Author Topic: Marc Maron  (Read 703642 times)

mike_b

• Achilles bursitis
Re: Marc Maron
« Reply #150 on: August 04, 2010, 03:08:09 PM »
That Patrice interview made my eyes water.

Jesus, dude.

Ike

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #151 on: August 05, 2010, 07:13:48 AM »
That Patrice interview made my eyes water.

Jesus, dude.

I listened to it on a long bike ride, and it literally ruined my night.  What a horrible, delusional person he is.

I gotta say, after the 'bombshell' 2/3 of the way through (his incarceration, or rather how he got there) his misogyny made sense.  He literally hates women.  I am thankful I've never met anyone like that in person. 

Maron's 'schtick' is wearing as well.   

Well it's been a long time since I've had my favorite drink

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #152 on: August 05, 2010, 07:26:23 AM »
I wasn't exactly sure who Patrice O'Neal was & I've been meaning to check - but the more responses I read over here, the less likely it is that I'm going to do that.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #153 on: August 05, 2010, 08:20:33 AM »
I listened to the Patrice O'Neal interview and am literally more traumatized than any currently living war veteran.  It took me 6 hours to type this, I'm shaking so bad.  I can only conclude from the fact that all of you aren't equally as damaged that you're all creepy misogynists. 

crumbum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #154 on: August 05, 2010, 08:44:22 AM »

I gotta say, after the 'bombshell' 2/3 of the way through (his incarceration, or rather how he got there) his misogyny made sense.  He literally hates women.  I am thankful I've never met anyone like that in person. 

I'd call it more of a fear of women, but I guess it boils down to the same thing either way. He seems to believe that women are on some level all out to entrap him and mess with his mind (and by extension that's how all women act with all men). The statutory rape charge (if you take his story at face value) must be behind some of that but I'd bet the attitude goes to something a lot deeper.

Ike

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #155 on: August 05, 2010, 09:15:57 AM »
I listened to the Patrice O'Neal interview and am literally more traumatized than any currently living war veteran.  It took me 6 hours to type this, I'm shaking so bad.  I can only conclude from the fact that all of you aren't equally as damaged that you're all creepy misogynists.

I can only conclude, from this post, that you hate women.  Cock-man-oppressor. 

Totally fine being creeped out and disgusted by P. Oneal, and totally fine with hyperbole. 
Well it's been a long time since I've had my favorite drink

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #156 on: August 05, 2010, 12:24:55 PM »
Maron's 'schtick' is wearing as well.

anti-semite.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #157 on: August 05, 2010, 01:09:21 PM »
I came very close to seeing Patrice O'Neal this summer at the comedy festival. I didn't know anything about him, but his show was recommended to me, and so I got some tickets. Turns out he wasn't let into the country, so I exchanged my tickets for Kim Noble's show "Kim Noble Will Die."

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Kim Noble's show was more disturbing than O'Neal's show would have been. Some of the most harrowing "comedy" I've ever seen.

erechoveraker

« Reply #158 on: August 13, 2010, 05:13:58 PM »
I just listened to the Dane Cook interview today. He came across as a nice enough guy to me. At no point did he say anything funny, but I'm more inclined to believe his version of his "joke stealing" accusations than I am Mencia's. I don't know if he seemed bitter and angry. I thought he just seemed a little overly defensive and was really on guard in case Maron really decided to go at him. I think he's probably got some mental problems, but I also think anyone who reaches his level of success has to be a little bit nuts.

Cook came across really well in the interview I thought. I keep getting the impression about Maron though from listening to this episode, and the Birbigs one, that Maron is or comes across as a major, jealous, bitter dick irl. The kind of guy who is mad he isn't more famous than so and so. It's also telling to me that, given all these comedians who he has known for years and years (20 in a few cases), admitted by both sides that sitting down and talking on the podcast is the most they've ever talked at all. I'm not under the illusion that all comedians hang out in some magic green room and share their most intimate moments together, but Maron doesn't seem to have many close friends in the business either. Actual friends. Something he gets on Cook about for why people, in the industry at least, don't like him.

ErnieWV

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #159 on: August 13, 2010, 08:14:50 PM »
Marc speaks to a wide variety of comics and although I don't find his podcast as engaging or entertaining as Jimmy Dore's I have learned a lot from it. I think it's telling that he was very close to Sam Kinison. I think he was very heavily influenced by Kinison and is on some level trying to overcome that influence by quitting drugs and making a seemingly conscious effort to be more tolerant.

waltkellysghost

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #160 on: August 13, 2010, 08:49:31 PM »
I'm sure a lot of complaints about Maron are totally merited, but you gotta admit that he is getting pretty good at this podcast thing.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #161 on: August 13, 2010, 08:51:38 PM »
He's a great interviewer, in the podcast arena probably only second to Jesse Thorn, who I joke about, but have total respect for his talent.

not that clay

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #162 on: August 13, 2010, 09:03:52 PM »

Alright, I'm curious enough to want to know what the story is but not so curious as to get myself all worked up. What's the short version? Patrice O'Neal, dogfighter? Rapist? Antisemite?

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #163 on: August 13, 2010, 09:34:08 PM »

Alright, I'm curious enough to want to know what the story is but not so curious as to get myself all worked up. What's the short version? Patrice O'Neal, dogfighter? (Statutory) Rapist? Antisemite?

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #164 on: August 13, 2010, 09:34:20 PM »

Alright, I'm curious enough to want to know what the story is but not so curious as to get myself all worked up. What's the short version? Patrice O'Neal, dogfighter? Rapist? Antisemite?

Possibly B
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."