Author Topic: What magazines do you read?  (Read 11472 times)

Fido

• Space Champion!
Re: What magazines do you read?
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2008, 10:29:58 PM »
Wow, pretty highbrow stuff. Except for Entertainment Weekly, but it's all good. God knows I have my own vices too. No, not Vice magazine!

The New Yorker
Smithsonian
Forbes

(I swear I'm gonna kill that one and subscribe to some business magazine that isn't offensive.)
Also: graphic design magazines, which are my Vices

I like to pick up The Atlantic from the newsstand when I travel, which is ridiculous, since it would be more sensible to just subscribe.

Yer Fedge

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2008, 10:53:38 PM »
I like the music mag Big Takeover. They have tons of reviews, which I scour each issue for stuff I haven't heard about. Sure, they're a little bit behind the curve compared to blogs and other online music sites, but they're also less pretentious.

I also subscribe to Tape Op, but mostly because it's free.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 12:17:05 AM »
Yeti and Stop Smiling are good magazines -- I like the books Yeti publishes too.  n+1 is also pretty good.

Harper's is the only magazine I read cover-to-cover (except for the Lewis Lapham piece, which seems to have been the same article since 1997, with some minor changes).

I usually flip through The New Yorker, The NYT (both my wife's subscriptions), BOMB, American Theater, and The New York Observer (free subscription).  On rare occasions I've been known to flip through The Atlantic, The Nation, New York, Viorety, EW, The Comics Journal, and Wizard. 
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

joshua

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2008, 02:38:28 AM »
I just have a subscription to Seed. Its sciencey, but not like those popular science, discovery etc. mags.
PlasticWig on twitter.

Gibby

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2008, 03:37:26 AM »
When Saturday Comes (soccer)
Viz (puerile satire)
Private Eye (middlebrow satire)
Sight and Sound (film)

I read most of them at the news-stand in as much time as I have until someone shouts at me.
"How do they see you when there's no light?"

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2008, 10:49:59 AM »
i subscribe to death+taxes and readymade.

otherwise, i buy what catches my eye.

Big Plastic Head

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2008, 12:40:33 PM »
National Geo. is a staple for me. I grew up with it. When I went to college we rented a house from a family whose elderly mother had recently moved out of. She was about 80 years old and had been a school teacher. In the house, there were three large cabinets at the top of the stairs and they were filled with nearly every issue from the late thirties to the mid-eighties. I spent countless hours going through the old ones. Some really great stuff.

I subscribe to The Believer as well but that is it as far as subscriptions. If I am traveling I'll grab a Harper's or an Economist from the news stand.
Congratulations. You are now a mouse cursor inside a graphics program that the client can control by speaking, emailing and instant messaging.

samir

• Space Champion!
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2008, 05:23:42 PM »
Private Eye (middlebrow satire)

I'm sad my weekly Hislop fix is about to dry out, since we're getting close to the end of the series of HIGNFY.

And I read Rolling Stone, sometimes.
"Son, there's a thin line between crazed and rabid"

Dennis

• Policemans heel
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2008, 06:30:11 PM »
Big Takeover
Harper's
When Saturday Comes
Slam

Phantom Hugger

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2008, 06:33:52 PM »
Magazines that I've renewed my subscriptions to....

Skeptic
Seed
Terrorizer
Rue Morgue

some of these won't get you too far in life, but it's just my list.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2008, 07:20:03 PM »
Oh, yeah, I had a subscription to RS that just wouldn't die (some kind of free offer that kept renewing itself despute my best efforts), and I would read most of each issue, but now that it's finally ended I don't really miss it.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Scot

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2008, 07:32:59 PM »
there have only been a couple of issues, but z gun is pretty terrific.

Beth

• Space Champion!
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2008, 08:38:42 PM »
Basic stuff

Bitch
Fader
Wire
Wired
The New Yorker

And sometimes I pick up Gothic Beauty in Borders, because I like the fashion spreads. I have a penchant for Renaissance and pinup fashion. Don't judge.

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2008, 10:39:02 PM »
Oh, yeah, I had a subscription to RS that just wouldn't die (some kind of free offer that kept renewing itself despute my best efforts), and I would read most of each issue, but now that it's finally ended I don't really miss it.

That's what's happened to me with Forbes. It WILL NOT DIE. I'd be less bothered if it were RS.

Regular Joe

• Space Champion!
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2008, 01:23:00 AM »
I've been reading the same issue of EW for about a month now. I CANNOT PUT IT DOWN!