Author Topic: Sunday good movie bi-fecta  (Read 38244 times)

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
Re: Sunday good movie bi-fecta
« Reply #150 on: September 01, 2009, 01:57:19 PM »

I find Johnny Dangerously shockingly underrated for a pretty bad movie.  That is, it's bad, but nowhere near as bad as people think it is.  And it has many memorably funny lines.  Johnny's mother alone comes in for half a dozen.

Yeah, it really stinks, and yet I could watch it again. One of those movies that was in heavy rotation on cable in the '80s.

"Johnny's mother"? the awesome Maureen Stapleton. Also great as Emma Goldman in Reds.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #151 on: September 01, 2009, 02:14:55 PM »
I liked her in "Interiors."

I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #152 on: September 01, 2009, 04:29:53 PM »

I liked that movie. I know it's like Woody Allen tore the title page off of an unproduced Bergman script and filmed that, but still.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #153 on: September 01, 2009, 05:54:11 PM »

I liked that movie. I know it's like Woody Allen tore the title page off of an unproduced Bergman script and filmed that, but still.

i've always enjoyed Interiors.  of course, i usually enjoy Woody Allen.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #154 on: September 07, 2009, 06:16:29 PM »
I've been on a two-part Shakespeare's king plays made into movies kick lately, watched Branagh's "Henry V" - I didn't get the NC17 rating for gore.  Maybe it just seems quaint 20 years later.

Anyway, it's a fantastic movie.

I also watched "Richard III" with Olivier.  Man that dude could act.  The sets seem a bit comical, but the acting is so powerful it blows it all away.  People (including Olivier) didn't like Ralph Richardson as Buckingham, but I think they missed what he was trying to do.

Now I'm watching "Howard's End."  I'm a sucker for lush English period pieces, but this is my first Merchant-Ivory movie.  Good stuff so far, although it's kind of ruined by the description that Time Warner provides, which only *starts* to occur ONE DAMN HOUR into a two and half hour movie.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #155 on: September 07, 2009, 06:57:34 PM »
I don't know a lot of Merchant-Ivory stuff, but The Remains of the Day is really good.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #156 on: September 07, 2009, 07:03:22 PM »
Yeah, I did see that one in the theaters.

As an American with no manners and no sense of the importance of self-denial or keeping one's place, I was so damn pissed off at that British dude at the end of that movie.

I guess I should check the list of their movies.  Maybe I've seen all of them.

Nope, too lazy.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #157 on: December 19, 2009, 11:11:44 PM »
Watched 8 1/2 for the first time.  Is it too much of a cliche for Marcello Mastroianni to be my favorite actor AND Akira Kurosawa to be my favorite director?  That would have been a really hip pairing of faves in about 1970 - now, it probably seems a bit on the nose.

Nevertheless.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #158 on: December 19, 2009, 11:25:27 PM »
Dear BuffcoaT,

With words like these you capture my heart:American with no manners and no sense of the importance of self-denial or keeping one's place,

Your Secret Admirer
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #159 on: December 20, 2009, 10:44:54 AM »
Watched 8 1/2 for the first time.  Is it too much of a cliche for Marcello Mastroianni to be my favorite actor AND Akira Kurosawa to be my favorite director?  That would have been a really hip pairing of faves in about 1970 - now, it probably seems a bit on the nose.

Nevertheless.

Mastroianni is one of my faves of all time too. He is the perfect cad. If you haven't seen it already check out Divorce Italian Style also starring Loren ... wasn't available for the longest time until Criterion did a gawjus 2 disk package a few years back. He's absolutely hysterical in it.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #160 on: December 20, 2009, 12:51:02 PM »
Today, Fletch Lives!

The exclamation point is part of the title.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #161 on: December 20, 2009, 07:05:51 PM »
Fletch Lives!

I really like the original Fletch.  Maybe it's nostalgia, but I can still quote almost the whole movie from memory.  I like that side of Chevy Chase.  So sue me.

Fletch Lives! has Chevy sometimes being almost as good as the first one, but not nearly enough of the time.  What it really suffers from is "my God this is so bad" editing.  Like they set the schedule and actually forgot to include editing - "Shit! This movie is due tomorrow and all we have is the unconnected scenes!" type editing.

I wonder if Julianne Phillips would have been really, really hot if she hadn't had to cope with the fact that she came onto the scene at the ugliest fashion and hair time in the 20th Century?  I think so.  The 70s get a bad rap - as someone who came of age in the 80s, our styles were so, so much more brutal than mustaches and leisure suits.

Plus, the movie has a plot that really, really doesn't hold together.  Which is funny, because the first one more or less did.

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #162 on: December 20, 2009, 09:50:46 PM »
Death Wish
Death Wish II

Death Wish is okay.

Death Wish II, however, has absolutely no redeeming qualities. 90 minutes of my life that I will never get back.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #163 on: December 21, 2009, 12:08:41 AM »
I tried re-watching 8 1/2 last night but fell asleep.  I love the movie (I own the DVD), but I was sleepy.

Just saw His Girl Friday at The Brooklyn Academy of Music.  Great movie but Cary Grant is a total sociopath in it.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #164 on: February 28, 2010, 10:09:13 PM »
3:10 to Yuma, original version.  Good, a lot like High Noon, which is maybe better.  But Glen Ford as a bad guy was awesome.