Author Topic: Your favourite movie set in Jersey  (Read 11435 times)

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
Re: Your favourite movie set in Jersey
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2009, 03:40:08 PM »
I gotta go with "The Wrestler". ACME stores, Jersey All Pro Wrestling... and if imdb is anything to go by, shot in Asbury Park, Clifton, Dover, Elizabeth, Garfield, Hasbrouck Heights, Rahway... and Philadelphia.

And AP_Mike's grocery.

A.M. Thomas

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2009, 06:04:16 PM »
I gotta go with "The Wrestler". ACME stores, Jersey All Pro Wrestling... and if imdb is anything to go by, shot in Asbury Park, Clifton, Dover, Elizabeth, Garfield, Hasbrouck Heights, Rahway... and Philadelphia.

The vintage store they go to in Elizabeth, called "Vintage Mode," is great!  I tutor about a block away from there and check in occasionally.  They have a lot of cool cowboy boots.

I asked the owner about them filming in his store, but he didn't have a lot to say.  In fact, I don't think he really cared at all.  It was really surprising to see a place so familiar pop up in a film unexpectedly, though.

I'm not a chicken,  you're a turkey.

Jack

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2009, 09:39:08 PM »
PENN SAYS:
the wrestler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQkneObQRkQ

How high is this guy?

Regular Joe

• Space Champion!
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2009, 02:34:36 PM »
How high is this guy?

I say very, very high.

But he's right about The Wrestler. I saw it over a month ago and it's still with me (beyond the facts of Tomei boobies and Mike's grocery store). I know it's stupid but I keep coming back to the last scene. Did he wrestle himself to death or not?! I need to watch it again to make my choice.

Jack

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2009, 09:15:25 PM »
yeah, totally perfect ending.  I guess its the ambiguity thats adds to the art of the thing. 
So I saw the wrestler this past weekend now that its out in megaplexes.  Not that I necessarily prefer an arthouse audience, but it seemed a percentage of the audience seemed to expect a typical action flick.  So the fade to black ending left some audibly disappointed.  ("thats it?!?!").  Not sure what they expected.

And actually, I mostly agree with everything Penn says, but the stream of consciousness and in the in-your-faceness of him running his hands through his locks was worth sharing.

mcphee from the forum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2009, 12:22:50 AM »
Two-way tie between Harold & Kumar and The King of Marvin Gardens
My mommy made me boots.