Author Topic: 2009 Oscar Speculation Thread  (Read 10930 times)

Emily

• Space Champion!
Re: 2009 Oscar Speculation Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 11:18:35 PM »

As for Best Picture, I think the nominees will be something like this:

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON
MILK
SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
FROST/NIXON
DOUBT

I can usually call the winner when I see the clips, but I agree with you that Milk will probably win. I would just swap Ben Button with Rev Road.

For documentary I think Man on Wire will win.

Best actor - Mickey Rourke
Supporting actor - Heath Ledger

not sure about the actresses.. have to see the clips.

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 11:35:03 PM »
Synecdoche, New York isn't going to win a damn thing, is it? Just checking.

thepolak

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 11:44:41 PM »
Though I believe Milk should win, I bet Slumdog Millionaire will win.  Alas.  As for best actor, how do we value these things? 
Sean Penn was just being someone else who actually existed (and really being him) while Mickey Rourke was a fictional character.  And besides that wasn't Ryan from The OC in The Wrestler?  Immediate disqualification for its involvement in Fox teen drama. 

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009, 01:14:44 AM »
ACTRESS: SALLY HAWKINS
SUPPORTING ACTOR: will be HEATH LEDGER, should be EDDIE MARSAN

I could see Hawkins winning, she's got to be the dark horse right now, she was certainly really great.  My preference would be Michelle Williams for Wendy and Lucy but I doubt she'll get nominated.
You're right about Marsan, he was great, which was a total surprise to me since his role in Hancock was so awful.

I'm hoping Slumdog doesn't win but at this point I'd be pretty surprised if it didn't. 

Sarah

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 09:26:41 AM »
Although she didn't win the Golden Globe, I think Angelina Jolie's the frontrunner for best actress.

Really?  I haven't seen The Changeling, but she's never impressed me in... any role.  Girl, Interrrupted was an obnoxious movie.

Just to clarify, I haven't seen Changeling either and I'm not especially fond of her.

She was certainly awful in the ads for that movie. 

snogrog

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 10:11:46 AM »
Best Cameo - Todd Barry in The Wrestler.
He's this soulless bastard from Siberia. I once saw him shove Fred Savage's face in a toilet.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 12:49:04 PM »
At least I'm not as contrary as this loon, who uses the word "abortionhorny".

i had a hard time reading, so i didnt.  what a goon.

ericluxury

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2009, 03:35:51 PM »
Angelina Jolie really, really doesn't deserve an oscar for The Changeling. The movie was very well made, but she wasn't very good. It didn't help that they made her look distractingly like Betty Boop, so much that even in the scenes where she was supposedly in a mental institution for a few weeks, she had lots of eye make-up on (does she have eyeliner tattooed on? it appears so).
Even besides, she had an iciness that felt off. (It could be just her intense fame and the way that she markets herself so much as the ultimate mother in a way that doesn't remind me of moms.) All this stuff distracts when its a characters that she is playing.
Malkovich and Amy Ryan were fantastic in the movie though. If either one of them were nominated, it'd be justified (but neither will happen).

<<<<<

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2009, 04:21:29 PM »
This is a problem for me sometimes when an actor/actress suffers a serious amount of over-exposure that damages my ability to suspend disbelief re: their roles.  ie.  If I had to sit through Angelina Jolie playing a 19th Century farm wife in Illinois, I'd be like "oh give me a fargin' break," even if her acting was okay.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2009, 04:50:16 PM »
However: Jolie was pretty damn fantastic in A Mighty Heart, in my opinion.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2009, 06:56:12 PM »
However: Jolie was pretty damn fantastic in A Mighty Heart, in my opinion.

Yeah, that's the one time I think the acclaim for her performance was mostly justified.

emdasher

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2009, 06:55:31 PM »
Even though technically M.I.A.'s "Paper Planes" can't be nominated for anything, it should still be performed at this year's Oscars alongside a montage of clips from Pineapple Express, Slumdog Millionaire, and Hancock.

Beth

• Space Champion!
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2009, 08:37:29 PM »
I don't think Benjamin Button deserves nominations for anything other than special effects. It was lukewarm and sappy. 

Come on, Jason

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2009, 12:06:33 AM »
Way to go, Melissa Leo! 

I've yet to see Frozen River, but I'm assuming she knocked it out of the park and deserves to win - not because she was nominated for a tiny film nobody saw, but because I've seen every episode of Homicide: Life on the Street at least five times, and Sgt. Kay Howard can neither be topped nor stopped.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73vsHe3ly8I[/youtube]

hugman

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2009, 12:44:03 AM »
I cheered for Rourke when he won the golden globe, but I hadn't seen Milk, which I just saw, and I think the oscar's gotta go to Sean Penn.   Rourke was awesome, but Penn had a more complex job to do.  On another note, I'm ashamed to say that after 20 years of listening to the dead kennedys version of I Fought The Law, only now do I know what it's about.  errrrrrrrrrr-DUH!