Author Topic: Merriweather Post Pavillion  (Read 5040 times)

A.M. Thomas

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Merriweather Post Pavillion
« on: January 11, 2009, 03:04:48 AM »

I know a lot of posters on here are not a fan of the band, but to those who are, what do you think?

Despite still not having a great rip of the album, I've listened to it many times now and I'm confident in saying I love it.  I'm not usually a big fan of Pitchfork's review section (I tend to avoid that end of the site altogether, except for "Best New Music," which is often informative), but I really like their review.  To me, Animal Collective has grown into a band that can humanize even the most layered, electronic, sample-heavy music like no other.  I love their lyrical themes.  I love their melodies.  I love their songs.

Discuss.

I'm not a chicken,  you're a turkey.

Jouster

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Merriweather Post Pavillion
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 04:17:09 AM »
3 great songs.  The rest will (is) grow(ing) on me.  More importantly, I commend them for and appreciate the fact that they sound completely like themselves and are a unique and distinctive entity in the music world.  I don't think I've ever heard a song by them and not known it was them (which I think is sort of impressive in 2009).

A.M. Thomas

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 04:29:35 AM »
3 great songs.  The rest will (is) grow(ing) on me.  More importantly, I commend them for and appreciate the fact that they sound completely like themselves and are a unique and distinctive entity in the music world.  I don't think I've ever heard a song by them and not known it was them (which I think is sort of impressive in 2009).

Right on.  Which three do you like?

For me, right now, it's "Bluish."

"I'm getting lost in your curls"  Ahhhhhhhhhhh!

Gibby

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 05:43:54 AM »
I don't like it.

I have this policy where if a band has a run of three bad records, I write them off - but I give them the benefit of the doubt because all the hype makes me feel I'm missing out. I've given them so many chances but they seem to come up with the same LP everytime; a melding of some obscure 'folk' genre with 'oddball' tendencies taking in pseudo-psych, a faint stab at 'pop' (nothing that might constitute a hit record, mind) and lengthy tendencies toward unlistenable indulgent nonsense. Their last five full-lengths have had one INCREDIBLE song and the rest is a write-off. The first few didn't even give us the good songs.

Oddly, their EPs are often quite bold and interesting, and I really rated Person Pitch. They're just like magpies, taking bits of this and that regardless of how appropriate it is, reconstituting complex ethnomusic as liberal school hippie drivel.
"How do they see you when there's no light?"

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 10:54:10 AM »
I liked My Girls/Summertime Clothes/Brothersport /Lion in a Coma.

The rest I don't remember being wowed by, but it could just be that I forgot to assign a rating or wasn't paying attention.

No reason for extremes with this band.  I agree that they've never released an album that's good start to finish, but they always have enough highlights for me to enjoy following them.

And true, they're forumulaic, but at least it's *their* formula.  I mean, they're inspired by the past but they're not another one of these bands that just does a hyperreal, and dead inside, facsimile of some past style.  (Hey Vivian Girls!  How are you?)

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 11:34:48 AM »
Very strange that they named their album after a venue in the MD suburbs. I was so confused by this thread for a sec.
from the land of pleasant living

oilcantim

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 11:41:51 AM »
That album cover makes me dizzy.  I don't like it!

crumbum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 11:44:59 AM »
I haven't really spent any time with this band in the past, but I was swayed by the hype and the awesome headache-inducing artwork.

After 48 hours and maybe 3 listens, I love it; a lot of it takes me back to 'Deserter's Songs'/'All is Dream'-era Mercury Rev. They seem to strike a similar balance between psych weirdness and a kind of sweet, innocent quality in the lyrics and singing. This is my first impression though. I suppose I need to go through the back catalogue to get the full picture.

Dan B

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 11:50:52 AM »
I think it's great.  I'm all about "Summertime Clothes" and "Bluish." The gatefold LP is pretty sweet.   

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 11:56:10 AM »
That album cover makes me dizzy.  I don't like it!

http://www.ritsumei.ac.jp/~akitaoka/index-e.html

http://kids.niehs.nih.gov/illusion/illusions.htm

http://www.illusionking.com/moving-beans-optical-illusion/

I just included that last link for the excellent comments. "its not moving to me……..peice of crap" and "i dont know if its me or the shrooms dam im seeing jesus".

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 01:41:20 PM »
I'm just as thrilled by good optical illusions now as I was when I was 7.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 06:07:37 PM »
My experience with listening to this album was pretty much the same as my response when I saw them a couple times on the last tour, I like about half the songs and the rest bore me.  At least now I have the option of skipping around if I like.

Beth

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 02:49:18 AM »
I was really bored by Feels and Strawberry Jam,  but this one's awesome. I think "My Girls", and "Summertime Clothes" are my two favorites. I appreciate this record...it drops da bass and isn't shy about being big. I'm happy with it.

JBillington

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 06:31:46 AM »
I loved Strawberry Jam and Feels, and went absolutely mental over Person Pitch, so I'm guessing i'll like this? I am going to buy the CD, which came out today, but I'm guessing I'll have to wait to weekend to get a copy.

A.M. Thomas

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 12:44:45 PM »
I loved Strawberry Jam and Feels, and went absolutely mental over Person Pitch, so I'm guessing i'll like this? I am going to buy the CD, which came out today, but I'm guessing I'll have to wait to weekend to get a copy.

You'll love it then.

I assume Panda Bear's next album will also come out sometime later this year, which is very exciting.