM »
"The show, named 'Ford Nation,' will air Mondays at 8 p.m. on Sun News Network, beginning Nov. 18".

"Ford Nation" aka "How long before Rob or Doug Dies?"

Maybe not that long, judging by the Sun News Network's rush to get this on the air. Hey guys, we've put together a show, and it starts, uh ... three days from now!!
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2482 on: November 15, 2013, 02:03:53 PM »
Unless I misunderstand, this tv show will not (for better or worse) be a reality show, but a talk show where Rob and Doug Ford take pot shots at their enemies, take phone calls from sycophants, and make small talk about sports. Until it was cancelled last week, they had a radio show that fit this template. It was brutally dull and stupid. These two guys are completely inarticulate and witless.

Ford's gaffes and pratfalls are spellbinding, but if you actually have to listen to what the guy says for any length of time, it can make you measurably stupider.

This doesn't make it any less sickening that the Sun News Network (often referred to as "Fox News North") is giving these guys a platform at a time when everyone else is finally stopping the enabling.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2483 on: November 15, 2013, 02:27:21 PM »
This, from the comment section at Wonkette, can never be topped:

"Canada, Jesus, what the hell? Get your shit together!"

"[sob] I learned it from you, USA. I LEARNED IT FROM YOU."
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2484 on: November 17, 2013, 10:05:47 PM »
Despite a plea from the CFL commissioner to stay away, an upbeat looking Ford showed up to watch his hometown Argonauts take on and lose to the Hamilton Tiger-Cats for a berth in next week’s Grey Cup. He also gave an interview with an American media outlet to make his case.

Ford posed for pictures and hugged fellow spectators before taking a seat near a rival fan with a sign stating “Our mayor’s better than yours,” while those sitting behind him looked angry at having their view blocked by the commotion.

He was mobbed by people who mostly seemed supportive as he left the game.

Trembling Eagle Alert:

Ford repeated that he is not an alcoholic or a drug addict, adding that he’s getting professional help and hitting the gym “for two hours every day.”

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/11/17/rob-ford-causes-commotion-attending-toronto-cfl-game-he-was-asked-not-to-attend/
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Kormodd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #2485 on: November 17, 2013, 10:35:46 PM »

That blank, child-like expression will never not be funny.
Ever do nothing and gain nothing from it?
Ever feel stupid and then know that you really are?
Ever think you're smart and then find out you aren't?
Ever play the fool and then find out that you're worse?

Flood

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #2486 on: November 18, 2013, 08:18:20 AM »
"I drank too much, I smoked some crack sometime. What can I say? I made a mistake."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/18/world/canada-rob-ford-interview/index.html

Like a BAWS! 8)

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2487 on: November 18, 2013, 11:20:53 AM »
A new poll offers a bit of context for Ford's widely-reported approval ratings: 

Police Chief Blair (who confirmed the existence of the crack video a few weeks ago) 80%.
Generic city councillor 74%.
City hall reporters 64%.
City Council generally 57%.
Doug Ford 42%.
Mayor Rob Ford 40%.

When the question is 'trustworthiness' rather than 'approval' the Mayor's number slips to 34%.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2488 on: November 18, 2013, 01:45:06 PM »
This afternoon, during a city council session in which council is trying to strip Ford of most of his powers as Mayor, he did a drunk driving pantomime aimed towards one of his political enemies who had received a warning for driving under the influence (n.b. that Councillor Ainslie was below the legal limit, and Ford has both been convicted of DUI and admitted to recently driving drunk.)

Dignified!

Flood

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #2489 on: November 18, 2013, 04:04:50 PM »