Author Topic: Marc Maron  (Read 703570 times)

akaJudge

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Marc Maron
« Reply #120 on: June 30, 2010, 11:02:56 AM »
I just relistened to all her albums I have.  I never get tired of her, ever.
Your vigor for life appalls me.

Pidgeon

« Reply #121 on: July 15, 2010, 03:53:59 PM »
I finally heard the Mencia interviews. It made me just want to crawl in my bed and cry. God damn.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #122 on: July 15, 2010, 09:04:15 PM »
The Dane Cook interview is really good.

Although not on the same level as Mencia, Cook comes off a slightly bitter, kinda angry dude.  It's worth a listen; Marc does a great job of bringing up the Louis CK controversy and, IMO, Dane has a much better answer than Carlos.  It's a really good conversation, although it definitely didn't convert me as a Dane Cook fan (not that that was the purpose of the interview, but I like to go into the WTFs with comics I have a pre-conceived notion about with an open mind.  See also: The Jim Norton interview). 

I've really enjoyed the last few WTFs; pretty much everything since the Mencia podcasts have been good (although I haven't listened to The Sklar Bros. one yet).  It's found a place in my weekly Podcast playlist.

ALSO: Marc's material about the one comic stealing Dane's "essence" is great. 

The bit about 'stealing my essence' was great, especially as he seemed to be genuinely annoying Dane Cook. Dane started to sound like some HR guy trying to keep the office goof in line.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #123 on: July 16, 2010, 12:41:27 AM »
I'm going to see him at Brooklyn's Union Hall Monday.  I virtually never go to see comedians--well, I tried to get a ticket for PaulFT at the Bell House, but got aced out--but hey, the Best Show has me thinking I oughta start.  I understand the issues some have with Maron on the sexism/douchebag tips, but he was on Air America, James Wolcott loves him, and he does seem to be a good interviewer.  So who the hell knows?  I went to the Prospect Park show hosted by Eugene Mirman a couple of weeks ago and hey, Maron has to be funnier than Mark Showalter.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #124 on: July 16, 2010, 01:25:17 PM »
Holy crud, this week's show with Joe Wagner is the most unsettling episode yet. Yeesh. Still love it, though.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #125 on: July 16, 2010, 08:31:48 PM »
I saw Marc Maron here at the Comedy Attic (well, Funnybone at the time), and he was awesome.  I love how he rolled the first night into his podcast.  Definitely not Hard-G, but it might be interesting to listen to the dynamic between these two titans of comedy.  Whether it's Scharpling on wtf or Maron on TBS, probably won't matter because it probably won't happen.   :-\
 :'(
 >:(
 :)

I was at the Saturday show at the then Funnybone when he came to town. It was indeed an awesome comedy show.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #126 on: July 20, 2010, 12:30:17 AM »
Marc was on the radio today and mentioned that he feels great,  got rid of his old girlfriend, got a new girlfriend  but self admittedly has forgotten how to be funny. 

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #127 on: July 21, 2010, 04:28:26 AM »
let it be said that "funny" and "awesome" are two different notions.

Let it also be said that Maron pulls off both.

Pidgeon

« Reply #128 on: July 21, 2010, 02:36:22 PM »
I always have to skip ahead to the interview when listening to his podcast. He sounds like a seventeen-year-old during his trials-and-tribulations rants.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #129 on: July 22, 2010, 12:11:55 AM »
Anybody hear his worst comedy gig story about the first time he performed in Australia?

cas-vik

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #130 on: July 22, 2010, 01:27:22 PM »
Anybody hear his worst comedy gig story about the first time he performed in Australia?

No. Where would one find this story?

And Alex P, I feel the same way.  The interviews are fantastic but I find his monologues in the openings sort of embarrassing.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #131 on: July 22, 2010, 02:32:44 PM »
Actually I enjoy the opening monologues, they amuse me for some reason. The bit with wearing the jeans in the hot bath comes to mind...or the speculation as to why God destroyed the big Jesus statue with lightning.

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #132 on: July 23, 2010, 01:42:52 AM »
Actually I enjoy the opening monologues, they amuse me for some reason. The bit with wearing the jeans in the hot bath comes to mind...or the speculation as to why God destroyed the big Jesus statue with lightning.

The one where he got busted cheating by the airline sending the receipt to his house was amazing.  And it takes some kind of courage to share stuff like that.

put_it_away

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #133 on: July 23, 2010, 09:41:04 AM »
I'm catching up on some episodes now. Currently listening to the Maria Bamford one. Sometimes the show feels less like comedy and more like I am listening in on an intense therapy session.

colonel panic

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #134 on: July 23, 2010, 12:27:57 PM »
Let me start this by saying that I love WTF and look forward to it. I had no idea who he was until the podcast and now I'm a fan.

But I dread the coffee slurping and the inevitable "BLAM" (or whatever he says). I think my sensitivity stems from there being  a champion slurper in my cubicle farm.

I root for Mark in the intro monologues but yeah, I kind of wince sometimes.