Author Topic: Marc Maron  (Read 703569 times)

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
Re: Marc Maron
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2010, 07:11:36 PM »
I am a fan of Marc/WTF, but I'd have to agree with the Tom on WTF would work better than Marc on TBSOWFMU contingent. I am actually having a hard time imagining Maron being interviewed himself, though I agree he is quite good at interviewing.

Marc has recently been interviewed on Am I Right??, Adam Carolla, Comedy and Everything Else, Jordan Jesse GO!, and Fitzdog Radio.

Actually I did hear him on C&EE. Mostly, it sounded like Marc Maron doing a monologue.

trickrodd

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2010, 08:14:55 PM »
Yeah, I think Marc may just be too honest for some people's taste. Brutal honesty is his bread and butter. I didn't mean to imply that the boot segment illustrated racism, just that if you are predisposed to see him as racist, it certainly wouldn't help. Again, I'm a really big fan. I've seen him twice in the last week, and hell, he even won me an ipod shuffle on an episode of I Love Movies, so there's that. But I still don't think he'd be a good fit for TBSOWFMU.

put_it_away

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2010, 04:47:03 PM »
Looks like I set off a bit of a firestorm. I would agree with others that Tom may be a better guest on WTF than Marc would be on the Best Show.

Either way, I'm content to listen to both shows each week on their own.

Andy from Atlanta

• Policemans heel
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2010, 07:00:38 PM »
I've listened to his show on and off with mixed pleasure. At his best he can create an environment that makes for a very vulnerable and intimate interview but at his worst he can be overly personalized and narcissistic.

As far as the racist and misogynistic accusations on this thread, I have to say they hold merit. I'm on board with Barry Egan when he mentioned how every ethnic guest becomes a 'how hard it must be to actually be a minority' conversation. Anybody who takes college courses on race relations would automatically recognize his absolute fetishization with 'the other.' His more overt xenophobic remarks (I'm thinking of his travel stories in particular) don't help either.

Tom would be a better guest on his show for sure - but I don't see Tom being interested in guesting nor do I see Marc wanting Tom as a guest. Come on, it's a PODCAST WITH POTTY WORDS!
"The absence of limitations is the enemy of art."
— Orson Welles

Barry Egan

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2010, 05:44:38 AM »
As far as the racist and misogynistic accusations on this thread, I have to say they hold merit. I'm on board with Barry Egan when he mentioned how every ethnic guest becomes a 'how hard it must be to actually be a minority' conversation. Anybody who takes college courses on race relations would automatically recognize his absolute fetishization with 'the other.' His more overt xenophobic remarks (I'm thinking of his travel stories in particular) don't help either.

Thank you, Andy.  I was feeling alone on this one.

Again, I'd give Maron the benefit of the doubt on some of this questionable material if it was funnier and less condescending.

Also again, I wouldn't have this strong opinion about the guy if he wasn't dead set on branding himself the Raw Honest Comedian, which in addition to being 30 years past innovative, is ultimately about as honest as the Flamingo Guitar Comedian and the Ping-Pong Mouth-Juggler Comedian, and far less entertaining.

I'm less bothered by people thinking Maron's not a racist than people thinking he's a great interviewer.  He picks solid guests and delves into interesting topics, sure, but all that happens is the guest tells their story and then spends the rest of the time interviewing Marc Maron.  Every potentially interesting topic leads back to the same Sam Kinison Cocaine story, or a "I'm Horrible With Women" story.  He could interview Barack Obama and Merle Allin next week and about the same ground would be covered - this from a show that brags about its curiosity about people.  Come on.

He's one of the least curious comedians out there.  You're being hoodwinked, maximum funners.  

put_it_away

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2010, 08:54:53 AM »
I take everything I said back. After listening to the show from February with Matt Walsh this morning on the way to work, it is very clear that Tom isn't keen on dirty, filthy podcasters. This wouldn't go well at all.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2010, 10:49:31 AM »
I take everything I said back. After listening to the show from February with Matt Walsh this morning on the way to work, it is very clear that Tom isn't keen on dirty, filthy podcasters. This wouldn't go well at all.

I assume Maron was able to abide by FCC regulations during the time he was on Air America, when he co-hosted a show with a middle-aged black man (how racist).

Andy from Atlanta

• Policemans heel
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2010, 03:16:15 PM »
You're right, Chris L because he knows and works with a black person then he must not be a racist. That makes sense.

I'm not saying Maron is a racist in the racial epithet spouting sense - but very few intelligent people are any more (and this is coming from someone who lives in Atlanta.) Maron does reduce minorities to stereotypes in order to rationalize their existence in his dominant world. Is it out of malice? no. Is it typical behavior of a white person of privilege who was raised in a home that probably had backwards views of race relations? probably. He's mentioned his childhood and father on numerous shows.

He also frequently offers reasoning why a person may be racist as a product of their upbringing or societal upbringing - in terms of defense for their behavior. Just listen to the Kumail Nanjiani episode - he does it frequently.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I think Tom does an excellent job at handling issues of race and gender. If the topic even remotely veers towards something could be received as racist, sexist, or misogynistic he STEAMROLLS THE CHUMPS!
— Orson Welles

TacoSmith

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2010, 03:20:32 PM »
He's one of the least curious comedians out there.  You're being hoodwinked, maximum funners.  
Thanks you for finally opening my eyes. What a FOOL I've been.

P.S. Maximum funnners? Is the insinuation that we've all been convinced he's good by Jesse Thorn? No disrespect to Jesse, but you may be overestimating his influence.
"Straight-up, helicopters are beyond fresh."

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2010, 07:12:58 PM »

Again, I'd give Maron the benefit of the doubt on some of this questionable material if it was funnier and less condescending.

Also again, I wouldn't have this strong opinion about the guy if he wasn't dead set on branding himself the Raw Honest Comedian, which in addition to being 30 years past innovative, is ultimately about as honest as the Flamingo Guitar Comedian and the Ping-Pong Mouth-Juggler Comedian, and far less entertaining.

I'm less bothered by people thinking Maron's not a racist than people thinking he's a great interviewer.  He picks solid guests and delves into interesting topics, sure, but all that happens is the guest tells their story and then spends the rest of the time interviewing Marc Maron.  Every potentially interesting topic leads back to the same Sam Kinison Cocaine story, or a "I'm Horrible With Women" story.  He could interview Barack Obama and Merle Allin next week and about the same ground would be covered - this from a show that brags about its curiosity about people.  Come on.

I disagree. I've never heard the Kinison Cocaine story.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2010, 09:39:12 PM »

I'm less bothered by people thinking Maron's not a racist than people thinking he's a great interviewer.  He picks solid guests and delves into interesting topics, sure, but all that happens is the guest tells their story and then spends the rest of the time interviewing Marc Maron.  Every potentially interesting topic leads back to the same Sam Kinison Cocaine story, or a "I'm Horrible With Women" story.  He could interview Barack Obama and Merle Allin next week and about the same ground would be covered - this from a show that brags about its curiosity about people.  Come on.

I disagree. I've never heard the Kinison Cocaine story.

I think he's told it twice in the near-60 episodes.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

oilcantim

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2010, 09:49:01 PM »
He also frequently offers reasoning why a person may be racist as a product of their upbringing or societal upbringing - in terms of defense for their behavior. Just listen to the Kumail Nanjiani episode - he does it frequently.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I think Tom does an excellent job at handling issues of race and gender. If the topic even remotely veers towards something could be received as racist, sexist, or misogynistic he STEAMROLLS THE CHUMPS!

I assume you're being a bit facetious here... but if upbringing/societal factors aren't an explanation for 99% of racism, what is?  Demons?  A Meanness virus?

I think Maron views the podcast as a forum to discuss things that aren't otherwise discussed.  Tom's reaction to racists/misogynists, on the other hand, is about running a live radio show well.  Plugging your ears and going "nah nah nah nah" when someone says something awful in real life isn't a valid option, and neither is yelling at them. 

Andy from Atlanta

• Policemans heel
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2010, 10:05:32 PM »

I assume you're being a bit facetious here... but if upbringing/societal factors aren't an explanation for 99% of racism, what is?  Demons?  A Meanness virus?

I think Maron views the podcast as a forum to discuss things that aren't otherwise discussed.  Tom's reaction to racists/misogynists, on the other hand, is about running a live radio show well.  Plugging your ears and going "nah nah nah nah" when someone says something awful in real life isn't a valid option, and neither is yelling at them. 

I'm not being facetious and I'm not saying that societal background doesn't account for a majority of racism - BUT it isn't an excuse for being racist. That's the kind of thing I hear all the time - "He can't help he's racist just look at where he grew up!" You can help it. You can stop hate mongering.

— Orson Welles

oilcantim

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2010, 10:56:39 PM »
I think you're really underestimating how much of an effect those factors have on how we  see/react to our surroundings.  If you grow up in a racist society, you're hard wired to be racist, and it's very difficult for most people to recognize that and transcend it.  It's nearly impossible when you're stupid.

Why would someone stop hate mongering if they don't see what they do as hate mongering, and if nearly everyone and everything around them confirms all of their biases on a daily basis?  Plus, most racism isn't an active thing... if you're a black American, you're presented with an ideal of beauty that's very much caucasian.  You're told that the way you talk is flat out wrong.  These things obviously effect the way white people see black people too.

I think saying, "Just change how you act!" is overly simplistic.  I wish it were that simple, though.  Don't get me wrong!

(What was this thread about, again?  My views on racism, right?  Oh, good.)

scratchbomb

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2010, 11:26:25 PM »
If I could get lighter for a moment...

I saw Marc Maron in a short film years and years ago, "Stalker Guilt Syndrome", that I still think is hysterical. (ALthough this may add fuel to the "kinda misogynistic" fire).

http://jumbodump.com/2007/04/26/marc-maron-stalker-guilt-syndrome-short-film-nsfw/
scratchbomb.com: a potentially explosive collection of verbal irritants