Author Topic: Humorless Politics Thread  (Read 853852 times)

Beth

• Space Champion!
Re: Humorless Politics Thread
« Reply #960 on: October 31, 2008, 01:09:24 PM »
Watching Barack Obama on Rachel Maddow's show tonight renewed my faith both in American Politics and in American Journalism. 

MSNBC kicks ass, am I right, sheeple?

Maddow and Olberman kick ass
NBC just sells ad space for GE
who makes light bulbs and bombs

btw is it ok to be attracted to butch looking women?

???
*does pushups*

I totally have a crush on Rachel Maddow.

I'm 100% in love with her.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #961 on: October 31, 2008, 02:30:41 PM »
Yeah, I like Rachel Maddow a lot more than Keith Older Man. Did you read her mini-interview in the NY Times Magazine?  (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/19/magazine/19wwln-domains-t.html?scp=1&sq=rachel%20maddow&st=cse)

Keith is better at thundering denunciations, though.

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #962 on: October 31, 2008, 04:32:33 PM »
Republicans are using an American Idol approach to their campaign.  This Tito The Builder guy is like a fucking cartoon character.  Why don't they just cgi some kind of mascot character made out of oil and tax breaks to go around and call Obama the Antichrist.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #963 on: October 31, 2008, 04:38:31 PM »

JP

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #964 on: October 31, 2008, 05:45:50 PM »
I just think the Republicans need to get some sweet jingles.

Those were marathon political commercials back in nem days; much better than the political commercials now.

And I guess if the Kennedy Kennedy Kennedy Kennedy Kennedy Kennedy song has to have the line "to be elected president no matter what his creed" then Mormon's and Muslim's probably have a looooong way to go.

JP
1. My Prerogative - Bobby Brown
2. Every Rose Has Its Thorn - Poison
3. Straight Up - Paula Abdul
4. Miss You Much - Janet Jackson
5. I'll Be There For You - Bon Jovi 
6. Toy Solider - Martika 
7. Good Thing - Fine Young Cannibals

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #965 on: October 31, 2008, 07:51:46 PM »

And I guess if the Kennedy Kennedy Kennedy Kennedy Kennedy Kennedy song has to have the line "to be elected president no matter what his creed" then Mormon's and Muslim's probably have a looooong way to go.

The first Catholic presidential nominee Al Smith was met with burning crosses across America in the 1920s.

Fast forward 85 or so years and Opus Dei (in conjunction with Skull & Bones, Jewish bankers, and reverse vampires) controls America!  So there's hope.

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #966 on: October 31, 2008, 08:58:14 PM »
Watching Barack Obama on Rachel Maddow's show tonight renewed my faith both in American Politics and in American Journalism. 

I'm all for Barack, but I had a small problem with Maddow when she was on that panel during the primaries with some of her insensitivity about Mormonism (re: Romney.)  I can certainly understand being against Romney, but maybe I'm just too sensitive about that Mormon issue.

One other minor issue:

"Maddow did not own a television before starting the show"

Prior to 1975 the official LDS position was that blacks couldn't hold positions in their clergy and couldn't get to heaven because they were descendants of Ham and/or the devil. Just like Scientology you can have your nutty beliefs but expect to be called on them, by me anyway.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #967 on: October 31, 2008, 09:14:44 PM »

I'm all for Barack, but I had a small problem with Maddow when she was on that panel during the primaries with some of her insensitivity about Mormonism (re: Romney.)  I can certainly understand being against Romney, but maybe I'm just too sensitive about that Mormon issue.

One other minor issue:

"Maddow did not own a television before starting the show"

Prior to 1975 the official LDS position was that blacks couldn't hold positions in their clergy and couldn't get to heaven because they were descendants of Ham and/or the devil. Just like Scientology you can have your nutty beliefs but expect to be called on them, by me anyway.

Mmm... ham.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #968 on: October 31, 2008, 09:50:17 PM »
Yeah, I like Rachel Maddow a lot more than Keith Older Man. Did you read her mini-interview in the NY Times Magazine?  (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/19/magazine/19wwln-domains-t.html?scp=1&sq=rachel%20maddow&st=cse)

Keith is better at thundering denunciations, though.

His special comment about Joe the Plumber the other night made me crack up.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Josh

• Space Champion!
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

A.M. Thomas

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #970 on: October 31, 2008, 11:59:25 PM »
it's totally obvious who that little kid is voting for.
http://youtube.com/?v=nVl0FRzldxI

It's a shame there wasn't a Best Show on Tuesday.  If there were, maybe Damon Weaver would have thrown his little microphone into the ring for the 2008 Newbridge Mayubernatorial Election.  He would've had my vote.

I'm not a chicken,  you're a turkey.

JP

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #971 on: November 01, 2008, 01:24:37 AM »

OK, to clarify what you're saying:

1.  That mormons are on par with scientologists in terms of irrational beliefs? 
2.  That mormons have a racist past?
3.  That you would write off any mormon politician based on your (limited) understanding
of items 1. and 2. ?

Anyway, I've heard it all before, but you show the insensitivity / intolerance / ignorance that mormons will probably face for a long time.
1. My Prerogative - Bobby Brown
2. Every Rose Has Its Thorn - Poison
3. Straight Up - Paula Abdul
4. Miss You Much - Janet Jackson
5. I'll Be There For You - Bon Jovi 
6. Toy Solider - Martika 
7. Good Thing - Fine Young Cannibals

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #972 on: November 01, 2008, 02:25:40 AM »

3.  That you would write off any mormon politician based on your (limited) understanding
of items 1. and 2. ?

Anyway, I've heard it all before, but you show the insensitivity / intolerance / ignorance that mormons will probably face for a long time.

1. yes, of course with the planets and the female and male Gods even the origin with the golden tablets, native Americans as Jews. shit is wacky.

2. This isn't even a point of contention, it's recent history. The only real question is to what degree prominent Mormons like Romney disavow the churches old policy and teachings. *video of him doing some careful sidestepping of the issue*

3. I don't care much about peoples religious beliefs in regards to politics UNLESS they use their beliefs to inform their policies. Then it's fair game. For example if someone is opposed to gay marriage, women's reproductive rights, banning sex ed or condoms, teaching creationism solely on some religious authority.....then they are more than fair game. The second your pretend world starts to hurt people it becomes a huge issue.

Yeah, well poor Mormons my heart weeps. Being an offshoot of protestant Christianity I'm sure they relish being persecuted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pcw0woPX5VY

todd

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #973 on: November 01, 2008, 02:48:47 AM »

of items 1. and 2. ?

Not sure what was insensitive, ignorant, or intolerant of bringing up the year this stuff went down.

Sarah

« Reply #974 on: November 01, 2008, 07:39:59 AM »
God, I hate religion.

Question:  I've never understood Ronald Reagan's appeal and now am especially mystified by the widespread claims that he was a great president.  Would one of you knowledgeable types explain to me what he is supposed to have done that is so great?