Author Topic: An Attack on the Honor of Your Lady Friend, Jillian Barberie  (Read 4806 times)

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
An Attack on the Honor of Your Lady Friend, Jillian Barberie
« on: September 02, 2008, 12:14:59 AM »
Hi Tom,

I practice a doctrine of "Know thine enemy". This morning I was listening to episode 322f of Jimmy Pardo's Never Not Funny podcast (allegedly a comedy show; I only listen to the free bit, because I would never give that animal money. Were it not for variations on the f-word, the podcast would be dead silent.)

Starting at about 6:15, Pardo launched into an attack on the integrity and honor of your special lady friend,  Jillian Barberie in the most salacious way imaginable, attacking her not only on the basis of her onscreen talents, but also making lascivious innuendos with a disgusting dollop of racism on top.

I knew that you would want to know, so that you might properly defend her honor. I suggest barges at dawn.

Your pal,

dfk

PS Will you sign off on the Jesse Thorn jihad? When asked recently to list his three favorite podcasts, The Best Show was not even listed as an alternate.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
Re: An Attack on the Honor of Your Lady Friend, Jillian Barberie
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 12:53:40 AM »
DFK --

I respectfully ask you to ease up a bit on Mr. Thorn. He's guilty of being a bit of a dork ... but aren't we all. But I feel the world would be a worse place without TSOYA. And yes, I also sometimes enjoy that other show he does, with Tom's enemy Jordan Norris. I'll admit it.

As to the "favorite podcast" issue ... I'm thinking that Jesse was focusing on things that are podcast only, without any roots in "terrestrial" radio (what a weird term that is ... if you think about it, internet radio is more earthbound than traditional radio. Although I suppose that the "terrestrial" term was coined as an opposite to satellite radio. But who cares about that satellite shit?).

Anyway ... the other reason I'm defending Jesse is that he's the one who introduced me to TBSOWFMU in the first place. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who found the show that way.

As far as throwing Jimmy Pardo under the bus ... eh, go ahead. I could take him or leave him. And his annoying bark of a laugh.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 08:28:58 AM »
Jesse is a good guy. He has helped the show in so many ways over the years and if anything deserves to be celebrated, not condemned. He was one of the very very early people pushing for a Best Show podcast. And he has helped the show make other connections. So I have nothing but respect for the guy.

Tom.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 08:32:45 AM »
I was joking, of course. I have said many times on this very site that Jesse Thorn is responsible for my introduction to the work of George Saunders, and for that I will forgive him anything.

Again, I was joking, as I would hope my use of the word "jihad" would indicate. I'm not even Buddhist!

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 01:06:56 PM »
Alright, alright. Guess I was being oversensitive.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 02:14:58 PM »
I thought that guy's name was DON Pardo.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Clint

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 03:40:30 PM »
I thought that guy's name was DON Pardo.

No. That's his father.

Sarah

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 04:34:54 PM »
If that's true, then I'm distantly related to Jimmy Pardo. 

Impressive, huh?

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 05:24:55 PM »
Hate to break it to you, Sarah, but it's not true.

Sarah

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 08:05:27 PM »
My heart is broken.  But I'm still distantly related to Don Pardo, and that's what counts.  Gives meaning to my very existence, in fact.

erechoveraker

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 10:05:00 PM »
I thought his last name was PARTON? What podcast have I been giving 20 bucks to each week then?

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 10:14:11 AM »
I thought his last name was PARTON? What podcast have I been giving 20 bucks to each week then?

The Dolly Parton variety hour? It's pretty magical whenever she duets with Pat Francis.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 11:24:33 AM »

The Dolly Parton variety hour?

Now THAT would be a podcast worth paying for. Come on, Dolly. Get with the 21st century.