Author Topic: Humorless Politics Thread  (Read 853684 times)

John Junk 2.0

Re: Why The Dems Might Lose
« Reply #255 on: September 13, 2008, 01:47:05 PM »
Gilly, I totally agree with your point.  I just hold all those newly-involved younguns don't get turned off the whole thing when they realize that no one ever gets a politician they can be happy with. 

Right on.  That's why I think it becomes silly to threaten the canada move all the time.  What if Obama wins?  Then it may as well be like "If Obama doesn't openly support gay marriage, I'm moving to Canada!"  You should probably move to Canada because you want to move to Canada and not because you're mad at the voting habits of other Americans. 

Sarah

« Reply #256 on: September 13, 2008, 03:44:31 PM »
I think when people make that threat--or even carry it out--it often has less to do with pique at their fellow citizens than with terror at what they think their country is about to become.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #257 on: September 14, 2008, 12:22:11 AM »
There's only one thing that could get me to move to Canada: if the Expos left Montreal.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

<<<<<

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #258 on: September 14, 2008, 12:28:02 AM »
I think when people make that threat--or even carry it out--it often has less to do with pique at their fellow citizens than with terror at what they think their country is about to become.

Depends on what form of terror the country is about to become.  Sort of like if someone said "These Nazi's scare me, I'm moving to Poland!" 

Sarah

« Reply #259 on: September 14, 2008, 07:50:48 AM »
And that's why my parents moved to New Zealand.

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #260 on: September 14, 2008, 10:35:14 AM »
I have a friend who moved to New Zealand because he couldn't become a citizen in the U.S., and I've had more than one moment where I've thought that wasn't such a bad deal for him after all. And I'm not from the school of "if this crazed right-wing zealot is elected, I'm leaving the states." New Zealand sounds like a great place, even if it is one of the most isolated places on earth. I miss my friend though.

emma

« Reply #261 on: September 14, 2008, 05:44:12 PM »
Canada's not so bad. We're even having our own little election here! Were you aware? There is some Serious Shit going down, and by that I mean our terrifying prime minister has been putting on sweater vests and playing the piano a lot. It is like your election would be if everyone was taking a lot of prozac and also no one cared.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #262 on: September 14, 2008, 06:57:05 PM »
canada is silly.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

emma

« Reply #263 on: September 14, 2008, 07:21:47 PM »
canada is silly.

Naw. Our despicable politicians are just a little more openly lame than yours.

Republicans:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK4oWay1VbE&feature=user[/youtube]

Conservatives:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZfHe2LMRb0[/youtube]

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #264 on: September 14, 2008, 08:08:23 PM »
canada is silly.

I like silliness. If Canada is really silly, it's for me!!

Nah, just kidding, Canada isn't silly. What's silly is people giving up on the United States so early. So a huge mass of crazed religious zealots and crackpots have hijacked one of the major political parties (the one in power). Doesn't that mean we should fight back and try to bring better governance to our country? (There are still about 7 weeks until the election.) Maybe if one doesn't really have strong feelings about America one way or the other, moving would be a fine idea. To me, that seems silly.

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #265 on: September 14, 2008, 08:52:26 PM »
I feel like the more explicitly non-representative the government gets, the weaker it becomes, which means you could eventually find yourself in a different, post-revolution country altogether without changing citizenship if you just stuck around long enough.  I mean, if it's true that the electorate is split down the middle, and it's also true we don't even have a majority of the country voting anyway, what does that say about our alleged "representatives" in government?  It's like we have an official country on television and then the phantom, actual country that is not being documented.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #266 on: September 15, 2008, 10:06:35 AM »

Conservatives:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZfHe2LMRb0[/youtube]

Emma, I've been trying to think of some appropriate context for posting that Harper video. I salute you for coming up with one.

emma

« Reply #267 on: September 15, 2008, 10:22:04 AM »
It is just so completely fucking weird! I am still not entirely sure it isn't a parody ad.

Hopefully the next ad they come out with will be a tape of him and his son "jamming."

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #268 on: September 15, 2008, 10:27:24 AM »
Weird? I dunno - it makes me see that Stephen Harper is a regular dad. Just like my dad!

... if my dad had tiny evil eyes, and he enforced arbitrarily cruel federal policies, and if he told lies about "jamming" with me in television commercials.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #269 on: September 15, 2008, 10:46:28 AM »
I feel like the more explicitly non-representative the government gets, the weaker it becomes

Like that weak-ass China!