Author Topic: Marc Maron  (Read 703602 times)

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
Re: Marc Maron
« Reply #195 on: September 22, 2010, 09:36:06 PM »
He's an intelligent fellow and a good interviewer, but he also seems like an arch, ironic personality who can't wipe the smirk out of his voice.

There---  VITRIOL DISPERSED!

Yeah, I don't get his 'New Sincerity' thing when, despite the name he seems to rely on irony just as much as any of the other young public radio personalities.

I would guess "New Sincerity" is intended ironically.

Senator Gothman (D-OR)

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #196 on: September 22, 2010, 10:45:16 PM »
Jesse Thorne ... an intelligent fellow and a good interviewer, but he also seems like an arch, ironic personality who can't wipe the smirk out of his voice....

THANK you.  /applause

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #197 on: September 24, 2010, 12:11:07 PM »
Jesse Thorne ... an intelligent fellow and a good interviewer, but he also seems like an arch, ironic personality who can't wipe the smirk out of his voice....

THANK you.  /applause

The few times I've interacted with Jesse he seemed to be 100% genuine and an overall sweet guy.

Rhymes with Don Draper

• Policemans heel
« Reply #198 on: September 24, 2010, 08:49:49 PM »

THANK you.  /applause

The few times I've interacted with Jesse he seemed to be 100% genuine and an overall sweet guy.

Who knows--  if I met Thorne in-person he could be a nice guy and I could have a change of heart, but what I wrote is the impression that I get of him.

Still--  if he reads this he can take comfort in the fact that he has a more interesting career than I do.

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #199 on: September 26, 2010, 12:56:20 AM »
Jesse Thorne once disrespected me on his Jordan Jesse Go! podcast

Deats!

Rhymes with Don Draper

• Policemans heel
« Reply #200 on: September 26, 2010, 04:21:31 AM »

Deats!

It's a complicated story that doesn't add up to much.  I'll just say that JT rubbed me the wrong way when he responded to my feedback and, having unleashed my inner Margaret Dumont, it changed my opinion of him.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #201 on: September 26, 2010, 01:38:10 PM »

Deats!

It's a complicated story that doesn't add up to much.  I'll just say that JT rubbed me the wrong way when he responded to my feedback and, having unleashed my inner Margaret Dumont, it changed my opinion of him.

Look, I don't think he walks on water. Specifically, Chris Douchewick, I mean Hardwick was on JJG once and talked about seeing a film in Memphis with his dad. He was disgusted by the audience response to it, bur his reason was along the lines of Southerners not being smart enough as a group to understand it. Now, if that's a joke, I am OK, but it wasn't, he was snide and condescending, and Jesse didn't call him on it. That really pissed me off.

But it doesn't undo my opinion that when he does an interview, he's extremely well prepared, and he asks questions that most interviewers would not. He does the work and it shows.

Jason

« Reply #202 on: September 26, 2010, 02:11:58 PM »
Podcast Beef.

Sploops

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #203 on: September 26, 2010, 02:57:59 PM »

Specifically, Chris Douchewick, I mean Hardwick was on JJG once and talked about seeing a film in Memphis with his dad. He was disgusted by the audience response to it, bur his reason was along the lines of Southerners not being smart enough as a group to understand it. Now, if that's a joke, I am OK, but it wasn't, he was snide and condescending, and Jesse didn't call him on it. That really pissed me off.

I believe Chris Douchewick is from Tennessee, therefore he's allowed to talk shit about Memphis filmgoers. 

Keith Whitener

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #204 on: September 26, 2010, 02:59:42 PM »
<3 Douchewick. I go out of my way to download shows he's on even if they're shows I don't normally listen to. I appreciate his jocular and erudite perspective.

CaptKarl

• Policemans heel
« Reply #205 on: September 27, 2010, 09:16:09 AM »

Specifically, Chris Douchewick, I mean Hardwick was on JJG once and talked about seeing a film in Memphis with his dad. He was disgusted by the audience response to it, bur his reason was along the lines of Southerners not being smart enough as a group to understand it. Now, if that's a joke, I am OK, but it wasn't, he was snide and condescending, and Jesse didn't call him on it. That really pissed me off.

I believe Chris Douchewick is from Tennessee, therefore he's allowed to talk shit about Memphis filmgoers.
Hardwick's people are from the south, but he moved away from TN when he was 13. I am with Dave on this one, because I got the same feeling from his remarks on JJG. I don't know that people outside of the south realize how flippantly offensive the baseline characterization of southern people is, and when it is folks that call NY or LA home it compounds the insult by about 5X.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #206 on: September 27, 2010, 09:45:03 AM »

Hardwick's people are from the south, but he moved away from TN when he was 13. I am with Dave on this one, because I got the same feeling from his remarks on JJG. I don't know that people outside of the south realize how flippantly offensive the baseline characterization of southern people is, and when it is folks that call NY or LA home it compounds the insult by about 5X.

Greg Proops is prone to a similar thing in his standup, but when I've heard him interviewed, he goes out of his way to point out that stupidity is everywhere and that singling out the South is both the easy way out and inaccurate.

I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #207 on: September 27, 2010, 12:00:17 PM »

Funny that Douchewick trashes the South but New Yorker Todd Barry has that great bit about '...isn't that what you expected Alabama was like, you fake liberal f****?'

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #208 on: September 27, 2010, 12:35:13 PM »

Funny that Douchewick trashes the South but New Yorker Todd Barry has that great bit about '...isn't that what you expected Alabama was like, you fake liberal f****?'

Yes! I just got this album and I loved that bit. I travel to the South a lot, and it's no more or less stupid than anywhere else.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Rhymes with Don Draper

• Policemans heel
« Reply #209 on: September 27, 2010, 03:30:41 PM »
He's not a big name, but comedian Kevin O'Shea has a funny joke about prejudices towards the South:  "I have to say, one part of the country that I do not like is the South (although I've never been there or know anyone who's from there)."

More so than the East Coast it seems that people from the West Coast have this monolithic understanding of what Southern culture is and what people from the South are like.  It's very much rooted in this satisfied, liberal sense-of-self that many Californians have, as well as the fact that most people outside of the South gain most of their knowledge of the area through Social Studies in school (which tends to focus on the history of Slavery and racism in the region.)  And I state this as someone who's born and raised in California, still lives there and considers himself liberal in his political viewpoint.

But as someone who has good friends from the South and as someone who's been there, the place is much more nuanced and complex than outsiders give it credit for, and it peeves me whenever I hear people who obviously have no real knowledge of the place denigrate it.  (For instance:  one time I was in a Borders inadvertently eavesdropping on two people and when one of them said "I'm moving to Texas", the other one said "why would you ever want to live there?!")  Sure, racist and/or conservative White Trash are in the South, but if travel 25-50 miles inland from San Francisco you'll encounter plenty of racist and/or conservative White Trash there too.  People are people, good or bad, and they live almost everywhere.