Author Topic: Sunday good movie bi-fecta  (Read 38251 times)

Bryan

• Space Champion!
Re: Sunday good movie bi-fecta
« Reply #165 on: March 01, 2010, 08:32:46 AM »
The Narrow Margin: I can't believe I haven't gotten around to this movie until now. Lean and mean - only 72 minutes long. I really, really like that in a movie.

To Be or Not To Be: Another one that I've been meaning to watch for a decade or so. Genuinely funny and daring. And what's more, it seems as though it was one of the chief influences for Inglourious Basterds! The whole movie theater/visiting Nazi dignitaries plot is basically lifted from this one.

Sometimes I feel like I've watched all the great classic Hollywood films, so to see two amazing ones in the same weekend makes me very happy.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #166 on: March 01, 2010, 09:09:33 AM »
To Be or Not To Be: Another one that I've been meaning to watch for a decade or so. Genuinely funny and daring. And what's more, it seems as though it was one of the chief influences for Inglourious Basterds! The whole movie theater/visiting Nazi dignitaries plot is basically lifted from this one.

To Be or Not to Be is one of my favorite films of the 40s.  Not only is it still funny but it might be the most suspenseful comedy I've ever seen. 

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #167 on: March 01, 2010, 09:24:18 AM »
I watched "To Be or Not to Be" recently also--I think there's going to be a resurgence based on its being on Netflix streaming.

This weekend I watched actual physical DVDs--how quaint--of A Serious Man and Philadelphia Story.  Both great.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #168 on: March 01, 2010, 09:59:00 AM »
I also watched The Philadelphia Story this weekend! What are the odds.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #169 on: March 01, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »
I also watched The Philadelphia Story this weekend! What are the odds.

It was playing when I turned on TCM on Sunday.

Mods (?), please change thread title to "Weekend Philadelphia Story tri-fecta."

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #170 on: March 01, 2010, 11:24:33 AM »
The Philadelphia Story and Bringing Up Baby were two delightful surprises in the AFI Top 100 list, as 2001 and Raging Bull were major disappointments.

I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #171 on: February 25, 2017, 10:09:39 PM »
This was a Friday night/Saturday night bi-fecta, but you know.

I watched *Burden of Dreams* last night. That was really good. I have to imagine it was significantly better than Fitzcarraldo. I still want Werner Herzog to narrate my life as I go about my daily schedule:

"Ze man zey call buffcoat lazsilly pedals his bicykle arount zees streetss. He appearss to haf novere to go and nothink vaiting for him. It iss a ssad commentt on hees ssad reality."

You couldn't make a movie the way he did nowadays. That goes without saying. I want to watch "My Best Fiend" for even more crazy Klaus Kinski.

Tonight I finished *McCabe and Mrs. Miller,* which I'd watched half an hour of in October (my life has gotten complicated, not in a bad way).

A great movie, and definitely my favorite Robert Altman movie so far. Although *The Long Goodbye* was also very good. This one was super sad and super realistic. The Tribune Rating Service gave it three out of four stars and those people are idiots.

I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!