Author Topic: First Calls: The Thrills, The Spills, The Horrors  (Read 61032 times)

jbissell

• Space Champion!
Re: First Calls: The Thrills, The Spills, The Horrors
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 03:37:14 PM »
I was a podcast only listener up until a few months ago and it would kill me when there would be a topic and I'd come up with a contribution but couldn't call in with it, so I decided to start listening live.  I've made two calls now (celebrity iTunes playlist of Carlos Mencia/Dane Cook & Chriss Angel last night) and both times I was really nervous, even though there really was no good reason for it.  I hate listening to my calls afterwards because I can't help but analyze them (like my first call I gave my name and talked right over Tom asking where I was from & last night when I didn't even give my name).  I'm hoping it gets less nervewracking the more you call in.

Spoony

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 04:25:45 PM »
My first call was during a prolonged episode of Coffin Talk. While I was on hold, the show spiraled into a discussion of drinking alone, and who was stupid.

My roommate, oddly enough, had not let me have a beer earlier (he'd come back from the store with 3 six-packs) so I threw him under the bus and told Tom that my roommate was standing between me and a cold one. Tom demanded to speak with him and told him to Shop For A Coffin. The roommate says "your friend hung up on me. He's weird."

I let Roommate have my Best Show Fun Pack t-shirt, since he's an avid Scarface fan and I wanted to be a good sport, but he took a look at it and said "they got the phrase wrong. It's 'Say Hello To My Little Friend."

Pearls to swine.

emma

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 04:34:59 PM »
I get those shakes too, for sure.

After my first call I was so wired I didn't get to sleep until 3 a.m.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 04:37:35 PM »
My first call was during a prolonged episode of Coffin Talk. While I was on hold, the show spiraled into a discussion of drinking alone, and who was stupid.

My roommate, oddly enough, had not let me have a beer earlier (he'd come back from the store with 3 six-packs) so I threw him under the bus and told Tom that my roommate was standing between me and a cold one. Tom demanded to speak with him and told him to Shop For A Coffin. The roommate says "your friend hung up on me. He's weird."

That is an awesome first call story.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Spoony

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 05:14:46 PM »

That is an awesome first call story.

Thanks. It was awesome throwing that tool into The Best Show Volcano.

Emma, I hear you. If I call, I'm going to be up for a while.

C

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 05:25:02 PM »

This used to happen to me every time I called! But luckily it didn't last long :)
from the land of pleasant living

tomkaters

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 07:42:45 PM »

This used to happen to me every time I called! But luckily it didn't last long :)

I was pretty pumped after making the phone call...but mostly because I was able to vent my Kevin Smith hatred.

Forrest

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2008, 07:47:13 PM »
I was calling the show pretty regularly for a while, but curtailed it hard in 2008. I hated hearing myself on the podcast and would always fast forward during it. Now I just call occasionally if there's a topic that sets off a lighbulb and I don't have to force it, which I think has only been two or maybe three times this year. I'm comfortable having been a mildly-successful (one GOMP), if unremarkable, caller.

AllisonLeGnome

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2008, 07:50:36 PM »
I only just went in the chat for the first time, so I think calling will be a step for the future. And it seems like I only have something to contribute when I'm listening to the podcast days later.

herbie

• Policemans heel
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2008, 09:28:36 PM »
my first call was all kinds of horrible. then i gradually worked my way back into tom's favor. then.... something else happened!

emma

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2008, 10:09:17 PM »
I only just went in the chat for the first time, so I think calling will be a step for the future. And it seems like I only have something to contribute when I'm listening to the podcast days later.

I'm still waiting for someone to call up with something for the "wit of the staircase" topic from like a year ago.

Though I think DFK might have done that like a week after it aired. So, um, maybe I'm not?

Julie

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2008, 12:44:08 AM »
Shoot, if Tom hangs up on you, it's funny! And it's not as easy as it should be to get him to hang up! So don't be such a dork and call. Then, when you are a boring loser, pretend to your friends that it was intentional and not one of them will be the wiser. And everyone else will laugh at you and you will be famous and win millions dollars and have a wife in every port.
I have a long history of booing

Spoony

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2008, 01:37:37 AM »
YES! You listen to Julie. She is a woman of the trenches.

Say what you want about her, but this girl is as entertaining as a powercaller and knows how to keep the show on it's toes.

If Erika is the Green Lantern, then Julie is Sinestro, that one with the yellow lantern.

mokin

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2008, 03:15:05 AM »
I don't really remember my first call. Maybe offering Joe Francis during one of the many "people you hate" topics? It was completely average.

My favorite call, though, was when I submitted Tom Bosley as the median in the Best to Worst list. It made Tom laugh, which is all you can hope for.

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2008, 07:45:36 AM »
my first call was all kinds of horrible. then i gradually worked my way back into tom's favor. then.... something else happened!

Herbie!  You will rise again, son.
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies