Author Topic: LP Collectors- I need a quote!  (Read 2676 times)

Gilly

• Space Champion!
LP Collectors- I need a quote!
« on: September 30, 2008, 04:36:53 PM »
I was digging through the bins at Cheapo Records today and found a copy of a Rocket From the Tombs album- Life Stinks. I picked it up because it was Rocket From the Tombs but when looking at it I realized it was numbered 528/600. I was going to buy it anyway, but that brought me to cash register with my 4 bucks in hand. It was made in 1990 and is a comp of live radio broadcasts. Google tells me this is a tough record to find, but I can't find how much this thing is actually worth. Does anybody have a guess?

Pride of Staten Island

• Achilles bursitis
Re: LP Collectors- I need a quote!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 05:26:57 PM »
I'll give you $5 for it. That's a $1 profit!

It's probably worth a bundle. I'm not sure how much of this material was released of the "The Day the Earth Met Rocket From the Tombs" CD but it would probably increase or decrease in value according to the amount of exclusive material. However, even if the entirety of it was reissued it's rarity and bootleg status would be make it desirable to collectors.

I've never seen it for sale before but I'm going to guess anywhere between $30 and $100.

Just don't try and sell it on eBay. I heard a while back that David Thomas was issuing cease and desists to anyone who would try and auction a copy of "Life Stinks," his point being that it an a illegal copy of "stolen" intellectual property. This was a while ago though so maybe MP3 proliferation has mellowed his viewpoint.
The only Wire I care about is the one that recorded Pink Flag.

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 05:46:29 PM »
I finally tracked down a forum where somebody mentioned it going for 150 bucks on Ebay but now I don't see any available (Could be because most of the copies are now in hands of people not willing to sell which might bring the price up). Where do you think I should sell it?

I like Rockets From the Tombs well enough, their 2001 tour was one of the best shows I've ever been to, but I'm not a collector so I think this record would mean more to somebody else and I need money more than a collectible record.

<<<<<

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 12:52:51 AM »
God Bless Cheapo.

Emily

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 01:46:23 AM »
OMG that rekkid is worth a four million smack-a-roos!!!!!*

*jk i have no idea!

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 03:00:44 AM »
God Bless Cheapo.

I'm so used to seeing overpriced used records there and paying for some of them. I can't believe they overlooked this one!

<<<<<

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 07:25:47 PM »
They handle high volumes of stuff though.  In all the hours I've spent there, I never find specifically what I'm looking for, but find other things instead.  Always worth spending the time.

All in all, Minneapolis is a better town for record shopping than Seattle, imo (or maybe I just know my way around Mpls' stores better). 

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 08:22:09 PM »
Do you ever go to the KFAI Record Show? You can really build up a collection there on the cheap if you're only looking for stuff you like and not rarities. My favorite Cheapo for records is the St. Paul Snelling location. I know Uptown is always considered the best, but I've found much more at the Snelling store at better prices.

<<<<<

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 11:18:16 PM »
Nope, hard to say if they were even doing it back when I lived there (many years ago).

I agree that the Snelling spot is a hidden gem.  For some reason, the quality of incoming stuff was inexplicably just as good, but it seemed a little less picked over by "people with taste" as is Uptown.  At least, that was always how it felt to me.

And that's excluding entirely the array of quality small record stores in town.  Oarfolk/Treehouse is a fantastic record store.

Jason

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 01:27:15 PM »
popsike.com

Amplituden

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 02:43:24 PM »
I found one.

Some men worship rank, some worship heroes, some worship power, some worship God, & over these ideals they dispute & cannot unite--but they all worship money.
- Mark Twain's Notebook
A poor man's Bronson Pinchot.

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 03:37:50 PM »
popsike.com

Thanks for that link. I don't see it on there but it might be a good place to sell it once I find out how much it's actually worth. I might just take it to a show and see if somebody wants to trade.

Jason

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 05:16:27 PM »
That place just lists the highest amounts that records have gotten on ebay, they don't sell stuff. I always check my thrift store and yard sale scores there just in case.

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 06:12:54 PM »
Oh ok. I guess I'll try registering on some vinyl forums to figure this one out. Either nobody's getting rid of this album anymore or David Thomas is still sending those cease and desist orders out. That would be funny if he consistently checks online marketplaces to see if bootlegs of his old band are being sold.