Author Topic: Wisdom Teeth Extraction  (Read 7535 times)

Martin

• Space Champion!
Re: Wisdom Teeth Extraction
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 09:01:09 AM »
0 teeth removed + no braces = loser

courtney

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 09:01:48 AM »
I guess it depends on the method of their removal. I've really only heard the horror stories from people who needed (or chose) to be knocked out to have their wisdom teeth removed. I got my bottom 2 removed last year. They had been fully in and acting as "normal" teeth for years, I just hadn't had any insurance so I had to suffer through them. I had braces for 3 years and the wisdom teeth being in un-did some of that perfect teeth work (a few are crooked again), but ... ah well I thought. Then the pain came. The obvious, I-have-a-cavity pain. Did that for about a year then finally got free insurance through my job. I'm cheap, so I opted for being awake and numbed like mad. They "sedated me" but the pill only worked for about 30 minutes and I was told to take it an hour before leaving to get the procedure. So I was terrified. But in the end, they came out. They gave me hydrocodone but I never needed it. I discovered the power of 4 ibuprofen. And what is now being called "Gentle Dentistry". They're made for complete dentist-phobes like me.

The majority of my braces experience (sadistic hygienists) causes me to have mild-panic attacks before going to even get my teeth cleaned. So I would agree with whoever said braces are worse.

I had to cut my hours a work so I could go back to school so I lost my insurance ... Now my top wisdom teeth are coming in ... Awesome.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 09:18:16 AM »
Don't forget the cutting...

and the sawing...

and the cutting...

and the sawing...

It took them nearly 4 hours to remove my 4 wisdom teeth, in 1974. I am pretty sure at some point they used a tab from a pull-top aluminum can, an ice pick, and a rusty table saw.

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 09:54:17 AM »
Yeah if they haven't grown in yet, you're basically having them dig and detach tiny pieces of bone from under your gums.

I had 3 years of braces, other teeth extractions and a palatal expander. None of them came close to the wisdom teeth hell. I was laid up for 2 weeks.
from the land of pleasant living

Spoony

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2008, 10:01:36 AM »
I need to get more oral moral surgery so I can eat it forever.
There we go.

I'm getting on in my 30's and I still have all my wisdom teeth. Too bad they hurt like hell and it feels like I'm teething on some days. I need insurance.

I've had a ton of oral surgery in my teens. I'd get a tooth knocked out, have it replaced, then have that one banged up again. Now I live in fear of Novocaine. Once you've had your mouth disassembled on local anesthetic, you hesitate to do it again.

C

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 10:52:08 AM »
Once you've had your mouth disassembled on local anesthetic, you hesitate to do it again.

Yes. Having my wisdom teeth removed put me off dentistry for about 6 years. I wish I'd been put under. It was the sounds of my bones cracking & crunching that really upset me.

Julie

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2008, 10:59:56 AM »
Once you've had your mouth disassembled on local anesthetic, you hesitate to do it again.

Yes. Having my wisdom teeth removed put me off dentistry for about 6 years. I wish I'd been put under. It was the sounds of my bones cracking & crunching that really upset me.

I had one of my wisdom teeth pulled and that sound is worse than the pain.
I have a long history of booing

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 11:02:28 AM »
0 teeth removed + no braces = loser

same here.

Sarah

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 04:51:47 PM »
One of my sisters had all four removed at once and had a fairly hellish time afterward.  I, on the other hand, had them removed in two at a time (right side and then left).  The worst thing was the smell of burning bone from the drilling, but that was merely creepy.  Neither extraction hurt much, and recovery was pretty breezy, too.  So, at the least, be assured that it need not be a big deal. 

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2008, 05:23:00 PM »
I had the left side done, then all the staff at my dentist's office left for some reason and I had to have the other side done by this Doogie Howser kid who looked about 15 years old.  The first two were totally smooth and painless, but the later two - at one point, I think the kid had one of his feet up against my head while he yanked against the tooth with both hands.  To be fair, I think the right side were way more impacted - he showed me the root of my lower right wisdom tooth, and it was curved like a fish-hook - but he still left a lot to be desired in terms of chair-side manner.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2008, 05:52:20 PM »
i have no doubt that i have wisdom teeth that need to be removed, but i refuse to acknowledge that they will do any harm if they remain in my head. 

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2008, 06:53:48 PM »

Yeah, I'm bragging.  8 teeth removed + braces = better than

No way, how about no braces, two teeth removed, and the rest are crooked as shit.  Gives 'em character.

Cotton

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2008, 10:32:50 PM »
I got mine out on my last spring break of high school. My parents went to Miami for a week and I was trapped in their suburban home with little to do but wince. I had "dry rot" (a worse sounding term I cannot imagine) from smoking cigarettes and spend the rest of my recuperation taking vicodin. People kept bringing me cheeseburgers for some reason and since I had no appetite, I'd just feed them whole to my dog. I got better eventually, and when my parents came home they noticed Domino had gained like 20 lbs. Oh well, at least it was fun for somebody.

moral: don't smoke.

Emily

• Space Champion!
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2008, 01:48:02 AM »
I haven't even got my wisdom teeth yet - still waiting for them to descend!  xxx fingers xxx

AllisonLeGnome

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2008, 02:16:02 AM »
I have been informed that, logically, the bit of tooth I can feel behind my last molar is indeed a wisdom tooth coming in. Luckily, it's one of the straight ones. Unfortunately, that means that I will probably have to get them all removed soon.