Author Topic: Marc Maron  (Read 703661 times)

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
Re: Marc Maron
« Reply #180 on: September 18, 2010, 02:58:09 PM »
Well, if you're reading this, Marc, I just wanna say I saw you at Union Hall and you were great!
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

amiright??

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #181 on: September 18, 2010, 04:49:10 PM »
Well, keep in mind that even when Tom compliments him he refers to his "toilet-mouth show I can't say on the air."

I was just about to point out that it was a joke and Maron's a comic, and I stopped myself when I thought of the joke that Jad Abrumrad made that offended him at MaxFunCon...
What joke was that?

He told him something to the effect that Maron's head was a nice place to live, but that he wouldn't want to live there... Which Jesse pointed out is pretty much the premise of Maron's whole persona...

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #182 on: September 18, 2010, 11:39:30 PM »
Mark, If I could get your cell phone number, I would tell you person to person that I think you are terrific. But I won't be able to do that until I have your number.

David

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #183 on: September 19, 2010, 12:04:02 AM »
Mark, If I could get your cell phone number, I would tell you person to person that I think you are terrific. But I won't be able to do that until I have your number.

Second. It's a testament to the show that I don't have to like the guest in order to like an episode. Or have heard of a guest. And the monologues are great too. Now post your phone number so we can start thanking you personally.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #184 on: September 19, 2010, 01:00:37 PM »
My initial thought was that Maron's description of "weird, highbrow condescension" was probably a pretty good 3-word summation of the FOT reaction to his show. (It's also an accurate description of the way I try to approach most things in life!)

But then I went  back and looked at this 12-page thread, and it's 99% praise and enthusiasm for the show. It seemed like he may just have been jealous of the rabid loyalty of Best Show fans, which is reasonable enough.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #185 on: September 19, 2010, 02:49:46 PM »
There were a couple of people along the way in this thread who I think were more interested in pointing out our shortcomings for liking Marc Maron's work than in trashing Maron himself. That was some pretty definite condescension happening. Which whatever really.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #186 on: September 20, 2010, 12:46:34 AM »
Oh. My. Goodness.

http://gawker.com/5642206/comedian-live+tweets-sitting-next-to-ken-mehlman-on-a-plane-exposes-nipple

Wait ... you can live tweet from an airplane? I'm totally out of touch with the 21st century.

So actually, maybe you should skip that gawker post and just read the actual sequence of events at: http://twitter.com/marcmaron ... start at the post "On plane. Upgraded. Sitting next to former GOP party leader Ken Mehlman. This is gonna be good" ... and scroll up from there.

I'd say that Maron's reaction to this twist of fate was kinda juvenile and kinda brilliant. Pretty much what you'd expect.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

waltkellysghost

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #187 on: September 20, 2010, 02:28:09 AM »
The nipple pic is going to be infamous. I admit I laughed uncontrollably when I opened it up.

CaptKarl

• Policemans heel
« Reply #188 on: September 20, 2010, 09:12:30 AM »
The nip slip is brilliant. Man the sun really is shining out Maron's nether regions these days. There really needs to be a Scharpling v. Maron meetup whether it be WTF or Best Show, I think either way works.

orator

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #189 on: September 20, 2010, 06:39:35 PM »
Hey, Marc, you probably aren't reading this, but if you are, I enjoy your podcast and you seem like a good dude.
"Come partake of my fruit baskets."

Mark in Helsinki

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #190 on: September 22, 2010, 05:25:51 PM »
He's a great interviewer, in the podcast arena probably only second to Jesse Thorn, who I joke about, but have total respect for his talent.

Jesse Thorpe?! I really like the kid, but he is way too NPR and can't stand his phony laughs during those promo "interstitials," and the fact that he uses the word interstitial at all.

Jesse gets some great guests, and does his homework but there is no comparison (in my dumb opinion) between Marc and Jesse. Marc may be a jerk or sometimes possess faults that everyone here has chimed in on, but at least he seems real. Almost too much so.

(however, that said, given your very polite telephone habits, dave from knoxville, I can see how you might prefer the genteel Jesse)
"Is this me?"

Rhymes with Don Draper

• Policemans heel
« Reply #191 on: September 22, 2010, 06:40:15 PM »
Jesse Thorne once disrespected me on his Jordan Jesse Go! podcast and I've had mixed-feelings about the guy ever since then.  He's an intelligent fellow and a good interviewer, but he also seems like an arch, ironic personality who can't wipe the smirk out of his voice.  Maybe he can't get fully break into Public Radio because Program Directors are worried that older listeners will be put off by him for those reasons. 

There---  VITRIOL DISPERSED!

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #192 on: September 22, 2010, 07:24:52 PM »
Tom post-quitting TBSOWFMU would be one fantastic interview. ;)

Keith Whitener

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #193 on: September 22, 2010, 07:34:38 PM »
<3 Morton

Rhymes with Don Draper

• Policemans heel
« Reply #194 on: September 22, 2010, 08:03:37 PM »
He's an intelligent fellow and a good interviewer, but he also seems like an arch, ironic personality who can't wipe the smirk out of his voice.

There---  VITRIOL DISPERSED!

Yeah, I don't get his 'New Sincerity' thing when, despite the name he seems to rely on irony just as much as any of the other young public radio personalities.

I think Thorn's "New Sincerity" is just a bluff.  If someone wants to be sincere then just be sincere.  Don't hide it behind a post Post-Modern concept that collapses in on itself.

Ira Glass is Ira Glass because he's genuine.  Jesse Thorn is Jesse Thorn because he's approximately but ironically genuine.