Author Topic: Sunday good movie bi-fecta  (Read 38247 times)

namethebats

• Achilles bursitis
Re: Sunday good movie bi-fecta
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 03:03:09 PM »
Taxi to the Dark Side and the first hour of On The Waterfront (the DVD froze up). A uni and a half-fecta?

Taxi to the Dark Side did a good job shifting back and forth between the individual case and the larger issue of torture. I'll try to get a better copy of On The Waterfront - I think season 2 of The Wire biased me towards stories about dockworkers.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2008, 08:40:44 PM »
My Sunday movie single-fecta was "The Cell."  I liked it.  Some suit must have been a little crazy to say "Hey, I liked that 'Losing My Religion' video so much I want to see a whole movie of it."

J. Lo and Vince Vaughn aren't Oscar worthy, but they aren't cringe-worthy, either.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

samir

• Space Champion!
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2008, 08:46:10 PM »
Have you seen 'the fall', buffers?

same director, more colourful, supposedly.
i'm yet to catch it.

and yes, everyone is allowed one (1) mark e. smith joke.
"Son, there's a thin line between crazed and rabid"

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2008, 09:08:03 PM »

i'm yet to catch it.

No, I haven't seen that one.  I'll try to catch it.  Is "The Gull" next, or perhaps "The Pill?"
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Beth

• Space Champion!
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2008, 09:23:31 PM »
My Sunday movie single-fecta was "The Cell."  I liked it.  Some suit must have been a little crazy to say "Hey, I liked that 'Losing My Religion' video so much I want to see a whole movie of it."

J. Lo and Vince Vaughn aren't Oscar worthy, but they aren't cringe-worthy, either.

I like that movie too.

I watched I Know Who Killed Me and The Aviator last night.

Aviator gets a  thumbs up, minus the stupid celebrity cameos (Rufus Wainwright was relatively low key and sounded nice at least, but Gwen Stefani as Jean Harlow was incredibly annoying and unbelievable). I was fine with most of the acting. Cate Blanchett always makes me cringe when she tries to play famous people (as Katherine Hepburn in this movie, and as Bob Dylan in I'm Not There) but I warmed up to her by the end. Leonardo DiCaprio was really good. It's gotten to a point where I'll see any movie he's in these days.

I Know Who Killed Me was  a surprisingly tolerable cheese-fest with a dumb ending. It was heavily stylized, though, which at least gave me something to look at. It kind of emulated lots of the 70's bad-but-pretty horror flicks that Dario Argento made--which I have always enjoyed shamelessly. I'd watch it again. I was especially entertained by the part where Lindsay Lohan's character gets beat down with her own fake leg.

Also, the DVD special features contain an "Extended Strip Dance" I didn't watch that, but I did check out the awkward blooper reel.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2008, 09:38:26 PM »

i'm yet to catch it.

I didn't think Tarsem would ever be worth paying attention to, since I don't like that R.E.M. video and heard he was essentially a rip-off artist, but I really liked The Fall.   I can't see why it didn't get at least get the acclaim/hype Pan's Labyrinth did, since I think it's a better and more imaginative film, and almost as "dark."  Plenty of amazing location shots, at least, and there's a surprisingly effective tribute to early cinema toward the end.  

Sorry, I couldn't think of a good Mark E. Smith joke.  Maybe it'll come later. 

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2008, 03:34:50 AM »
I remember hating The Cell.

I watched not two, not three, not four, but five movies yesterday (a what-fecta?). It was one of those perfect movie-watching days: pouring rain, Sunday, no plans. Still, I wasn't in the mood for heavy-duty filmmaking so I watched a bunch of mainstream fluff:

Journey to the Center of the Earth
Pineapple Express
The Spiderwick Chronicles
Kung Fu Panda      
Definitely Maybe

I thought Spiderwick had some charm to it (get it?), but I was pretty lukewarm on the rest of them.

courtney

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2008, 09:41:45 AM »
I Know Who Killed Me was  a surprisingly tolerable cheese-fest with a dumb ending. It was heavily stylized, though, which at least gave me something to look at. It kind of emulated lots of the 70's bad-but-pretty horror flicks that Dario Argento made--which I have always enjoyed shamelessly. I'd watch it again. I was especially entertained by the part where Lindsay Lohan's character gets beat down with her own fake leg.

That one's in the, like, top 5 of my "Unintentionally funny" list! I saw that with a friend last year and we were laughing out loud at it as much as, if not more than if it had been an actual comedy. Thumbs up!

samir

• Space Champion!
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2008, 09:49:15 AM »
I watched not two, not three, not four, but five movies yesterday (a what-fecta?).

Pentafecta?

Had you not seen Kung Fu Panda yet? I remember you mentioning it awhile back, maybe that was just because you were writing about it.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2008, 10:22:55 AM »
Leonardo DiCaprio was really good. It's gotten to a point where I'll see any movie he's in these days.

Yeah, me too. It kind of snuck up on me. Matt Damon, too. Weird, huh?

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2008, 10:43:50 AM »
I watched not two, not three, not four, but five movies yesterday (a what-fecta?).

Pentafecta?

Had you not seen Kung Fu Panda yet? I remember you mentioning it awhile back, maybe that was just because you were writing about it.

Yeah I was just writing about the genre, never got around to watching the actual film.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2008, 12:27:24 PM »
i watched Eagle V Shark, Made of Honor, and Kindergarden Cop.

i enjoyed an insanely fun Friday-Saturday evening.  it was a Sunday for rest.

samir

• Space Champion!
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2008, 12:41:42 PM »

I saw Eagle v. Shark and thought it was a bag of shit.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2008, 12:48:24 PM »

I saw Eagle v. Shark and thought it was a bag of shit.

i vaguely remember reading this (yes, i do read your blog) and it was pretty empty.  unfortunately. 

Sarah

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2008, 11:42:39 AM »
I think "bag of shit" gives it too much importance, aside from being too harsh.  It was more a bag of stale muffins that weren't very good to begin with.