Author Topic: What magazines do you read?  (Read 11454 times)

<<<<<

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: What magazines do you read?
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2008, 01:55:35 AM »
And sometimes I pick up Gothic Beauty in Borders, because I like the fashion spreads. I have a penchant for Renaissance and pinup fashion. Don't judge.

Ever been in it?  I mean, it wouldn't surprise me if you have been.

I was in one of those tattoo magazines once.  A bunny like the one from the cover of White Light from the Mouth of Infinity.  Kind of a weird non-event, that.

TheBrettster

• Policemans heel
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2008, 03:22:21 AM »
I have a subscription to Spin, mainly because I' always seem to stumble upon free subscriptions. It's not nearly as bad as you imagine (PFT had a year in review interview article) but some things make you cringe (the interview also featured the guy from Gym Class Heroes) every now and then. It helps if you don't read the reviews.

Besides that, I read Filter, The Believer and whatever looks pretty because I am five years old when it comes to buying magazines.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2008, 05:10:30 AM »
I'm looking for good writing/culture/music/film magazines to read or subscribe to, but I have no idea where to start.  I bought the last few issues of Yeti and liked them.  A friend also recently got me into ANP Quarterly, but I'm really looking for something more substantial.

What do you read?  Is print really dead?

*The idea for this thread came after reading Yesno's post about the psycho dandyThe Chap actually looks like it could be an interesting read.

I second the Believer recommendation and there is another magazine just like Yeti even has a similar name I just a cant think of it at the moment .

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2008, 06:40:14 AM »
I also dig Bust Magazine.

snoopywaves

• Policemans heel
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2008, 01:52:29 PM »
I am a magazine junkie. I read most of the music or culture magazines in Ireland, then also Time, Newsweek, National Geographic, Plan B, Skyscraper, sometimes FHM, occasionally Spin or Rolling Stone or Q or Mojo if I'm stuck... I've even been known to read Cosmopolitan if it's put near me.

There's something about being able to absorb well-presented information in chunks the length of one toilet visit. Print is definitely not dead.

Nicksy

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2008, 04:50:42 PM »
Cabinet!! I love it so much. It's the only magazine I read cover-to-cover.
hey what's up

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2008, 05:47:36 PM »

AllisonLeGnome

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2008, 06:04:42 PM »
To be honest, Razorcake is the only magazine I manage to buy consistently (I'm still mourning the loss of Punk Planet), but I always like The New Yorker.

ShawnFromUtah

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2008, 07:14:04 PM »
Definitely, Punk Planet R.I.P.

Out here in flyover country, we have the (sometimes) excellent Mountain Gazette, which has (until recently) featured some exceptional writing by legendary outdoorsy curmudgeons of the Ed Abbey persuasion. Its feel has been different since it changed ownership recently, but it's still worth checking out for free if you make it out to the Rocky Mtn. states: http://mountaingazette.com/

Other mags worth noting:
Elephant http://www.elephantjournal.com/
Boneshaker: A Bicycling Almanac http://www.wolverinefarmpublishing.org/pubs.shtml
Arthur http://www.arthurmag.com/
Momentum http://www.momentumplanet.com/

and The Sun is always a treat when I pick up a copy: http://www.thesunmagazine.org/
You can't make fun of the new guy. Maybe the Bad Brains can get away with it, I don't know.

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2008, 11:10:04 PM »
Does anybody read magazines they subscribe to online? Just curious. I sometimes read slate and always read some of the NY Times online, and then I've had my fill of online reading. Wondering what other people's habits are.

Sorry if this is a boring and tedious post. I promise to do better soon. Next week I will be full of pent-up rage and probably much more interesting.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2008, 10:47:58 AM »
Oh, yeah, I had a subscription to RS that just wouldn't die...

for YEARS this happened to me.  i subscribed when i was in high school and it followed me into my early twenties.  when it finally croaked, a woman my mother knows started giving me hers, claiming they would stop sending them to her and she doesnt know how her subscription came to be, let alone kill it.  

i now receive a stack of them when she visits.

i read SLATE online, and buy SPIN a la carte.  i used to buy HARP, which i really enjoyed until a few months ago...

Sarah

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2008, 10:55:15 AM »
Next week I will be full of pent-up rage and probably much more interesting.

I can't wait to hear you spew.

Nicksy

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2008, 11:19:28 PM »
Does anybody read magazines they subscribe to online?

No. I've thought about subscribing to the NY Times only for the NY Times magazine, though.
hey what's up

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2008, 11:48:37 PM »
Fingerstyle Guitarist
Mojo
Uncut
Paste
Wired
Scientific American
The American Mathematical Monthly (don't judge!)

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2008, 11:28:48 AM »
nerd alert.