Author Topic: Terrible New Game Idea  (Read 3514 times)

J W Buchanan

• Plantar Fasciitis
Terrible New Game Idea
« on: December 08, 2006, 11:45:22 AM »
Dear Tom & FOT,

A few weeks ago when I was bedridden and fairly delirious with fever, I woke up in the middle of the night with an idea for an on-air Best Show game, which I then frantically tried to piece back together the next morning (probably unsuccessfully). I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work as a game, and I'm not even sure that it makes any sense, but maybe at least my explanation of the game will be kind of amusing.

The game is a variation on the Build-A-Movie Game-- but harkening back to Tom's onetime claim that Nic Cage had optioned the film rights to the Rolling Stones song "Going Home" for millions of dollars, this game focuses on the dumb and obnoxious idea & practice of optioning songs, basing movies on songs, or using the title of a popular song as a film title.

The participant would suggest a song and maybe an actor or two (Tom gets full veto power), and then Tom could develop it into a movie treatment. Who would you cast in Tapioca Tundra: The Movie? Could you even resist going to see The Ballad of El Goodo, even if it was a teen movie starring Haylie & Hillary Duff? Is Porcupine Pie a stoner comedy or a horror film? (Or worse yet, a jeans fetish video shot in Neil Diamond's paneled basement?) THESE ARE QUESTIONS THAT BEG ANSWERS.

Submitted faithfully,
J W Buchanan, esq.
Sargeant-At Arms

Chris L

• Space Champion!
Re: Terrible New Game Idea
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 12:22:21 PM »
I think that's a potentially great idea, although if Tom decides to use it everyone should save their answers for the show.  Except terrible ones like this one: 2 Live Jews' "Oy! It's So Humid: The Movie," starring Jackie Mason and the late Alan King.