Author Topic: First Calls: The Thrills, The Spills, The Horrors  (Read 60933 times)

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
Re: First Calls: The Thrills, The Spills, The Horrors
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2008, 12:49:38 PM »
I only just went in the chat for the first time, so I think calling will be a step for the future. And it seems like I only have something to contribute when I'm listening to the podcast days later.

I'm still waiting for someone to call up with something for the "wit of the staircase" topic from like a year ago.

Though I think DFK might have done that like a week after it aired. So, um, maybe I'm not?

I don't understand what your crazy words mean.

CurtBlair

• Policemans heel
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2008, 01:06:39 PM »
I don't really remember my first call. Maybe offering Joe Francis during one of the many "people you hate" topics? It was completely average.

My favorite call, though, was when I submitted Tom Bosley as the median in the Best to Worst list. It made Tom laugh, which is all you can hope for.

That was inspired. Tom Bosley is indeed the human equivalent of noodle soup.
Use your head, can't you, use your head! You're on earth, there's no cure for that!

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2008, 01:35:45 PM »
I just realized that I sorta blocked out my first call... it wasn't the David Bowie package call, it was me squealing like a thirteen-year-old about Zach Galifianakis. It was mortifying when I realized I was on the air. But I did get to talk to my ultimate comedy crush, so that made it all worth it.
from the land of pleasant living

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2008, 01:40:00 PM »
I just realized that I sorta blocked out my first call... it wasn't the David Bowie package call, it was me squealing like a thirteen-year-old about Zach Galifianakis. It was mortifying when I realized I was on the air. But I did get to talk to my ultimate comedy crush, so that made it all worth it.

You made the recap quotes on your first call!

"You can call me David, if you want to. It's alright." -- Erika, granting Zach permission to call her by a man's name

(Zach called you David because he was so used to getting male callers.)
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

emma

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2008, 01:44:08 PM »
I only just went in the chat for the first time, so I think calling will be a step for the future. And it seems like I only have something to contribute when I'm listening to the podcast days later.

I'm still waiting for someone to call up with something for the "wit of the staircase" topic from like a year ago.

Though I think DFK might have done that like a week after it aired. So, um, maybe I'm not?

My memory is faulty!

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2008, 01:57:28 PM »

My memory is faulty!

My first real call was built around me having a flat tire on my way to listening to the show for first time live; I called Tom and asked him not to do anything entertaining before I could get home. He promised that nothing entertaining was in the cards.

Jonathan Steven

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2008, 02:27:33 PM »
One of these days I'll have to make a first call.

namethebats

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2008, 03:59:43 PM »
My first (and so far, only) call was a story about Run-DMC's "Rock Box" for the "soundtrack to your life" topic in June. Tom liked it, which has made me nervous about a follow-up.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2008, 05:27:46 PM »
I love "Rock Box." 

I had one (and only one) call where I said I'd least like to be handcuffed (that was the topic) to David Blaine because I would be torn between wanting him to fail to get out of the handcuffs (to see him fail) and wanting him to successfully get us out of the handcuffs (but having to deal with his smugness over pulling the trick off).

I think it's kinda funny but, typically for me, waaaaaaay overthought.

Maybe I'll call in again if I ever think of an easy answer for the topic.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Julie

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2008, 06:24:42 PM »
YES! You listen to Julie. She is a woman of the trenches.

Say what you want about her, but this girl is as entertaining as a powercaller and knows how to keep the show on it's toes.

If Erika is the Green Lantern, then Julie is Sinestro, that one with the yellow lantern.

What is Sinestro? Could you change it to Sinestra or Sinestralia? What is the Green Lantern? Why can't I be a red lantern?
I have a long history of booing

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2008, 06:29:40 PM »
YES! You listen to Julie. She is a woman of the trenches.

Say what you want about her, but this girl is as entertaining as a powercaller and knows how to keep the show on it's toes.

If Erika is the Green Lantern, then Julie is Sinestro, that one with the yellow lantern.

What is Sinestro? Could you change it to Sinestra or Sinestralia? What is the Green Lantern? Why can't I be a red lantern?

1. Drink up lots of Goldshlager (or something else if you prefer).

2. Put a red lampshade on your head.

3. Fight crime. Or commit crimes. Your choice.

4. You're the red lantern!
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Phantom Hugger

« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2008, 06:53:12 PM »
My first call was on the night of the monkfish cooler delivery. I hadn't realized what had happened until I listened to the archive the next day at work. (unGOMPed)

After a couple more calls scattered over a few months I realized that I was one of those boring nice guys that the new regime was created to vanquish.

Now I just listen.

AllisonLeGnome

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2008, 07:30:23 PM »
My first real call was built around me having a flat tire on my way to listening to the show for first time live; I called Tom and asked him not to do anything entertaining before I could get home. He promised that nothing entertaining was in the cards.

I remember that- when he obliged instead of GOMPing you it was a sign of good things to come.

deeptone500

• Policemans heel
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2008, 09:14:03 PM »
i'm the guy who attempted to besmirch jimmy workman, famous for portraying pugsley in the addams family movies.  it is a legit story though. message me and i will tell you off the air.

i tried to keep my fail from my brother, then of course it showed up as a beginning-of-show-GOMP. TANKS GUYZZZ
@everyshark

Gibby

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2008, 03:16:29 PM »
My first call in the next four weeks. Mark it down.
"How do they see you when there's no light?"