Author Topic: Marc Maron  (Read 703568 times)

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
Re: Marc Maron
« Reply #165 on: August 13, 2010, 09:47:48 PM »
I keep getting the impression about Maron though from listening to this episode, and the Birbigs one, that Maron is or comes across as a major, jealous, bitter dick irl.

I think calling it an "impression" may be understating it since he pretty much admits to being this way every time he interviews someone he was a jerk to (pretty much every comedian he's interviewed for the podcast).
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

erechoveraker

« Reply #166 on: August 13, 2010, 09:55:34 PM »
I think calling it an "impression" may be understating it since he pretty much admits to being this way every time he interviews someone he was a jerk to (pretty much every comedian he's interviewed for the podcast).

Yeah, totally. I think Maron thinks he has changed, or gotten better though. Or doesn't still exude that. Whatever. Seems when listening to almost any interview in the last few months though, that's not the case from anyone else's perspective.

Why is the topic of this guy and his show so interesting to me the last few weeks?

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #167 on: August 13, 2010, 10:37:05 PM »

Why is the topic of this guy and his show so interesting to me the last few weeks?

Also, interesting how this thread has persevered and morphed for -- what, weeks, months?
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

CaptKarl

• Policemans heel
« Reply #168 on: September 16, 2010, 12:26:54 PM »
WTF w/ Jesse Thorne today has some interesting FOT talk. Backhanded compliments or complimentary diss depending on your perspective. Definitely would set up an interesting Maron guest spot.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #169 on: September 16, 2010, 07:25:41 PM »
FOT talk? Can you give us the gist (jist) of it? I am about 15 episodes behind Mort's show.

CaptKarl

• Policemans heel
« Reply #170 on: September 16, 2010, 08:23:32 PM »
Dave, I will see if I can out of context summarize the conversation so that The Best Show reference makes sense.

Of course it Mort Marons so their is the ever-present "this always has to circle back to me" current running through his conversations. Jesse Thorn and Maron were discussing the proliferation yet de-centralization of geek culture, and how neither of them feel at home with or self-identify as geeks, though they would classify themselves more closely with geeks than jocks. At 47 you would think you would have made peace with your station socially, but that is neither here nor there.

Maron says that he feels more pressure and judgement these days from the geek culture camps that have formed because of the internet, and to be specific he called out (not by proper name) FOT's as the camp that have given him "the most shit". It seemed almost as if he had been reading the forum posts about him, and that was the criticism he was referring to. He actually said that it kind of hurt his feelings, and that he would like to have overlap with Tom's audience, but he felt that some of Scharpling fans were part of some super geek, pseudo-intelligentsia.  Thorn then postulated that the deep commitment that fans of The Best Show have in the program can create a blind spot in some fan's eyes, and the dick's that are Best Show fans are quick to "give shit" for no reason. Both mentioned that they are realy Tom's friends and think it is silly that they would catch guff from the Best Show crowd, as they both like the show. Maron made it clear that he was kind of jealous of the FOT fervor.

Honestly, they were both being complimentary to both Tom and the Show. Marc wasn't being confrontational or condescending. I think he was just asking why he would be catching shit, from what perceived to be somehow an organized effort by fans of something that he himself likes.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #171 on: September 16, 2010, 11:41:34 PM »
Thanks Capt,

I have to admit, I hate it when not every single person likes me, too.

dfk

amiright??

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #172 on: September 17, 2010, 02:57:29 PM »
Capt - when I heard him say that, I tried to remember whether anyone had said anything on the show. All I could remember was Tom complimenting him and awful lot, but, you're right - this thread must have been what let to that exchange.

Way to go, jerks!

(I don't think you're jerks)

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #173 on: September 17, 2010, 03:52:47 PM »
Well, keep in mind that even when Tom compliments him he refers to his "toilet-mouth show I can't say on the air."
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

amiright??

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #174 on: September 17, 2010, 05:11:32 PM »
Well, keep in mind that even when Tom compliments him he refers to his "toilet-mouth show I can't say on the air."

I was just about to point out that it was a joke and Maron's a comic, and I stopped myself when I thought of the joke that Jad Abrumrad made that offended him at MaxFunCon...

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #175 on: September 18, 2010, 01:08:37 AM »

I was just about to point out that it was a joke and Maron's a comic, and I stopped myself when I thought of the joke that Jad Abrumrad made that offended him at MaxFunCon...

What joke was that?

Man, now I gotta start catching up on my WTF's. I'm about 8 behind now.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #176 on: September 18, 2010, 08:05:44 AM »

What joke was that?

Man, now I gotta start catching up on my WTF's. I'm about 8 behind now.

When asked his opinion of Maron, the guy said something like "Seems like a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there."

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #177 on: September 18, 2010, 08:07:22 AM »

This is true, but Maron's very explicit that he was insulted by fans of the show, not by Tom. He went out of his way to say that he likes both Tom and the show.

Rick in Salt Lake

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #178 on: September 18, 2010, 10:38:57 AM »
He's a great interviewer, in the podcast arena probably only second to Jesse Thorn, who I joke about, but have total respect for his talent.

He certainly can be a great interviewer. His interview with the tragically unfunny Mencia was great as was the follow-up. His interview with Robin Williams revealed things we never see from Mork. But I thought his interview with Ben Stiller could have been improved by including the pre-interview segment in which Maron unzipped Stiller's fly with his teeth. Such butt-kissing is the stuff of legend...
"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now. Only much, much better."

"This heaven gives me migraine."

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #179 on: September 18, 2010, 01:45:47 PM »
The recent Tom Lennon interview was great (though I may be biased as a fan of THE STATE) and the Judd Apatow 2 parter was also good, especially part 1 with tapes of old interviews Judd did with Leno, Gary Shandling and Jerry Seinfeld.

I hope this forum isn't the cause of Maron's beef with fans of the Best Show because this forum is only a tiny percentage of Best Show fans and the people who posted negative comments about Maron are an even smaller fraction than that. His problem is literally with fewer than five people.