Author Topic: Question that's likely been asked before  (Read 4559 times)

around the bend

• Policemans heel
Question that's likely been asked before
« on: October 08, 2008, 04:25:00 PM »
Hi Tom

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I'm not very good at message board technology and navigation.

Why are you not allowed to discuss Monk and your comedy CDs on the air?  Is that some sort of self-imposed rule, or is it a legal thing?

Thank you for tirelessly doing the Best Show.  It really is a nice show to listen to.  Also, watch out for the Portland Trailblazers this year.  I went to an exhibition game last night and it was some enjoyable basketball to watch, particularly Rudy Fernandez, the Spanish rookie.

Thanks again

Gibby

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Question that's likely been asked before
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 04:45:13 PM »
That's the other T. Scharpling. Tom here works in a cardboard factory.

No, it's a conflict of interest, would probably violate some FCC thing.
"How do they see you when there's no light?"

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 09:58:42 PM »
I just figured it ruins the fun not to try to preserve the illusion.
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.

Gibby

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 10:28:31 AM »
I was thinking on this some more. I imagine it's like when Paul Newman would be down the racetrack, I bet he didn't want anyone coming up asking about The Hustler, as good as it is.
"How do they see you when there's no light?"

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 05:56:12 PM »
Colin's right, because from what other people have said, not talking about Monk is not off limits on other FMU shows.

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 10:19:16 PM »
This is a good question and one I've never answered definitively, I realize.

I don't talk about Monk because it's boring to talk about ultimately. The show would be a mess if it was me answering questions about my day job. And there IS a line that we are supposed to be on as broadcasters on a listener sponsored station - you are not supposed to use your show as a vehicle to promote things that you are involved in outside the station. Maybe I am too cautious as far as this goes, but it's a line that I'm comfortable with. And while it is the best job I have ever had and will probably ever have, it is still a job, and the radio show is a respite from my job.

The CD's fall under the 'don't promote things' banner. While we struggle to squeeze out any sort of profit with them - which we always channel back into the next CD, by the way - I do not think that the show should be a means to promoting CDs that we in theory are making money on. Even though we have never bought a candy bar with the profits from sales of the CDs. People find the info they need for the CDs on the web, over at the Stereolaffs site.

Tom.

around the bend

• Policemans heel
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 06:51:33 PM »
Ok.  That makes a lot of sense.  Thanks very much.