Author Topic: Sunday good movie bi-fecta  (Read 38252 times)

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
Sunday good movie bi-fecta
« on: September 14, 2008, 09:40:02 PM »
Zodiac on DVR and Vicky Cristina Barcelona in the theater.

Both good for different reasons.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Fido

• Space Champion!
Re: Sunday good movie bi-fecta
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 11:29:40 PM »
Agreed on Vicky Cristina Barcelona. Great cast, liked the characters and thought it rated pretty average among Woody Allen's movies, which is to say pretty well overall.

Undeterred by mediocre to poor reviews of Burn After Reading, saw it today and thought it was pretty good as well. Not among the Coen Bros.' best films, but well worthwhile.

I was thinking of that Best Show episode several years ago where Tom and guests ranked the Coen Brothers movies from best to worst, and I was thinking I'd put this one somewhere in the middle. Again, meaning it's pretty good fare. Curious to see what others think (maybe there's another thread somewhere about this already).

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 10:17:01 AM »
My Sunday good movie bi-fecta (last week) was Hamlet 2 and The Wrestler at the Toronto Film Fest. Both terrific. I'm so glad to see Mickey Rourke in fightin' shape again.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 11:02:40 AM »
I'm very excited about The Wrestler. Just got word that it's being distributed in Sweden, so hooray etc.

My Sunday movie bi-fecta was Elegy and the documentary Bigger Faster Stronger. I'm Never Not Eclectic. Repulsive, compulsive, tedious, baffling, fascinating, lacking - that goes for both of them!

theyellowchair

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 09:59:44 AM »
Agreed on Vicky Cristina Barcelona. Great cast, liked the characters and thought it rated pretty average among Woody Allen's movies, which is to say pretty well overall.

Undeterred by mediocre to poor reviews of Burn After Reading, saw it today and thought it was pretty good as well. Not among the Coen Bros.' best films, but well worthwhile.

I was thinking of that Best Show episode several years ago where Tom and guests ranked the Coen Brothers movies from best to worst, and I was thinking I'd put this one somewhere in the middle. Again, meaning it's pretty good fare. Curious to see what others think (maybe there's another thread somewhere about this already).

I found Burn After Reading surprisingly engaging, completely dispelling those negative reviews. Their use of that ridiculous Vantage Point/mystery-technological-espionage-thriller formula as a means to crafting a slick commentary on conspicuous consumerism and the Great American Perspective was great, and I found myself laughing more in my head than out loud. I won't ruin anything, but that final scene with J. K. Simmons made me laffffffff.

Almost made me forgive him for Juno.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 01:23:07 PM »
My Sunday movie bi-fecta:

Burn After Reading in the theater.

The Passion of Joan of Arc at home.

And then the lights went out.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Pat K

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 01:53:17 PM »
I won't ruin anything, but that final scene with J. K. Simmons made me laffffffff.

Yeah, that was definitely one of his finest moments.

My weekend bifecta was Burn After Reading on Friday night and Frozen River on Saturday afternoon. I thought Burn After Reading was OK - not Raising Arizona-caliber Coen comedy, but nowhere near as bad as Intolerable Cruelty or The Ladykillers. Frozen River, on the other hand, was amazing.
I'm warning you with peace and love.

jamesp

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 05:28:43 PM »
I'm very excited about The Wrestler. Just got word that it's being distributed in Sweden, so hooray etc.

My Sunday movie bi-fecta was Elegy and the documentary Bigger Faster Stronger. I'm Never Not Eclectic. Repulsive, compulsive, tedious, baffling, fascinating, lacking - that goes for both of them!

I saw Bigger, Stronger, Faster last month and really liked it. I was surprised how many big name people that they interviewed for it.

Phantom Hugger

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 11:37:29 PM »
Go see Burn After Reading.

I'll go out on a limb and say it had one Hitchcock moment of brilliance that turned the whole thing around for me. It started OK, but then turned into a great movie. Laugh after viewing.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 08:37:31 PM »
I did this again: this time it was the happy Sunday movies, Sophie's Choice and Taxi Driver.

I see what all the Meryl Streep hype from the early 80s was about - the woman can fucking do accents.

I liked Taxi Driver, which is good because I hated Raging Bull with a passion and Scorsese is a director I like more often than not.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 08:53:37 PM »
Re-watched A History of Violence last night and watched Sexy Beast today. Kind of a reluctant gangster-movie bifecta kinda sorta?
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

chrisfoll577

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 09:07:02 PM »
I finally caught Burn After Reading today, and though it might not rank with the Coens' best movies, I believe it was seriously underrated by the critics.  Like Phantom Hugger wrote, it suddenly shifted from okay to brilliant and gets even funnier as you're discussing it afterwards at dinner.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 03:50:46 AM »
I watched The Rocker, and it was pretty bad. Rainn Wilson = not a star.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 10:18:15 AM »
Go see Burn After Reading.

I'll go out on a limb and say it had one Hitchcock moment of brilliance that turned the whole thing around for me. It started OK, but then turned into a great movie. Laugh after viewing.

Just curious about the Hitchcock moment of brilliance you're thinking of? The incident with Brad Pitt hiding in the closet?

I liked that movie too, but had read your comment before seeing it, and was watching for the "Hitchcock moment" all the way through.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 12:03:27 PM »
i had plans to watch Science of Sleep but i feel like i know what's going to happen already. 

there's always next weekend.

PS i did get a text about st. anna...anybody seen this yet?