Author Topic: Toyota/Mylanta/Gondola imbecile  (Read 22126 times)

emma

Re: Toyota/Mylanta/Gondola imbecile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2008, 11:37:16 PM »
I read approximately 20 seconds of this thread, can someone summarize it for me?

Kim Kelly

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2008, 11:38:35 PM »
I wish I could, emma. I'm speechless.
Too soon?

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2008, 11:41:50 PM »
Will "Yum-Yum" F. Bukkleigh

You might give Spike a run for the money.

Send in your application quickly!

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2008, 11:52:54 PM »
Mo Primo, I think you'd have more success at making your points if your posts were longer.  I'd say shoot for 3 or 4 times as long to start, and then move upwards from there.  I think a minimum of 3000 words would guarantee that you'd be taken very seriously.

Thanks,
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

cutout

• Space Champion!
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2008, 11:54:19 PM »
I think what Dubner's written on the subject is interesting and I do think it's unfortunate that certain parents potentially jeopardize their children's (and their own) dignity by assigning really stupid names. I don't feel particularly racist for saying so, and neither should you.

At the same time, I'm not sure why you're grinding the axe so loudly. I can't remember the original call very well, but I think Tom insinuated the guy was a "crypto-racist" or something. If you've heard the show more than once, you'll know that's half the joke - Tom always pretends to interpret comments as infuriating or offensive just so he can give them a heave-ho. Most of the radio show is hinged on this idea. The number of callers who's been jokingly characterized as racists is endless. So if you started this discussion in total sincerity, I can kind of appreciate where you're coming from, but I think you're misunderstanding Tom's response.

todd

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 01:00:25 AM »
a white person posts like this, but a black person posts like THIS, and mo primo posts like shit

Mo Primo

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2008, 01:19:19 AM »
Cutout, I hugely appreciate your Smooth 'N' Mild responses, but showing this kind of patience and willingness to engage in dialogue is seriously going to endanger my dreams of being permaGOMP'd from the FOTrums and The Best Show as a whole.

Shall we summon The Great Crotchety One to arbitrate? I mean, not that each one of you who have responded didn't "bring the crotch," as the kids say, but I'm thinking that this mess requires no less than the presence of Poppa T.

todd

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2008, 02:37:10 AM »
Cutout, I hugely appreciate your Smooth 'N' Mild responses, but showing this kind of patience and willingness to engage in dialogue is seriously going to endanger my dreams of being permaGOMP'd from the FOTrums and The Best Show as a whole.

Shall we summon The Great Crotchety One to arbitrate? I mean, not that each one of you who have responded didn't "bring the crotch," as the kids say, but I'm thinking that this mess requires no less than the presence of Poppa T.

"Smooth 'N' Mild responses?"
"permaGOMP'd"
"FOTrums"

It's not quite Spikese, but it's really really close, and really really annoying.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2008, 03:04:52 AM »
I read approximately 20 seconds of this thread, can someone summarize it for me?

It's the best thread ever?

I don't know about you but

Regular Joe

• Space Champion!
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2008, 05:46:50 AM »

I was all ready to reason with you, then I read this. How many times do you go back through your post and change your verbiage in an attempt to "funny it up"? I bet a lot. I also get the impression you are a white male who gets frustrated with black culture for reasons that have no impact on you personally, which does indeed makes you at least a little racist, regardless of this unrelated liberalism you proclaim. These are just tentative guesses however, not judgments.

Now my only halfway reasonable answer to your query is that names are as individualistic as any other outward attributes we assign to ourselves and our children, like haircuts or clothing. In that, it's something completely harmless and well intentioned that you really can't do much about, nor should you. Besides that, it's beyond none of your business what names people find worthy of embodiment, particularly if you aren't a part of the culture that doesn't have any problem with it at all. If you don't like it, you can go name your kid Bill and eat a bologna sandwich on a porch with it. In short: I may not like the purple satin drapes in your mom's house, but that doesn't mean I won't wipe off on them after sodomizing her, before sodomizing you, after you have both been beaten senseless by Trembling Eagle, while Jason watches all of it and writes a play about it. Because I have respect for your culture.

Now, if you were 100% kidding about all the things you said, then I have to agree with whoever said that this is just a tired, worn-out joke, which is no longer acceptable as "humor" for those reasons, so why hammer it home. Honestly, it never really was any good, aside from the 2 months in 1989 when the first woman named her baby Mylanta and comedians could get away with it for a brief moment before it became even more cliche than your resume.

Do take note; I made this post really long, even longer than my other long boring posts, to let you know what it feels like to read your own long, cringeworthy posts on this thread. You could learn a lot from some of the other weirdos who've become beloved around here, just clean it up a little bit, realize when you are bordering on hacky and tone it down some. Either that or just go ahead and push the arrow through and hope nobody dies from the blood loss.

What with the giant truck nuts on you, you could soon become someone I want to read more posts from! Right now, I don't like your tone. That's straight from the horses mouth (me being the horse in that scenario).

PS: I just looked at those articles that you posted, and am not surprised to find that one was basically just an opinion piece authored by some white guy (imagine that!), and the second was just an explanation that the story about the judge jailing a woman over naming her baby was a myth. Did you even read past the headlines?

The sole point made in the first article is based on a study that very bluntly decided sounding black on the telephone is a professional hindrance. This study had nothing to do with their names, or anything of the sort. Even though that study made a point I would not disagree with, it's a huge stretch to rope that guys call last week into this not even 'crypto' racist argument. J'accuse, sir, of posting nonsense articles to make your white supremacist point. For shame. I dare you to post a .jpg of yourself in your full KKK regalia and have done with it.

Mo Primo

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2008, 08:10:08 AM »
 :D As I sit on mein kampfy sofa on the porch, chatting with David Duke and sipping Truly Fair Trade coffee (harvested by an elite cadre of genetically engineered super-slaves and fertilized with the ground up flesh and bones of my mud-race enemies) waving heil to Caucasian passers-by only, I fiendishly giggle at the thought of my underlings in the Bureau of Misinformation and the Department of False Satire churning out op-ed after op-ed which only appear to attack things which don't make sense but whose real purpose is to completely demoralize the untermenschen who stand in my way.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2008, 08:17:46 AM »
That sentence is clearly not long enough.

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2008, 08:36:48 AM »
and FOTchan was bad?
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

Mo Primo

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2008, 08:38:49 AM »
Don't you see? I'm trying to be like David Foster Wallace, only more racially pure.  :D

Sarah

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2008, 08:48:36 AM »
and FOTchan was bad?

No. And in all its incarnations, past and present, people rise to bait far less hastily.